Printing Differences: Windows XP Versus XP

Our Visual Basic app prints a custom form (a golf
scorecard), including use of character codes for
horizontal and vertical line characters, via the Printer
Object using the Lucida Console and Courier New fixed-
spacing fonts. Printing is to HP-compatible LaserJets.
The current printer for testing is the LaserJet 1200, but
HP Predecessors have also been used. The latest HP PCL 6
driver is being used.

Under Windows 98 and Me this form printed completely and
correctly. Under XP Home the printing is very
slightly "spread out" horizontally with the result that
the last two columns (character spaces) don't get
printed -- i.e. the right margin appears to have been
reached. Can anyone explain and provide a solution?
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about printing differences windows versus

    Have you contacted HP on their website about this problem?

    "Tom Buggy" wrote:

    > Our Visual Basic app prints a custom form (a golf
    > scorecard), including use of character codes for
    > horizontal and vertical line characters, via the Printer
    > Object using the Lucida Console and Courier New fixed-
    > spacing fonts. Printing is to HP-compatible LaserJets.
    > The current printer for testing is the LaserJet 1200, but
    > HP Predecessors have also been used. The latest HP PCL 6
    > driver is being used.
    >
    > Under Windows 98 and Me this form printed completely and
    > correctly. Under XP Home the printing is very
    > slightly "spread out" horizontally with the result that
    > the last two columns (character spaces) don't get
    > printed -- i.e. the right margin appears to have been
    > reached. Can anyone explain and provide a solution?
    > Thanks.

    Unfortunately, HP no longer accepts email support
    requests on the HP 1200 (another quickly discontinued
    product in HP's lightning-fast new product cycle) and we
    don't have the required product and serial number with
    which to get such support for a newer product such as the
    HP 1300. I intend to try by phone on Monday 10/25.

    However, there's also a Microsoft aspect to this problem,
    i.e. compatibility of Visual Basic's Printer Object with
    XP printer drivers for HP lasers. (Of course, Microsoft
    may say it no longer supports Visual Basic give Visual
    Basic.net.

    I have contacted HP Support on a paid basis. They had me
    try the LaserJet 4+ Driver; it produced the same bad
    result (as did the PCL 5e Driver). HP then claimed that
    Visual Basic (ostensibly its Printer Object)
    is "overwriting" the selected HP Driver and substituting
    a different XP-based driver. I'm not sure I believe this
    but it seems that the ball is now in Microsoft's court.

    Was the computer with the HP LaserJet 1200 "Upgraded" from 98 or ME to XP,
    or is this a new computer or "clean" install of XP?

    Is the printer directly connected to the HP Home computer or is this printer
    shared from another computer? If so, what OS is on the computer sharing the
    printer?

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "Tom Buggy" <SwareGolf@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Our Visual Basic app prints a custom form (a golf
    > scorecard), including use of character codes for
    > horizontal and vertical line characters, via the Printer
    > Object using the Lucida Console and Courier New fixed-
    > spacing fonts. Printing is to HP-compatible LaserJets.
    > The current printer for testing is the LaserJet 1200, but
    > HP Predecessors have also been used. The latest HP PCL 6
    > driver is being used.
    >
    > Under Windows 98 and Me this form printed completely and
    > correctly. Under XP Home the printing is very
    > slightly "spread out" horizontally with the result that
    > the last two columns (character spaces) don't get
    > printed -- i.e. the right margin appears to have been
    > reached. Can anyone explain and provide a solution?
    > Thanks.

    Bruce,

    The system was upgraded from Me to XP Home. SP2 is installed. The printer
    is directly connected to the system on which the application is being run.

    I've since resolved (or rather avoided) the problem by making slight
    adjustments with Printer.CurrentX in the application coding for part of the
    printed form. This has "recovered" the last two character spaces of the form
    without affecting the form's usability. However, I remain curious as to why
    the problem occurred. If you can address that it will be appreciated.

    "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

    > Was the computer with the HP LaserJet 1200 "Upgraded" from 98 or ME to XP,
    > or is this a new computer or "clean" install of XP?
    >
    > Is the printer directly connected to the HP Home computer or is this printer
    > shared from another computer? If so, what OS is on the computer sharing the
    > printer?
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "Tom Buggy" <SwareGolf@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Our Visual Basic app prints a custom form (a golf
    > > scorecard), including use of character codes for
    > > horizontal and vertical line characters, via the Printer
    > > Object using the Lucida Console and Courier New fixed-
    > > spacing fonts. Printing is to HP-compatible LaserJets.
    > > The current printer for testing is the LaserJet 1200, but
    > > HP Predecessors have also been used. The latest HP PCL 6
    > > driver is being used.
    > >
    > > Under Windows 98 and Me this form printed completely and
    > > correctly. Under XP Home the printing is very
    > > slightly "spread out" horizontally with the result that
    > > the last two columns (character spaces) don't get
    > > printed -- i.e. the right margin appears to have been
    > > reached. Can anyone explain and provide a solution?
    > > Thanks.

    Well, all kinds of nasty things can go wrong when you "upgrade" from 95, 98
    or ME if you don't delete all the printers and disconnect the printers
    physically during the upgrade.

    The upgrade process will not necessarily correctly replace the printer
    drivers.

    So, if you did do an "inplace upgrade" (as opposed to a clean install), you
    might want to clean up the printer configuration and re-install the
    printers - see http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "TomB" <TomB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Bruce,
    >
    > The system was upgraded from Me to XP Home. SP2 is installed. The
    > printer
    > is directly connected to the system on which the application is being run.
    >
    > I've since resolved (or rather avoided) the problem by making slight
    > adjustments with Printer.CurrentX in the application coding for part of
    > the
    > printed form. This has "recovered" the last two character spaces of the
    > form
    > without affecting the form's usability. However, I remain curious as to
    > why
    > the problem occurred. If you can address that it will be appreciated.
    >
    > "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> Was the computer with the HP LaserJet 1200 "Upgraded" from 98 or ME to
    >> XP,
    >> or is this a new computer or "clean" install of XP?
    >>
    >> Is the printer directly connected to the HP Home computer or is this
    >> printer
    >> shared from another computer? If so, what OS is on the computer sharing
    >> the
    >> printer?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >>
    >> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >>

    >> "Tom Buggy" <SwareGolf@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> > Our Visual Basic app prints a custom form (a golf
    >> > scorecard), including use of character codes for
    >> > horizontal and vertical line characters, via the Printer
    >> > Object using the Lucida Console and Courier New fixed-
    >> > spacing fonts. Printing is to HP-compatible LaserJets.
    >> > The current printer for testing is the LaserJet 1200, but
    >> > HP Predecessors have also been used. The latest HP PCL 6
    >> > driver is being used.
    >> >
    >> > Under Windows 98 and Me this form printed completely and
    >> > correctly. Under XP Home the printing is very
    >> > slightly "spread out" horizontally with the result that
    >> > the last two columns (character spaces) don't get
    >> > printed -- i.e. the right margin appears to have been
    >> > reached. Can anyone explain and provide a solution?
    >> > Thanks.

    Bruce,
    Thanks, but I think I'll "leave this sleeping dog lie" since I've resolved
    the situation in another way that is independent of the upgrade process.
    Besides, I've gotten additional information that suggests driver differences
    between the Me and XP bases could contribute to the original problem.

Hewlett Packard Windows XP