[EQ] Does anyone tradeskill anymore?

Since re-starting EQ, I've had my SK in Lower Guk. I started him at the
entrance to the dead side, worked past the bedroom, and am now working the
spiders and gargs. His packs were full of silk, so I pulled him out last
night and transferred the silks to my mule (who's not been up since I came
back).

Adjusted prices (boy, have things changed), and went to bed.

This morning, I had sold a Lammy for three times what I remember them going
for, a Wurmy for twice what I remember them going for, a few old pieces of
crusty armor for twice what I remember it going for .... and not a single
silk at 1/3 of what I remember them going for.

That seems to indicate to me that no one tradeskills anymore, or at least
that no one is a beginning tradeskiller anymore. Of course, its anecdotal
evidence with and a supposition on top, but I would think that out of 400 or
so silks someone would've bought at least a stack.

Crash

Crash86 wrote:

> That seems to indicate to me that no one tradeskills anymore, or at
least
> that no one is a beginning tradeskiller anymore. Of course, its
anecdotal
> evidence with and a supposition on top, but I would think that out of
400 or
> so silks someone would've bought at least a stack.
>
> Crash

I think tradeskills have dropped from what it used to be.
1. Not as many people are involved in tradeskills since its easier to
purchase items from other players.
2. Most of the players involved in trade skills have moved beyond lower
level trade skills to higher levels skills.
3. There is not that much interest in making the items except to level
up to the higher skills

Personally, I do fletching, and my kids are doing jewelcrafting,
tinkering, and starting up pottery baking.

The sale of basic components is not consistent either from day to day.
Maybe you had a bad night.

On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:59:05 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
wrote:

>Since re-starting EQ, I've had my SK in Lower Guk. I started him at the
>entrance to the dead side, worked past the bedroom, and am now working the
>spiders and gargs. His packs were full of silk, so I pulled him out last
>night and transferred the silks to my mule (who's not been up since I came
>back).
>
>Adjusted prices (boy, have things changed), and went to bed.
>
>This morning, I had sold a Lammy for three times what I remember them going
>for, a Wurmy for twice what I remember them going for, a few old pieces of
>crusty armor for twice what I remember it going for .... and not a single
>silk at 1/3 of what I remember them going for.
>
>That seems to indicate to me that no one tradeskills anymore, or at least
>that no one is a beginning tradeskiller anymore. Of course, its anecdotal
>evidence with and a supposition on top, but I would think that out of 400 or
>so silks someone would've bought at least a stack.
>
>Crash

Even the robe needed in Earring of Solctice that trivs at 252 needs
silks, so they are not just for rookie tradeskillers.

They'll sell. May take a week or two, or tomorrow, but they'll sell.
Don't get too frustrated that they didn't sell in one night.

Esp with caps increased to 300, even the old school tradeskillers are
working on skilling up.

"Larry Laffer" wrote:
> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:59:05 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
> wrote:

<snip>

>>That seems to indicate to me that no one tradeskills anymore, or at least
>>that no one is a beginning tradeskiller anymore. Of course, its anecdotal
>>evidence with and a supposition on top, but I would think that out of 400
>>or
>>so silks someone would've bought at least a stack.
>>
>>Crash
>>

> Even the robe needed in Earring of Solctice that trivs at 252 needs
> silks, so they are not just for rookie tradeskillers.
>
> They'll sell. May take a week or two, or tomorrow, but they'll sell.
> Don't get too frustrated that they didn't sell in one night.
>
> Esp with caps increased to 300, even the old school tradeskillers are
> working on skilling up.

Interesting. I didn't realize that they'd raise the skill cap. I must've
missed that.

In any case, it looks like the day of the 20 plat silk has gone away, at
least on Cazic Thule. There are a bunch out there for 3, though. ;-)

Crash

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

> "Larry Laffer" wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:59:05 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>>That seems to indicate to me that no one tradeskills anymore, or at
>>>least that no one is a beginning tradeskiller anymore. Of course,
>>>its anecdotal evidence with and a supposition on top, but I would
>>>think that out of 400 or
>>>so silks someone would've bought at least a stack.
>>>
>>>Crash
>>>

>> Even the robe needed in Earring of Solctice that trivs at 252 needs
>> silks, so they are not just for rookie tradeskillers.
>>
>> They'll sell. May take a week or two, or tomorrow, but they'll sell.
>> Don't get too frustrated that they didn't sell in one night.
>>
>> Esp with caps increased to 300, even the old school tradeskillers are
>> working on skilling up.
>
> Interesting. I didn't realize that they'd raise the skill cap. I
> must've missed that.
>
> In any case, it looks like the day of the 20 plat silk has gone away,
> at least on Cazic Thule. There are a bunch out there for 3, though.
> ;-)

I understand that they also reversed the nerf to silk drop rates a while
back. I think that's one of the most effective quick fixes they could have
implemented to help slow the downward spiral of the economy. I never
understood why they nerfed those drop rates in the first place.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Rumbledor" wrote:
> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> "Larry Laffer" wrote:
>>> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:59:05 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Even the robe needed in Earring of Solctice that trivs at 252 needs
>>> silks, so they are not just for rookie tradeskillers.
>>>
>>> They'll sell. May take a week or two, or tomorrow, but they'll sell.
>>> Don't get too frustrated that they didn't sell in one night.
>>>
>>> Esp with caps increased to 300, even the old school tradeskillers are
>>> working on skilling up.
>>
>> Interesting. I didn't realize that they'd raise the skill cap. I
>> must've missed that.
>>
>> In any case, it looks like the day of the 20 plat silk has gone away,
>> at least on Cazic Thule. There are a bunch out there for 3, though.
>> ;-)
>>

> I understand that they also reversed the nerf to silk drop rates a while
> back. I think that's one of the most effective quick fixes they could have
> implemented to help slow the downward spiral of the economy. I never
> understood why they nerfed those drop rates in the first place.

Didn't make much sense to me either, to be honest. All it managed to do was
make EK a battleground for farmers and drive silk prices through the roof.

Crash

On Tue, 03 May 2005 17:21:39 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> "Larry Laffer" wrote:
>>> On Tue, 3 May 2005 08:59:05 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>>> Even the robe needed in Earring of Solctice that trivs at 252 needs
>>> silks, so they are not just for rookie tradeskillers.
>>>
>>> They'll sell. May take a week or two, or tomorrow, but they'll sell.
>>> Don't get too frustrated that they didn't sell in one night.
>>>
>>> Esp with caps increased to 300, even the old school tradeskillers are
>>> working on skilling up.
>>
>> Interesting. I didn't realize that they'd raise the skill cap. I
>> must've missed that.
>>
>> In any case, it looks like the day of the 20 plat silk has gone away,
>> at least on Cazic Thule. There are a bunch out there for 3, though.
>> ;-)
>>

>I understand that they also reversed the nerf to silk drop rates a while
>back. I think that's one of the most effective quick fixes they could have
>implemented to help slow the downward spiral of the economy. I never
>understood why they nerfed those drop rates in the first place.

SpiderLING silk drops were nerfed when they added drops for newbie
quest armour on spiderlings,and its still not reverted back to the old
droprate.
Spider Silk drop rate from Craigs in EK was always the same all this
years.
Prices for spider silk dropped from 10p to 3p or so,because everyone
and their brother has much better gear now,which makes farming Craigs
in EK very easy.
Last I did 1/2 a year go I collected 600 silks in 90 minutes with a
(well equipped) 55 Ranger.

Tradeskill ingredients needed for higher level skills like
Acrylia,Velium and assorted pelts,hides and furs are still pretty
expensive,not much changed over the years.For example I sold a dozen
Velium hound Furs for 700p each not long ago.

Conclusion:you can still make a living with farming tradeskill stuff.

Melforge 55 Ranger

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

> On Tue, 03 May 2005 17:21:39 GMT, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

>>> <snip>

>>> Interesting. I didn't realize that they'd raise the skill cap. I
>>> must've missed that.
>>>
>>> In any case, it looks like the day of the 20 plat silk has gone
>>> away, at least on Cazic Thule. There are a bunch out there for 3,
>>> though. ;-)
>>>

>>I understand that they also reversed the nerf to silk drop rates a
>>while back. I think that's one of the most effective quick fixes they
>>could have implemented to help slow the downward spiral of the
>>economy. I never understood why they nerfed those drop rates in the
>>first place.
>
> SpiderLING silk drops were nerfed when they added drops for newbie
> quest armour on spiderlings,and its still not reverted back to the old
> droprate.

From the 12/15/04 patch notes...

"- The drop rate of spiderling silk has been increased, as there are
many new combines that require this item as a component."

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?
board.id=Crier&message.id=59&highlight=spiderling+silk#M59

Whereas they may not have actually reversed the nerf, they have since
increased the drop rate.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message

> That seems to indicate to me that no one tradeskills anymore, or at least
> that no one is a beginning tradeskiller anymore. Of course, its anecdotal
> evidence with and a supposition on top, but I would think that out of 400 or
> so silks someone would've bought at least a stack.

SOE nerfed the trivials of Solstice robes a few months back, hence lower
demand for silk.

--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

On Tue, 03 May 2005 18:51:47 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 03 May 2005 17:21:39 GMT, Rumbledor
>> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in

>>>I understand that they also reversed the nerf to silk drop rates a
>>>while back. I think that's one of the most effective quick fixes they
>>>could have implemented to help slow the downward spiral of the
>>>economy. I never understood why they nerfed those drop rates in the
>>>first place.
>>
>> SpiderLING silk drops were nerfed when they added drops for newbie
>> quest armour on spiderlings,and its still not reverted back to the old
>> droprate.
>
>From the 12/15/04 patch notes...
>
>"- The drop rate of spiderling silk has been increased, as there are
>many new combines that require this item as a component."
>
>http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?
>board.id=Crier&message.id=59&highlight=spiderling+silk#M59
>
>Whereas they may not have actually reversed the nerf, they have since
>increased the drop rate.

Hm,I dont know,they always told us a lot of things which were flat out
wrong,and I still find not much spiderling silk in spiderlings in The
Feerot,but always some stuff for the newbie armour quest.
And there is still the problem with mobs under the surface,spiderlings
in EK and rock spiderlings in BB are still below the surface quite
often.
So all in all spiderLING silks are still harder to come by than spider
silk,and Bazaar prices reflect this.

Meldur

HI IM A 27 NECRO NAMED FIRENICE ON THE PS2 EVERQUEST GAME ON THE FURUN
HOPE SERVER. ANY ONE WHO WOULD LOVE TO GROUP WITH ME PLEASE DO.

FIRENICE

MY FRIEND DOSE HIS NAME IS YANOSE

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> writes:
> Tradeskill ingredients needed for higher level skills like
> Acrylia,Velium and assorted pelts,hides and furs are still pretty
> expensive,not much changed over the years.For example I sold a dozen
> Velium hound Furs for 700p each not long ago.

What always boggles me is that apparently there are people able
and willing to pay those prices! I scrape up my plat from hunting
and/or playing the market in the bazaar, and every once in a while
I've spent as much as 50-70K for a single piece of gear that I knew
I'd use for a long time (e.g., fungi), but I blanch every time I see
tradeskill components at 700 each and realise I'd need about 500 of
them to train up that stretch of the tradeskill, and often the items
I'd be making won't even sell for much.

Where do people come up with millions of plat to throw around? Do
people make 10K per session at the top levels, or is it just that
folks who've played for 6+ years have accumulated a lot of plat, or
what? (I'll give y'all the benefit of the doubt and assume you're
not buying it from IGE. :)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 54 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 15 on E. Marr

On Thu, 5 May 2005 12:52:20 -0700, JSharp1954@webtv.net wrote:

>HI IM A 27 NECRO NAMED FIRENICE ON THE PS2 EVERQUEST GAME ON THE FURUN
>HOPE SERVER. ANY ONE WHO WOULD LOVE TO GROUP WITH ME PLEASE DO.
>
>FIRENICE
>
>MY FRIEND DOSE HIS NAME IS YANOSE

1) Caps Lock is not your friend

2) Get your own thread, don't hijack someone else's

3) Get a real internet service

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <7w64xx2zm5.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> writes:
> > Tradeskill ingredients needed for higher level skills like
> > Acrylia,Velium and assorted pelts,hides and furs are still pretty
> > expensive,not much changed over the years.For example I sold a dozen
> > Velium hound Furs for 700p each not long ago.
>
> What always boggles me is that apparently there are people able
> and willing to pay those prices! I scrape up my plat from hunting
> and/or playing the market in the bazaar, and every once in a while
> I've spent as much as 50-70K for a single piece of gear that I knew
> I'd use for a long time (e.g., fungi), but I blanch every time I see
> tradeskill components at 700 each and realise I'd need about 500 of
> them to train up that stretch of the tradeskill, and often the items
> I'd be making won't even sell for much.

Velium Hound Fur is for the coldain prayer shawl quest. I'd expect most
people who just buy it at 700pp, or 1k, or 2k are buying it for the
quest... but perhaps not.

> Where do people come up with millions of plat to throw around?

By -not- blowing 350k on velium hound fur. ;) At least not unless
they've got 500k coming in from something else they're doing.

> Do
> people make 10K per session at the top levels, or is it just that
> folks who've played for 6+ years have accumulated a lot of plat, or
> what?

As any wealthy individual will tell you: spend less than you make and
you eventually will be rich.

Sadly, most people spend exactly what they make. (and more if they can
borrow it). These people will never be rich. Even if they had a million
pp they'd be perma-broke again in a few months. (Just like too many
lotto winners in the real world)

EQ unlike the real world has no tempting credit industry, has no
unexpected cash flow jolts (e.g. medical emergencies, car accidents),
and doesn't even have any regular ongoing costs beyond rations and water
flasks. (No mortgages, clothing expenses, insurance, phonebills, taxes
etc...)

In EQ its trivially easy to spend less than you make, it causes me no
end of amusement that so many people are still perpetually broke, living
at the edge of or beyond their means.

It seems to be a part of the human condition for the great majority. EQ
is a great social experiment in that regard, because it proves that even
if you remove all the overhead of life, and give people complete control
over their expenses relative to their income a huge pile of them will
wind up perpetually broke.

42 wrote:

> As any wealthy individual will tell you: spend less than you make and
> you eventually will be rich.

My main is a level 60 ranger. When I started out, I didn't get in a
guild until I was over level 30. Other than just to check things out,
I rarely left Qeynos/Qeynos Hills/The Karanas until about that level.
I didn't even go into the bazaar until I was in my 20's and even then
it was just to buy a weapon. I did all of the newbie armor quests and
wore that *forever*. I joined my guild in my early 30's and started
learning about things like tradeskills and started doing them. I
ended up getting my pottery and brewing skills up high enough that
I could make prismatic dyes to sell in the bazaar. Started selling
those and researching other tradeskill items that would sell. I
worked on fletching to get it up high enough to make elemental bows
and started selling them.

I had over 100K in the bank before I started upgrading my armor in
any significant way. And I did it slowly. I also spent long hours
doing quests for some of the things that I wear. All of the time,
I would hear and watch people spending 10K here and 20K there and
then listen to them complain because they never had any money and
they'd ask how I was able to have a bankroll. Of course, they didn't
want to hear that I had spent 6 months farming acrylia to get my
fletching up high enough to make elemental bows. Or the 3 or 4
hours a week doing the combines for the dyes to sell in the bazaar.
Or the five or six levels that my druid spent in Stonebrunt levelling
because she could also forage bamboo shoots while there. Or that
I believe that spending 20K on an item that gives me a one or two
point upgrade in a stat isn't worth it. They want to know how they
can make 100K *today* and that I don't know how to do. :p

Tracey

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <427A9983.5070101@aol.com>, rbrancher2@aol.com says...

> 42 wrote:
>
> > As any wealthy individual will tell you: spend less than you make and
> > you eventually will be rich.
>
> My main is a level 60 ranger. When I started out, I didn't get in a
> guild until I was over level 30. Other than just to check things out,
> I rarely left Qeynos/Qeynos Hills/The Karanas until about that level.
> I didn't even go into the bazaar until I was in my 20's and even then
> it was just to buy a weapon. I did all of the newbie armor quests and
> wore that *forever*. I joined my guild in my early 30's and started
> learning about things like tradeskills and started doing them. I
> ended up getting my pottery and brewing skills up high enough that
> I could make prismatic dyes to sell in the bazaar. Started selling
> those and researching other tradeskill items that would sell. I
> worked on fletching to get it up high enough to make elemental bows
> and started selling them.
>
> I had over 100K in the bank before I started upgrading my armor in
> any significant way. And I did it slowly. I also spent long hours
> doing quests for some of the things that I wear. All of the time,
> I would hear and watch people spending 10K here and 20K there and
> then listen to them complain because they never had any money and
> they'd ask how I was able to have a bankroll. Of course, they didn't
> want to hear that I had spent 6 months farming acrylia to get my
> fletching up high enough to make elemental bows. Or the 3 or 4
> hours a week doing the combines for the dyes to sell in the bazaar.
> Or the five or six levels that my druid spent in Stonebrunt levelling
> because she could also forage bamboo shoots while there. Or that
> I believe that spending 20K on an item that gives me a one or two
> point upgrade in a stat isn't worth it. They want to know how they
> can make 100K *today* and that I don't know how to do. :p

A little luck doesn't hurt either... a guildmate picked up a discordant
scoriae for 5 silver off an npc yesterday. 90k in the bazaar. Of course
the guildmate promptly found a 120k item she wanted, spent all her
money, and borrowed some more from a friend... and is now more broke
then before. :)

42 wrote:
> In article <427A9983.5070101@aol.com>, rbrancher2@aol.com says...
>

>>42 wrote:
>>

>>>As any wealthy individual will tell you: spend less than you make and
>>>you eventually will be rich.
>>
>>My main is a level 60 ranger. When I started out, I didn't get in a
>>guild until I was over level 30. Other than just to check things out,
>>I rarely left Qeynos/Qeynos Hills/The Karanas until about that level.
>>I didn't even go into the bazaar until I was in my 20's and even then
>>it was just to buy a weapon. I did all of the newbie armor quests and
>>wore that *forever*. I joined my guild in my early 30's and started
>>learning about things like tradeskills and started doing them. I
>>ended up getting my pottery and brewing skills up high enough that
>>I could make prismatic dyes to sell in the bazaar. Started selling
>>those and researching other tradeskill items that would sell. I
>>worked on fletching to get it up high enough to make elemental bows
>>and started selling them.
>>
>>I had over 100K in the bank before I started upgrading my armor in
>>any significant way. And I did it slowly. I also spent long hours
>>doing quests for some of the things that I wear. All of the time,
>>I would hear and watch people spending 10K here and 20K there and
>>then listen to them complain because they never had any money and
>>they'd ask how I was able to have a bankroll. Of course, they didn't
>>want to hear that I had spent 6 months farming acrylia to get my
>>fletching up high enough to make elemental bows. Or the 3 or 4
>>hours a week doing the combines for the dyes to sell in the bazaar.
>>Or the five or six levels that my druid spent in Stonebrunt levelling
>>because she could also forage bamboo shoots while there. Or that
>>I believe that spending 20K on an item that gives me a one or two
>>point upgrade in a stat isn't worth it. They want to know how they
>>can make 100K *today* and that I don't know how to do. :p
>

> A little luck doesn't hurt either... a guildmate picked up a discordant
> scoriae for 5 silver off an npc yesterday. 90k in the bazaar. Of course
> the guildmate promptly found a 120k item she wanted, spent all her
> money, and borrowed some more from a friend... and is now more broke
> then before. :)

A while back, a guildie found some bags full of something (black gold
inlays, maybe?) that, when sold to a vendor, they ended up getting
500K from it. They spent a week in the zone where they found them
and PoK, oocing asking if anyone had lost these bags in the zone where
he found them. He still feels guilty, I think, about selling the items
and has hardly touched the money he got from them.

Tracey

In alt.games.everquest, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>In EQ its trivially easy to spend less than you make, it causes me no
>end of amusement that so many people are still perpetually broke, living
>at the edge of or beyond their means.

And in EQ, banked cash makes no income through interest, and hence, there's
no value to holding onto cash in any form at all.

Because there is no in-game living cost, having no money isn't a problem
either.

So the ideal state to be in is to have no cash, every bit of gear you
wanted, but able to make more cash quickly should you find something else
you wish to buy.

It amuses me no end to hear about people with 1 million pp in the bank and
nothing to spend it on.

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
Recommended Author : David Gemmell

Jonathan

Tony Evans wrote:
> In alt.games.everquest, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> In EQ its trivially easy to spend less than you make, it causes me no
>> end of amusement that so many people are still perpetually broke,
>> living at the edge of or beyond their means.
>
> And in EQ, banked cash makes no income through interest, and hence,
> there's no value to holding onto cash in any form at all.
>
> Because there is no in-game living cost, having no money isn't a
> problem either.
>
> So the ideal state to be in is to have no cash, every bit of gear you
> wanted, but able to make more cash quickly should you find something
> else you wish to buy.
>
> It amuses me no end to hear about people with 1 million pp in the
> bank and nothing to spend it on.

Most gear depreciates much more quickly than plat does. 100k plat will get
better gear now then what you would have spent it on two expansions ago.
There are a few exceptions. AoN seem to be getting more and more expensive,
but in general if one were going to take a break from EQ he or she would be
better off liquidating whatever possesions possible.

--
Sinaiel Soulmerchant
Wraith of Misericordia

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <427aaab7$0$38040$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, postmaster@
[127.0.0.1] says...
> In alt.games.everquest, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >In EQ its trivially easy to spend less than you make, it causes me no
> >end of amusement that so many people are still perpetually broke, living
> >at the edge of or beyond their means.
>
> And in EQ, banked cash makes no income through interest, and hence, there's
> no value to holding onto cash in any form at all.
>
> Because there is no in-game living cost, having no money isn't a problem
> either.

If it was no problem then why do they complain endlessly about it? ;)

> So the ideal state to be in is to have no cash, every bit of gear you
> wanted, but able to make more cash quickly should you find something else
> you wish to buy.

And therein lies the problem with having no cash. It often takes money
to make money, especially if you want to do it quickly, so there is a
point to running a healthy float. It also lets you take advantage of
bargains as they come along, etc.

> It amuses me no end to hear about people with 1 million pp in the bank and
> nothing to spend it on.

While nearing the very endgame that can happen, its not a problem most
people have to deal with. There's always guild tribute I suppose :)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> > So the ideal state to be in is to have no cash, every bit of gear you
> > wanted, but able to make more cash quickly should you find something else
> > you wish to buy.
>
> And therein lies the problem with having no cash. It often takes money
> to make money, especially if you want to do it quickly, so there is a
> point to running a healthy float. It also lets you take advantage of
> bargains as they come along, etc.

Yes, and that's the tradeoff I've occasionally bumped up against.
I try not to be at zero plat for both of those reasons, but then
I have to decide when it's worth spending it. More than once, I've
bought a bargain for resale, and then moments later spotted another
bargain that I actually want to buy and keep, but I no longer have
the cash for it.

The Barter Hall has helped in this regard. Now I can list the items
I'm looking for to keep, and setting aside some plat on my Barter
mule means I'm far less likely to spend it on "investment" items.

On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:21:07 GMT, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> writes:
>> Tradeskill ingredients needed for higher level skills like
>> Acrylia,Velium and assorted pelts,hides and furs are still pretty
>> expensive,not much changed over the years.For example I sold a dozen
>> Velium hound Furs for 700p each not long ago.
>
>What always boggles me is that apparently there are people able
>and willing to pay those prices! I scrape up my plat from hunting
>and/or playing the market in the bazaar, and every once in a while
>I've spent as much as 50-70K for a single piece of gear that I knew
>I'd use for a long time (e.g., fungi), but I blanch every time I see
>tradeskill components at 700 each and realise I'd need about 500 of
>them to train up that stretch of the tradeskill, and often the items
>I'd be making won't even sell for much.
>
>Where do people come up with millions of plat to throw around? Do
>people make 10K per session at the top levels, or is it just that
>folks who've played for 6+ years have accumulated a lot of plat, or
>what? (I'll give y'all the benefit of the doubt and assume you're
>not buying it from IGE. :)

Maybe Velium Hound Furs was not the best example,cause its used
in Prayer Shawl quest,the furs I sold were left overs from doing the
quest.
But there are still *flawless* hopper hides,as far as I know only good
for raising tailoring,these sell for 300p to 500p,and are very easy to
come by (for my 67 Ranger),if I really wanted to make plat.

I know a player,who started half a year ago,he is playing the bazaar
game mostly,a quick browse through his trader comes up with stuff
for around 2 millions.
I think it depends how you play,I am not very concerned about plat,
usually I pass on Ldon named drops,if I dont need them for an alt or
know a friend who would like it.
Usually I have around 50k cash sitting in the bank,most of it coming
from Halas meat pie and Grobb Liquidized Meat,sometimes I make
cash from OoW drops,especially runes,but thats rare.
Other nice source of income is Natimbi,hunting there for 20 AAs with
a 55 Ranger I found several of the necklaces which sell for 20 or 30k.
But I like all my chars nicely equipped,so mostly I spent money I made
pretty fast on stuff I cant get myself or with only 1 group like
Ornate armour,of which has the 55 Rng several pieces,among them
Tunic and Leggings,pretty costly.

Browsing through my 3 Mains(67Rng,55Rng,65Cle) I find around
items bought for around 500k on them and rarely did pure plat
hunting in my 5 years EQ.
So I would think,if I had been more concerned about plat all this
time,I easily would have several millions.

Meldur

On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:09:05 GMT, Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote:

>42 wrote:
>
>> As any wealthy individual will tell you: spend less than you make and
>> you eventually will be rich.
>
>My main is a level 60 ranger. When I started out, I didn't get in a
>guild until I was over level 30. Other than just to check things out,
>I rarely left Qeynos/Qeynos Hills/The Karanas until about that level.
>I didn't even go into the bazaar until I was in my 20's and even then
>it was just to buy a weapon. I did all of the newbie armor quests and
>wore that *forever*. I joined my guild in my early 30's and started
>learning about things like tradeskills and started doing them. I
>ended up getting my pottery and brewing skills up high enough that
>I could make prismatic dyes to sell in the bazaar. Started selling
>those and researching other tradeskill items that would sell. I
>worked on fletching to get it up high enough to make elemental bows
>and started selling them.
>
>I had over 100K in the bank before I started upgrading my armor in
>any significant way. And I did it slowly. I also spent long hours
>doing quests for some of the things that I wear. All of the time,
>I would hear and watch people spending 10K here and 20K there and
>then listen to them complain because they never had any money and
>they'd ask how I was able to have a bankroll. Of course, they didn't
>want to hear that I had spent 6 months farming acrylia to get my
>fletching up high enough to make elemental bows. Or the 3 or 4
>hours a week doing the combines for the dyes to sell in the bazaar.
>Or the five or six levels that my druid spent in Stonebrunt levelling
>because she could also forage bamboo shoots while there. Or that
>I believe that spending 20K on an item that gives me a one or two
>point upgrade in a stat isn't worth it. They want to know how they
>can make 100K *today* and that I don't know how to do. :p
>
>Tracey

This reminds me,,when I started out on a new server with a Ranger,
I made a fortune with hunting in Stonebrunt,had a Cloak of Flames
at level 37. =)
Now everytime some guildie ask in guidlchat where to hunt at low
levels,I tell them do SWT/EC-WC-EK-SBM/EK if you want to be rich at
level 40,but what route do they *all* take???
1 to 24 Paladual,some slacking up to high twenties until they can go
DSP,then DSP up to 40,and then wondering why they are broke.

Maybe I am different,but I like to be good geared at all levels,even
if this means leveling somewhat slower,but from 55+ up this means,
if I really wanted to I will leave most players far and fast beyond
me.
I will never understand why Stonebrunt is always deserted,what
a great zone,very impressive scenery,very safe hunting if you did
some exploring and know the 1 or 2 safe spots,very good loot.

Sadly,this leads me to beleive most players are plain stupid or are
sheeps.

Meldur

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1ce433fdca1ee362989b10@shawnews:

> In article <7w64xx2zm5.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
>> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> writes:
>> > Tradeskill ingredients needed for higher level skills like
>> > Acrylia,Velium and assorted pelts,hides and furs are still pretty
>> > expensive,not much changed over the years.For example I sold a dozen
>> > Velium hound Furs for 700p each not long ago.
>>
>> What always boggles me is that apparently there are people able
>> and willing to pay those prices! I scrape up my plat from hunting
>> and/or playing the market in the bazaar, and every once in a while
>> I've spent as much as 50-70K for a single piece of gear that I knew
>> I'd use for a long time (e.g., fungi), but I blanch every time I see
>> tradeskill components at 700 each and realise I'd need about 500 of
>> them to train up that stretch of the tradeskill, and often the items
>> I'd be making won't even sell for much.
>
> Velium Hound Fur is for the coldain prayer shawl quest. I'd expect most
> people who just buy it at 700pp, or 1k, or 2k are buying it for the
> quest... but perhaps not.
>
>> Where do people come up with millions of plat to throw around?
>
> By -not- blowing 350k on velium hound fur. ;) At least not unless
> they've got 500k coming in from something else they're doing.
>
>> Do
>> people make 10K per session at the top levels, or is it just that
>> folks who've played for 6+ years have accumulated a lot of plat, or
>> what?
>
> As any wealthy individual will tell you: spend less than you make and
> you eventually will be rich.
>
> Sadly, most people spend exactly what they make. (and more if they can
> borrow it). These people will never be rich. Even if they had a million
> pp they'd be perma-broke again in a few months. (Just like too many
> lotto winners in the real world)
>
> EQ unlike the real world has no tempting credit industry, has no
> unexpected cash flow jolts (e.g. medical emergencies, car accidents),
> and doesn't even have any regular ongoing costs beyond rations and
water
> flasks. (No mortgages, clothing expenses, insurance, phonebills, taxes
> etc...)
>
> In EQ its trivially easy to spend less than you make, it causes me no
> end of amusement that so many people are still perpetually broke,
living
> at the edge of or beyond their means.
>
> It seems to be a part of the human condition for the great majority. EQ
> is a great social experiment in that regard, because it proves that
even
> if you remove all the overhead of life, and give people complete
control
> over their expenses relative to their income a huge pile of them will
> wind up perpetually broke.

What is the point of money in EQ if you don't spend it? Like you said,
there is no overhead of life to pay (well, you do need to get food and
water of some type), no rent, no mortgage, no utility bills...

The only thing the cash is good for is to spend on things you want for
your character(s).

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired

"Jonathan" <phoenixprince@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Tony Evans wrote:
>> In alt.games.everquest, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In EQ its trivially easy to spend less than you make, it causes me
>>> no end of amusement that so many people are still perpetually broke,
>>> living at the edge of or beyond their means.
>>
>> And in EQ, banked cash makes no income through interest, and hence,
>> there's no value to holding onto cash in any form at all.
>>
>> Because there is no in-game living cost, having no money isn't a
>> problem either.
>>
>> So the ideal state to be in is to have no cash, every bit of gear you
>> wanted, but able to make more cash quickly should you find something
>> else you wish to buy.
>>
>> It amuses me no end to hear about people with 1 million pp in the
>> bank and nothing to spend it on.
>
> Most gear depreciates much more quickly than plat does. 100k plat
> will get better gear now then what you would have spent it on two
> expansions ago. There are a few exceptions. AoN seem to be getting
> more and more expensive, but in general if one were going to take a
> break from EQ he or she would be better off liquidating whatever
> possesions possible.

True, but, using that logic, you will never spend it...

So, what is the point of having it?