print manager question

I work for a small academic library. We have 28 student workstations running
Windows 2000 and 5 staff workstations running XP. All the student
workstations are set up to print on one of two HP LaserJet printers, and the
staff workstations may print to either one of those or to an office printer.

The situation is that we are in the process of adding vending software to
the student computers but that won't be available until at least next
semester. We want to set up some kind of interim control over the printers so
that we may pause/unpause document printing for jobs going to the two student
printers.

As I understand it, we need to set up permissions for each of the staff
computers to allow us to control the print manager for the other
workstations. However, when I try to follow the instructions for doing this,
there is no "Security" tab in the Properties box for the printers.

Is this an issue for our IT guy, or is there another way to go about this?
3 answers Last reply
More about print manager question

    If the printers are set up as "Local Printers" on all of the workstations,
    there's not much you can do because there is no central point to manage.

    If the printers are set up as "Network Printers", then you can manage the
    print queue ("printer") on whatever computer "hosts" the printer.

    When you say Windows XP, do you mean XP Home or XP Professional? XP Home
    has very simplistic security and administration which may be why you don't
    see the Security tab.

    A bit more information about the printer/computer configuration would be
    useful. If the printers are "Network Printers", what OS is running on the
    computer that has the printer(s) installed as "Local Printers" and is
    sharing them for the workstations to use?

    Are any of the workstations "Members" of a Windows Domain (XP Home can not
    be a domain member, but can use Domain resources - e.g. printers).

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "mpiper" <mpiper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I work for a small academic library. We have 28 student workstations
    >running
    > Windows 2000 and 5 staff workstations running XP. All the student
    > workstations are set up to print on one of two HP LaserJet printers, and
    > the
    > staff workstations may print to either one of those or to an office
    > printer.
    >
    > The situation is that we are in the process of adding vending software to
    > the student computers but that won't be available until at least next
    > semester. We want to set up some kind of interim control over the printers
    > so
    > that we may pause/unpause document printing for jobs going to the two
    > student
    > printers.
    >
    > As I understand it, we need to set up permissions for each of the staff
    > computers to allow us to control the print manager for the other
    > workstations. However, when I try to follow the instructions for doing
    > this,
    > there is no "Security" tab in the Properties box for the printers.
    >
    > Is this an issue for our IT guy, or is there another way to go about this?

    Unfortunately, they ARE set up as local printers. I would guess then that we
    would need to set up a network then in order to do this?

    A further question is that the only accounts in the library that have the
    necessary permissions to create a network belong to myself and two other
    librarians. The workstation we would need to use to control the print manager
    is used by all staff and so has an account with very few privileges that is
    used on it. Would we be able to set up a network using a different account
    (i.e., mine) and then grant the needed permissions to the other account in
    order to allow it to control the print manager?

    (does any of that make any sense??)

    The staff machines are all running XP Professional.

    Thanks
    Michael

    "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

    > If the printers are set up as "Local Printers" on all of the workstations,
    > there's not much you can do because there is no central point to manage.
    >
    > If the printers are set up as "Network Printers", then you can manage the
    > print queue ("printer") on whatever computer "hosts" the printer.
    >
    > When you say Windows XP, do you mean XP Home or XP Professional? XP Home
    > has very simplistic security and administration which may be why you don't
    > see the Security tab.
    >
    > A bit more information about the printer/computer configuration would be
    > useful. If the printers are "Network Printers", what OS is running on the
    > computer that has the printer(s) installed as "Local Printers" and is
    > sharing them for the workstations to use?
    >
    > Are any of the workstations "Members" of a Windows Domain (XP Home can not
    > be a domain member, but can use Domain resources - e.g. printers).
    >

    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "mpiper" <mpiper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I work for a small academic library. We have 28 student workstations
    > >running
    > > Windows 2000 and 5 staff workstations running XP. All the student
    > > workstations are set up to print on one of two HP LaserJet printers, and
    > > the
    > > staff workstations may print to either one of those or to an office
    > > printer.
    > >
    > > The situation is that we are in the process of adding vending software to
    > > the student computers but that won't be available until at least next
    > > semester. We want to set up some kind of interim control over the printers
    > > so
    > > that we may pause/unpause document printing for jobs going to the two
    > > student
    > > printers.
    > >
    > > As I understand it, we need to set up permissions for each of the staff
    > > computers to allow us to control the print manager for the other
    > > workstations. However, when I try to follow the instructions for doing
    > > this,
    > > there is no "Security" tab in the Properties box for the printers.
    > >
    > > Is this an issue for our IT guy, or is there another way to go about this?

    Perhaps we have a terminological confusion that is interfering with
    communication and understanding. See
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/Glossary.htm for some definition of terms
    that might help with communication, particularly "Printer" and "Printer
    Port".

    You mention something called "print manager". Neither Windows 2000 nor
    Windows XP have a tool called that, so what do you mean by "print manager"?

    Each computer manages/controls the printers that are Local to it, for
    example, via the Printers and Faxes folder (on XP, Start, Printers and
    Faxes).

    You also talk about "creating a network". Well, if you have two printers
    and some 30 odd computers can print to them, you already have a network.

    On the workstations open the Printers (Windows 2000) or the Printers and
    Faxes folder (Windows XP) - (NOT the properties of a printer, but the folder
    that has all the printers listed in it):

    1. in the Printers (and Faxes) folder, is the printer name something like
    "PrinterName on ServerName" - if so, the printer is almost certainly a
    "Network Printer" not a "Local Printer"
    2. with the Printers (and Faxes) folder open, click File, Server Properties
    and select the Ports tab
    is there a entry that actually has one of the printers associated with
    it?
    a. If no, then most likely the printer is a Network Printer
    b. If yes, what does it say under "Description" for the port that has the
    printer associated with it?

    Now, to be able to centrally manage the printers, they must be Local
    Printers on exactly one computer and Network Printers on all the others.
    However, if all of your computers are Windows 2000 Professional or Windows
    XP, you have a problem because neither of these systems will allow more than
    10 concurrent connections. With over 30 computers wanting to connect to a
    "shared" (network) printer, that won't work. You would need to have Windows
    2000 or Windows 2003 server on a computer to be able to support over 30
    client computers.

    In Windows 2000 and XP, permissions, rights and privileges are assigned to
    "users" not to "computers".

    On the Windows XP Professional computers:
    1. open Windows Explorer
    2. click Tools, Folder Options
    3. select the View tab
    4. scroll to the bottom of the list in Advanced Settings
    5. click "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" to remove the check mark
    6. click OK

    Now there should be a Security tab in a printer's Properties. However, the
    Security settings only affect the computer on which the printer is "Local".
    If the printers really are defined as "Local Printers" (e.g. on Standard
    TCP/IP ports on every workstation), there is no way to centrally manage
    them, network or not.

    Are these computers members of a Windows Domain? To find the answer to this
    question:
    1. right click on My Computer and select Properties
    2. select the Computer Name tab
    3. click Change
    4. if the Domain radio button is selected, the computer is a member of a
    domain; if the Workgroup radio button is selected, the computer is NOT a
    member of a domain

    Perhaps you should consult your "IT guy" to understand a bit more about your
    infrastructure there.

    --

> [...]
    >> > printer.
    >> >
    >> > The situation is that we are in the process of adding vending software
    >> > the student computers but that won't be available until at least next
    >> > semester. We want to set up some kind of interim control over the
    >> > printers
    >> > so
    >> > that we may pause/unpause document printing for jobs going to the two
    >> > student
    >> > printers.
    >> >
    >> > As I understand it, we need to set up permissions for each of the staff
    >> > computers to allow us to control the print manager for the other
    >> > workstations. However, when I try to follow the instructions for doing
    >> > this,
    >> > there is no "Security" tab in the Properties box for the printers.
    >> >
    >> > Is this an issue for our IT guy, or is there another way to go about

Workstations Printers Windows XP