Is pc gaming really worth all the troubles?

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
i love pc gaming. i love the graphics and framerates i can acheive with games that can barely run on a console. but really... it seems like the games have my by the balls just to make them run. theirs always some stupid bullshit of, oh the drivers dont work, the game wasnt optimized right, oh the computer crashes. oh *** why is this weird thing happening now when it wasnt yesterday? i feel like i cant enjoy my games cuz im always dealing with bad frame rates, crashes and so on. am i the only one!?!?!?! what am i doing wrong !!! i have a decent system that untill recently was tearing through games.

MOBO: biostar ta790gx 128m
CPU: phenom 2 x4 945 overclocked 3.6 ghz
RAM:8 gigs ddr2
VIDEO: sapphire hd6850
PSU: ocz 650 watt

i really am getting tired of this stuff. any thoughts or ideas?

Overall, it is still a decent PC for games.

Crashes can occur for many reasons including an OC'ed CPU, potential viruses, a bloated Registry... etc... I would begin with a fresh install of Windows. Backup any important files like saved games 'cause yer gonna be wiping the C: drive with a fresh install.

After the fresh install of Windows apply every single update for your OS like the Service Pack(s), MS Net FrameWork, DirectX Redistributable 2010, Anti Virus + definitions...etc. Basically anything you would normally have on your PC excluding games. Then create a backup of your C: Drive I use Acronis True Image (~$40) to make a backup of my C: Drive because it usually takes about 5 - 7 hours for my PC to be completely updated and configured to my own personal liking. Doing so saves me time and trouble if I need to re-install Win 7 for whatever reasons. After my C: Drive has been backed up. I would then install games.

Here's a free hard drive back up software. don't know how good it is 'cause I never used it.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

I don't know what your expectations are for gaming performance, but if you find that even after a fresh install the performance is lower than what you would like, then you should consider buying a newer, more powerful graphic card. The CPU is still pretty decent, but an Intel Core i5 (either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge) should help increase performance in games that are dependent on the CPU like Skyrim, BF3 and Civilization 5.

As for "the games wasnt optimized right", if you mean the actual game itself then there's nothing you can do other than wait for patches to be released.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

hey man i really appreciate the feedback. i really am just in a funk cuz i feel like im throwing my money away here for something thats more trouble than its worth. my windows install is only about 4 months old. i dont do hardly anything except game and watch youtube/netflix. so its not viruses. its just no one cares about games they put out anymore, theyre all broken and never work right.

You'll likely find similar issue with console games with regards to game patches, but they are automatic rather being done manually by you.

The HD 6870 is slightly better than my HD 5850 in terms of overall raw performance. But it does have a 2nd generation DX11 circuitry which makes DX11 titles run better on the HD 6870, but DX9 and DX10 games generally run better on the HD 5850. You should be able to play most games with high settings at 1080p / 1200p.

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

how are the drivers? i have realized the drivers for the 6850 have cause my problems lately. look in the graphics fourum for my post

Gallarian

Distinguished
Ah.. I must admit, I feel the same way sometimes. You pour money, time and effort in to your PC and every now and then it throws it back in your face.

But to be honest, thats also something I like about the PC, its your Personal Computer! Not every one is just some clone like the consoles, its something you built and can upgrade and look after. PC's arent just for the hobby of playing games, but theyre a hobby themselves!

Hang in there mate!

schecterplayer

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

glad to know im not the only one! thanks

rpg_poser

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Typical of PC's, but to me their flexiblity makes up for a lack of stability. I have an intermittent hardware issue, so I feel your frustration.
There is something to be said for the relative stability of a console, but quite frankly, the controllers suck (except for the wavebird). When you get sick of dealing with your PC, pop in an xbox game and fuggetabout it for a while.

May 29, 2014
PC gaming is the peak. You can tweak things under the hood (literally), add whatever you want, and learn from a crashed PC. You can invest $600-700 into a PC, or you can spend $1200-1400 on replacement Xbox 360's. In reality though, it is a good thing to PC game and console game so you have access to a larger library.