Overclocking the Thunderbird and XP

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Hey everyone, i've got a question for the hardware experts. Okay, to start out, I posted an earlier post with my computer system. Currently, i've got an AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz 266Mhz FSB. I'm still very satisfied with it for gaming, but i'm buying a major upgrade this summer and i've gone through a lot of opinionated thoughts. First of all, my Thunderbird is not gonna be dumped, i'm sticking it in my older computer to replace an AMD K6-2 400Mhz. I also want to overclock it as much as safely possible with my generic fan (*sob*). I'm not going to invest too much into upgrading the older Athlon system, but overclocking seems like a good start.

Next, I have a real big contraversial issue. I notice that AMD's processors are generally very linear in performance. That is to say they gradually get more performance for the megahertz increase. So i'm begging this question, if i'm going for the balance of price and speed, i'm debating which middle line Athlon XP processor I should be gunning for. I had a long debate with some of my friends that an overclocked 1500+ may be more worthwhile than a 1600+ or even 1700+. Once again though, I'm not going to venture into the area of water cooling, just the good stock fan and heatsink combo. Next, I thought a 1700+ overclocked to perhaps the level of an 1800+ or 1900 + would be good. I'm seriously torn. I like all of AMDs processors, but i'm not sure how much I need. I'm a big gamer and the newest gaming are somewhat demanding (with the exception of FPS games at 1024/768 at 16Bit). So I guess this comes to 2 final questions-
1-What should I do with my "old" Athlon Thunderbird 1.0Ghz
2-What Athlon XP is the most desirable

note, I am willing to overclock both processors as far as they can be handled with a stock cooler.

Thanks a lot guys =O

"Heh, I laugh when I see someone buying a Celeron 1300 over an Athlon Thunderbird 1000."

scwarner

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2002
First of all, my Thunderbird is not gonna be dumped, i'm sticking it in my older computer to replace an AMD K6-2 400Mhz.
I may be reading this wrong but.... It can't be done. They are NOT socket compatable.

"Intel people buy their computers to learn. AMD people build theirs because they already have."

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I made a big typo there :( I meant to say that i'm ditching the K6-2 400 Mhz and replacing it with my Thunderbird along with the motherboard it uses (currently an FIC AD-11). I want to overclock the Thunderbird once its in its new home. Meanwhile, i'm going to either buy an Epox, Asus, or Soyo Motherboard for my new Athlon XP, with whatever model number I end up getting. Sorry for not being clear =/

"Heh, I laugh when I see someone buying a Celeron 1300 over an Athlon Thunderbird 1000."

G

Err, this is not the right place to ask, but: Are you from finland?

-Joonas-

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i have a 1.2 266 one fic ad-11 at 150 fsb and 1350 mhz with a retial coller and it is fine the only problem i rwan into is taht it woon't bot of anything higher then stock fsb. ut once i got into windows and overclock it it goes fine

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i have a 1.2 266 one fic ad-11 at 150 fsb and 1350 mhz with a retial coller and it is fine the only problem i rwan into is taht it woon't bot of anything higher then stock fsb. ut once i got into windows and overclock it it goes fine. the oveclocking utiled that came with the motherboard its nice due to the fact that it doesn't set teh changes in the bios so when you restart you back down to spec.

the problem is hat my chip is not unlocked and i'm to lazy to go and do that

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile: