Swiftech MCX462 Doesn't Fit Soltek SL-75DRV2!?

kelston

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
After finishing reading Tom's Hardware's review on the KT266A mobos, I checked up the stats on the Soltek SL-75DRV2. Imagine my surprise when on Soltek's site, the FAQ for the 75DRV2 says the board WON'T FIT THE SWIFTECH MCX462!

Does anyone have the Soltek SL-75DRV2 (or 4 or 5 or 6) and can verify whether or not the Swiftech heatsink will fit on the board?

If it does not, what motherboards will fit the Swiftech? Soyo Dragon Plus? Abit KR7A?

G

I can tell you that the Swifties definitely will fit practically ALL Asus boards, including the EPOX 8KHA+

As with other mobos such as Soltek, and Dragon plus, I really don't know for sure, even though the Swiftech website claims that their latest MCX462 HSF is compatible with all socket A mobos.

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I do not own the board nor have I personally seen the board in person. However the only problem you might have are the dimensions of the base of the heatsink with the capacitors and the fan on the Northbridge.

Here are the <A HREF="http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/23794.pdf" target="_new">specs</A> for the socket 462. (AKA Socket A)

The specs are on page 12 of the AMD Thermal, Mechanical, and Chassis Cooling Design Guide - Doc# 23794 - November 2001, Figure 5.

In simple terms, if you had used a square, and the corners were where the center of the holes, the box would be 66.09mm x 29.03mm or 2.602in x 1.144in.

The <A HREF="http://www.swiftnets.com/MCX462.htm" target="_new">specs</A> for Swiftec MCX426 are as follows...

1. CNC machined, C110 copper base, 3"W x 3"L x .375"H, flatness better than 0.001", micro surface finish 8 or better.

2. 371 Pins made of High Thermal Conductivity aluminum alloy (6063)

3. Overall dimensions with fan 3"x3"x3.2", without fan 3"x3"x1.56"

4. Weight: 26 oz (730g) with fan, 20 oz (560g) without fan.

So if the holes fit the screws on the HSF you are probably golden. Solteck claims that they do and I believe it. (It was built to spec for Socket A boards.) However, like I stated before, if the base of the HSF combo is too large it will interfere with the capacitors and the fan on the Northbridge. I can only speculate that there <font color=red><b>is</b></font color=red> enough space to accommodate the HSF combination.

Note: Again because I do not have the board in front of me I cannot confirm nor deny it.

I suggest that you e-mail any one of the writers and see what heatsink and fan they used.

Frank Völkel - frank.voelkel@tomshardware.com
Bert Töpelt - (None given)
Patrick Schmid - patrick@tomshardware.com

I will do the same and get some research done on the dimension of the base of that HSF combo to see if the Swiftec will fit.

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol:

Jima13

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I just noticed this thread so I logged in to comment...I have several Soltek mobos, the SL-75KAV and the SL-75DRV [not the 2]...the MC462 [not MCX] would not fit the KAV because of the 'caps' on the bottom edge. When I received the DRV I noticed there was more clearance so I ordered another MC462..

Swifty arrived and when I went to attempt a fit I found a 'cap' at the top left was in the way....fortunatly [sort of] this HS had been damaged on the exact corner that needed modding <insert dremel> so, using the barrel shaped sanding wheel I made that top left corner concave enough to clear the 'cap'......a link to some pics> http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jim_11_13/lst?&.dir=/Work&.src=ph&.view=t&.last=1

actually, I can't see why the MCX would not fit since the corners are already fixed?

my first post here so don't be to harsh :)