Overclocking Geforce2 Pro for more power

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hey everyone. I'm pretty new at this forum, so i'm giving it my best shot. I'm refurbishing my current computer until I upgrade this summer (part-time job). Currently the system consists of the following.

FIC AD-11 with Via chipset
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.0 Ghz 266Mhz FSB
2 sticks of 128MB PC-2100 DDR SDRAM
Nvidia Geforce 2 Pro 64MB retail version (AGP 4x interface)
SB Live! Value
32x/8x/4x CD-RW LG
7200 GB Maxtor 20GB

I'm planning on pretty much retiring the system this summer as my "main gaming" computer. But, I still know it has great potential as a networked computer so i'm going to experiment with it. First of all, the graphics card is from good 'ol Nvidia. Its the Geforce2 Pro with 64MB, not sure about the Mhz of the memory or the core speed, but I think the memory is 4ns DDR. Since i'm fixing up the system, I'm looking to overclocking the graphics card and processor. I guess i'm curious as to how and overlock a graphics card. Nothing special, but I wouldn't mind squeezing a bit of performance out of the good old card. If I can overclock it safely, how do I do so and what do I need? My next card i'm getting this summer is a Visiontek Geforce3 Ti200 for about $220.00 with warranty. I don't know if i'm going to attempt overclocking that one, but i'm open for suggestions. Other than that, i'm looking forward to a shiny new Athlon XP 2000+ to go with the mighty geforce3 :) Thanks for reading guys, i'm looking forward to a reply.

"Heh, I laugh when I see someone buying a Celeron 1300 over an Athlon Thunderbird 1000."

Mnx4

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Well for one, you're best off with a software overclocker for your graphics card. I use NVmax which is a pretty good program with a lot of options, but i dont have the latest version since i have a tnt2 ultra (uggh). It's (i think) compatible w/ the geforce 2. www.Voodoofiles.com has a pretty good selection of software overclocking programs. Also, you may want to invest in a better fan then the stock one that come with the geforce. As for what to get, i can't help you there, cuz i don't know too much about what's the best heatsink and fan to get. Good Luck.

Putting the laughter back in to Slaughter.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mnx4 on 01/29/02 10:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Take a look at this article about videocard overclocking:
<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/articles/video/oc/" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/articles/video/oc/</A>.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .