Temps of T-bird vs XP

ColdCathode

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
I currently have a 1.4 Tbird and was wondering what temps I would expect if I bought a Xp 1600. Being at the same clock speed does the XP run cooler? and if so how much on avg? thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My T-bird overheated last summer on a 33C day, with the AC on, cracked the core. I still got $50 trade in on the core when I picked up a used replacement.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried an XP 1700+ in my A7V-133 rig. Normally I run a T-bird 1.4 OC to 1.55 GHz. I have an 80mm fan and funnel on a Volcano II heat sink that has been lapped. My temps when loaded on the T-bird hover around 48 to 49 centigrade. The XP when pushed to the same 1.55 GHz. (FSB overclock) was running 42 to 44 in the same motherboard with the same cooling solution. So you chould expect around 5 degrees improvement with the XP.

Scout

uraniborg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I agree that your temps are fine, 104 F is nothing at all.

Scout, you said you ran an XP1700+ on a A7V133 motherboard? i wasn't aware that this kind of Mobo could handle XPs... that's cool if they can. i have an asus a7v133 with a 1200 tbird, and a volcano II. i just lapped the hs, and got much better temps, from 42 to 46 idle.

so, could i get an XP processor for my mobo?

thanks.

<b>uraniborg
<font color=purple>"Brilliant thinkers have often met violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, there's a fly in the ointment. You need to flash the A7V-133 BIOS to the latest 1007 version to recognize the XP chip. When I did (while I still had the 1.4 T-bird in) I immediately got all sorts of instability. It acted like it was overclocked even at the rated 1.4 speed with sporadic no boots and freezes. Yuk I thought and went back to my 1003a version. I found a 1008 Beta BIOS and flashed to that with somewhat better results, but still not right.

Hummm I thought, maybe it will like the XP chip better. So I went ahead and installed the 1700+ chip and ran benchmarks but periodic freezes were still occurring.

So in the end, I'm not real sure if it was just a poor BIOS or something in my hardware/software configuration. I'm back running my 1.4 on the old BIOS and it works fine.

But technically, the chip is supposed to work in the board.

Scout

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I got a XP1600 on the same A7V133 board, bios flash was easy and and no problems related to bios.

Weird
I had major freeze and other errors for weeks, stuff like floating point error, corrupted files on drives. I was about to send back the mobo again to get a new one, but while installing my other mobo in other box I pushed this box off the desk, it didn't hit the ground because there was no space between the desk and the wall, but it hit the wall good. No errors, freeze, or reboot since. :lol: Now only if I would have a cure for this damn flu...

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

TRENDING THREADS