CPU too hot

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
I have an athlon xp 1800+, and my idle cpu temp is around 48-50c. I'm using a thermaltake volcano 7, and some arctic silver 2. Mobo is abit kr7a-raid. Case is Antec ks282 w/ 300w ps. I have two case fans, one blowing out from the rear, and one blowing in from the bottom front.

Why is my cpu temp so high? Every time someone mentions the volcano 7 they say they are getting like 35 degree temps at idle. I could understand if mine was a little higher or lower, but 50 is a big diff. Under a heavy load, the temp goes up to about 54.

What could I be doing wrong??

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Well, I don´t know what you might have done "wrong", but are
you sure you have seated the Volcano properly?

I assume you have checked <A HREF="http://www.ArticSilver.Com" target="_new">http://www.ArticSilver.Com</A>?

LazerMan, PlasmaMan, AtomMan, ChernobylMan, EvilMan, ProtonMan, 80´sMan, MadMan, AssMan, ManMan

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
Yes I followed the instructions exactly. I've been running toast for about 45 min at high priority, and it stays around 59. Hasn't locked up yet.

Jake75

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Hmmm, what voltage setting do you have?
I´m not sure about this but I´ll think that the voltage levels of a XP1800 should be 1.75...

If you have a higher voltage value than 1.75 it might cause your processor to emit more heat.

LazerMan, PlasmaMan, AtomMan, ChernobylMan, EvilMan, ProtonMan, 80´sMan, MadMan, AssMan, ManMan

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
cpu core is set at 1.75v, I'm not trying to overclock or anything. I took it all apart and cleaned everytrhing off, reapplied asII, and moved some wires around to get better air flow, but still starts out at around 30 something, then slowly works it's way up to 50 after about 45 minutes and stays around that temp.

I have a computer desk that my case sits in that has a closing front door. I thought this might be the problem, but I took out out of there with the same results. I opened up the case though, and the temp worked its way down to 43.

How is the heat sink supposed to feel? When I touch it, it's warm to the touch, but not hot. The heat sink on my celeron 333 is much hotter, but there is also no fan blowing on it. I don't really mind the temp being high, since it hasn't crashed yet, but the fan is very quiet when I first start up, then when the temp rises, it gets pretty noisy.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
What is your room temp? Does mother board monitor show the temp for you mb?

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
if it isnt crashing, let it run for 24 hours..
that allows the as2 to settle...and really transfer the heat.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Your case temp should be no more than 10º or less higher than room temp so you are right on.
But on the other hand you said your cpu temps drop when you take the side off the case
so you need more air movement through your case across the hsf. It would be better to
replace the fan on the rear with a higher cfm to exhaust more air or put a card cooler
fan in to stir up the case air and make it more uniform in temp.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

uraniborg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Hey Zack,

those temps definately sound too high... i use a volcano 2 on my tbird 1200 and get it idling at 39C. here are a few suggestions:

1) heat sink surface needs to be lapped (polished)
2) heat sink fan is insufficent
3) applying too much ASII, you only need a very thin layer
4) insufficent air flow in the case

hope you figure it out...

<b>uraniborg
<font color=purple>"Brilliant thinkers have often met violent opposition from mediocre minds."

zack

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2001
Well the noise doesn't really bother me anymore, I got used to it now. I don't even notice it anymore. I am gonna try to mess with the case fans to get some better airflow. The ones I use now have temp sensors to control the speed. I might add another one to blow up toward the cpu. I was thinking about trying water cooling but I don't want to spend more than $50.

TRENDING THREADS