Case Question

G

I was thinking about buying a case from the US, however, the mains voltage in the UK is 140v as opposed to 120v. So that would mean a new PSU right?, and would that fit ok in a standard atx tower case? Thanx in advance.

May all your pins remain unbent. :)

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
erm, me thinks you mean <b>2</b>40 not 140V !!
Not sure about psu's purchased abroad, but the ones you get here (uk) have a voltage selector on the back, to switch from 120V to 220/240V, also, I believe USA mains is 60Hz ? could be wrong on that, but if that is the case, I dont know seather this would cause any problems, by the way what case are you looking at? isnt the same one available in uk?

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

Yeah, sorry, 240v .. the case was an e-bay auction item.. none too sure of the brand/make. Does the 60mhz or the 220v thing make using a US 300w PSU impossible?

May all your pins remain unbent. :)

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Most (but not all) power supplies can be switched between 120 and 240 volts, simply by flipping a switch on the back of the PSU. Of course you will need to get a new cable as the 3 prong US outlet has a different layout from the UK outlets.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
yes most of the newer PSU have a switch on the back for 120 or 240.

cyprus

"Beware of computer programmers that carry screwdrivers."
Leonard Brandwein.

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
I moved to the UK a year ago from the US. I brought 2 CPU's with me. The 50Hz/60Hz difference is not an issue. All my systems are running switchable PSU's, and all are running fine.

I've found it difficult to find switchable PS in the UK, but without exception the ones I've purchased in the US have had a switch. Even if the PS isn't dual voltage, you can easily get a 240 V supply here for about £15.

JCC

TRENDING THREADS