Your opinion please, Volcano VII

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
In my never-ending quest for a cheep and quiet HSF I have come across the following: <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/" target="_new">http://www.thermaltake.com/</A>. It looks pretty good to me, and is certainly cheep (roughly $20 US sold locally). I was wondering is anyone has anything to say, good or bad, about the Thermaltake Volcano 7.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
I cut off the sensor so it run at full speed all the time. It's loud at full speed, like a jet engine. Hooked it up to run on 7 volts for now, it's silent and the cpu temp gone up only 2-3C. I also set the case fans to 7 volts and will do the same with the PSU. My box got so quiet I can't believe it.

If you don't want to chop it up then it most likely will run pretty silent for you, I never got it running at full speed when sensor was on it. But some people say theirs run at full speed all the time, dunno.

Got this cooler because it's easy to replace the fan, can get 80mm fans all over town but nobody sell the 60mm here. Cost too much always buying the whole thing when only the fan gone.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Thanks, I never even noticed that it was using an 80 mm fan. How hard would it be to replace the fan while keeping the temp sensor active? Do you HAVE to cut the temp sensor to replace the fan or was that just a personal preference?

Man, this HSF just keeps looking sweeter and sweeter. It uses an 80 mm fan, it has a temp sensor built in and it has a copper core. I suppose that I should check and see if it will fit on my mobo before I run out and buy it.

Oh, one last question. Is there any way that you can get an external reading from the temp sensor? I'm not in the habit of trusting the mobo temp sensor as of yet, and nobody has yet figured out how to get a reading from the built-in one on the Athlon XP.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I like ASUS but the only way I could get a halfway accurate cpu temp
was to buy a Comp-u-nurse thermometer and place the temp probe next to
the cpu core. Like everyone has said, the ASUS A7V266-E reads 9 to 10ºc
too high.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
How hard would it be to replace the fan while keeping the temp sensor active?
I'll let you know when it's time, but I think it should be simple as installing the sensor into the + line of the new fan. If nothing else then they sell 80mm case fans with the sensor.

Do you HAVE to cut the temp sensor to replace the fan or was that just a personal preference?
I didn't replace the fan, cut the sensor out to make it run full speed, but now I know my setup run cool and it was working right. Asus probe sux, cheat too much.

I suppose that I should check and see if it will fit on my mobo before I run out and buy it.
You should, it's quiet large. My board is the Asus A7V133, look it up and compare it to yours to see if it would fit. Or if there is one like yours in the store ask to check.

Is there any way that you can get an external reading from the temp sensor?
I have no idea.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)