What is "Microsoft Document Image Writer"

I just installed Office 2003 and all of a sudden "Microsoft Document Image
Writer" is listed as my default printer. I've never heard of it and don't
know what it is. When trying to print with it the "save as" dialog box
comes up. I have changed my actual printer back to the default but I'd like
to know what this "Microsoft Document Image Writer" is. Help please.
--
Thanks in advance... Bob

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just installed Office 2003 and all of a sudden "Microsoft Document Image
> Writer" is listed as my default printer. I've never heard of it and don't
> know what it is. When trying to print with it the "save as" dialog box
> comes up. I have changed my actual printer back to the default but I'd
> like
> to know what this "Microsoft Document Image Writer" is. Help please.
> --
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Basically anything you "print" to it is converted into a high quality image
file.

From http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010771031033.aspx :

The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer print driver is included with
Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and allows you to save any Office
document (any file that can be printed from the program it was created in on
your computer) in the Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) (Tagged Image File
Format (TIFF): A high-resolution, tag-based graphics format. TIFF is used
for the universal interchange of digital graphics.) or Microsoft Office
Document Imaging Format (MDI) (Microsoft Office Document Imaging Format
(MDI): A high resolution, tag-based graphics format, based on the Tagged
Image File Format (TIFF) used for digital graphics.). You can then open the
TIFF or MDI file in Office Document Imaging to make changes, add
annotations, perform OCR, or send to someone using your e-mail program.

--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

Colin Nash [MVP] wrote:
> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
>> I just installed Office 2003 and all of a sudden "Microsoft Document
>> Image Writer" is listed as my default printer. I've never heard of
>> it and don't know what it is. When trying to print with it the
>> "save as" dialog box comes up. I have changed my actual printer
>> back to the default but I'd like
>> to know what this "Microsoft Document Image Writer" is. Help please.
>> --
>> Thanks in advance... Bob
>>

> Basically anything you "print" to it is converted into a high quality
> image file.
>
> From http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010771031033.aspx
> :
>
> The Microsoft Office Document Image Writer print driver is included
> with Microsoft Office Document Imaging, and allows you to save any
> Office document (any file that can be printed from the program it was
> created in on your computer) in the Tagged Image File Format (TIFF)
> (Tagged Image File Format (TIFF): A high-resolution, tag-based
> graphics format. TIFF is used for the universal interchange of
> digital graphics.) or Microsoft Office Document Imaging Format (MDI)
> (Microsoft Office Document Imaging Format (MDI): A high resolution,
> tag-based graphics format, based on the Tagged Image File Format
> (TIFF) used for digital graphics.). You can then open the TIFF or MDI
> file in Office Document Imaging to make changes, add annotations,
> perform OCR, or send to someone using your e-mail program.

Or, IOW, it's MS pathetic excuse at integrating Acrobat-like functionality
into Office because Adobe wouldn't grant them a licence to use PDF
technology.
lose his marbles?

TRENDING THREADS