SBS 2000 Shared Fax & XP SP2

On client machines after we installed XPSP2 the clients could no longer print
to the the shared fax on the SBS2000 Server. I tried to remove the fax and
re-install it on the client but it would not re-install. I then removed XPSP2
and then the Shared fax would install and work again.

Any Ideas as to a work around for this?
3 answers Last reply
More about 2000 shared

    More info:

    On a system that did not have sp2 I connected to the shared fax and was able
    to use it fine, then I upgraded to sp2 and got the following error:

    The dialog box titel is: Winword.exe Unable to find Component.

    fxsres.dll is is the component that it could not find.
    -------------------

    "Nathan SUPERTECH" wrote:

    > On client machines after we installed XPSP2 the clients could no longer print
    > to the the shared fax on the SBS2000 Server. I tried to remove the fax and
    > re-install it on the client but it would not re-install. I then removed XPSP2
    > and then the Shared fax would install and work again.
    >
    > Any Ideas as to a work around for this?

    I had the same issue and found the following worked
    Remove the shared fax printer from the client PC.
    Then add the fax services component from add/remove programs and
    windows components (you will probably need the XP CD or Cabs).
    Then re-install the shared fax printer on the client machine.
    The shared fax wizard then works fine. It will prompt you to configure
    the shared fax wizard.
    I did all this and now working fine with some added functionality.

    Hope this helps

    "Nathan Supertech" <Nathan Supertech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<B3B6478C-59B1-43F9-8EFD-1E5E6240A11A@microsoft.com>...
    > More info:
    >
    > On a system that did not have sp2 I connected to the shared fax and was able
    > to use it fine, then I upgraded to sp2 and got the following error:
    >
    > The dialog box titel is: Winword.exe Unable to find Component.
    >
    > fxsres.dll is is the component that it could not find.
    > -------------------
    >
    > "Nathan SUPERTECH" wrote:
    >
    > > On client machines after we installed XPSP2 the clients could no longer print
    > > to the the shared fax on the SBS2000 Server. I tried to remove the fax and
    > > re-install it on the client but it would not re-install. I then removed XPSP2
    > > and then the Shared fax would install and work again.
    > >
    > > Any Ideas as to a work around for this?

    I ended up just adding the fxsres.dll file back from another system and that
    fixed the problem.

    "Matt" wrote:

    > I had the same issue and found the following worked
    > Remove the shared fax printer from the client PC.
    > Then add the fax services component from add/remove programs and
    > windows components (you will probably need the XP CD or Cabs).
    > Then re-install the shared fax printer on the client machine.
    > The shared fax wizard then works fine. It will prompt you to configure
    > the shared fax wizard.
    > I did all this and now working fine with some added functionality.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > "Nathan Supertech" <Nathan Supertech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<B3B6478C-59B1-43F9-8EFD-1E5E6240A11A@microsoft.com>...
    > > More info:
    > >
    > > On a system that did not have sp2 I connected to the shared fax and was able
    > > to use it fine, then I upgraded to sp2 and got the following error:
    > >
    > > The dialog box titel is: Winword.exe Unable to find Component.
    > >
    > > fxsres.dll is is the component that it could not find.
    > >
    > > "Nathan SUPERTECH" wrote:
    > >
    > > > On client machines after we installed XPSP2 the clients could no longer print
    > > > to the the shared fax on the SBS2000 Server. I tried to remove the fax and
    > > > re-install it on the client but it would not re-install. I then removed XPSP2
    > > > and then the Shared fax would install and work again.
    > > >
    > > > Any Ideas as to a work around for this?

Fax Microsoft Windows XP