fcpga vrs ppga

G

Got a customer that has a 450 celeron emachine and he wants to upgrade his cpu to a 900 celeron. Having not yet seen the machine, from what I can read, I believe the 450 is PPGA and the 900 only comes FCPGA. I don't believe I can upgrade him and still use his existing mobo--can I?

Is there possibly an adapter you can recommend that will allow me to install a 900 celeron? Thanks in advance.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yup, 450(???) is a PPGA. BTW are you sure its 450? PPGA (and earlier Celerons till 766 MHz) had 66 MHz FSB, that with any standard multiplier doesnt work out to 450, it must be 466.

check out the board, most boards available with a 466 MHz Celeron wont support FCPGA processors, they dont have the correct VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) to provide lower voltages.

An adapter for that (the <A HREF="http://www.friendtech.com" target="_new">Powerleap</A> neo-S370) but I guess upgrading the board would be better and cheaper option.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Mordy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
celeron 450???
You have to see the mashine to be shure.
That celeron can be slot1, or ppga inserted into slocket adapter. If it so you can upgrade, you only need slocket that supports fc-pga.
This is an e-mashine,so probably it have ppga socket - you can resolder it to make it fc-pga (done that), or you can use Powerleap NEO-370 adapter.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mordy on 01/31/02 01:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

board is also PPGA-only? Tom has an article on using FCPGA on PPGA mobo/risers! i did it on my ABiT ZM6 (without a riser). i found the same mod guide using the same board in google. Celeron 766 on Abit ZM6. worked like charm, but i changed the mobo after a 2 months as dint wanna stick with an old BX board forever!

peace outz!!!