What's wrong with my PC?

Hermox

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
It's going to be a gaming PC (It is, just sucks.)

Not looking to run any HIGH ass end game.

Mostly the ones I own or hell... yeah whatever just anything under $200.

Processor: Inter(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3520MBAM (It's really 4)
DirectX 9.0c

Here, as I've read is where it gets sucky, just wanted to know if anything else could be boosted or needed to.

NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB

1366x768 (32 bit) 60Hz monitor

Don't know if I've missed anything got to go so I'll copy the Xfire scan too.

Manufacturer:
To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E3200 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
3520MB RAM
Hard Drive:
320 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
HD Audio rear output 2
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp.061012-0254)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

Thank you guys and gals in advanced.

MrDrift

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I reckon you will probably need to build the whole system again.

But... not sure what games you are aiming to play. So I cant really offer any really helpful advice.

DM186

Splendid
Just so you know you graphicsr (GPU) is still being sold by nVidia so it isn't that old or out to pasture. But it would not hurt to upgrade your GPU for the games you want to play.

First off you need to get service pack 3 for XP. Go to microsoft to get it. What we need to know is your tower a mini or a normal tower? If it is or about L = 17" H = 16" W = 7" then it is a normal tower.

If it is smaller than that it is a mini and you will need to low profile card. Also you have to make sure you have a PCIe x 16 slot on the mother board (MOBO) or do you have a AGP slot?

One last thing what is the wattage of your power supply (PSU). Before we can suggest to you what GPU to get we need the info listed above including what games you want to play. Good luck.)

The most I got out of that was "sucks, ass, hell, sucky, celeron". Maybe keep the negative works out of here.

As said above, you probably just need a whole new system. If you came across a a cheap video card that would be considered an upgrade to your 8400GS, you might want to go for that. Something like an 8800GT/9800GT type card or a 4850/4870 ATI card. You'd have watch your power supply though. You could probably scoop a card like that up off ebay or craigslist pretty cheap. It would allow you to play some older games that you can pick up off Steam. But for any modern games you probably need a whole new system.

Hermox

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Thanks guys, jay I'm pretty sure you can tell anything else apart and I said nothing offensive.

Also my wattage is as it says 575 max.

I'm looking to play Cod 4 (I can actually run this suprisingly well in low-med on 1366x768 res)
Oper Flashpoint Dragoon Rising (I think this might be the one to aim on since it's the worst one that runs)
Borderlands and pretty much games like this, I just buy oldish steam games, not really looking to work at BF3 and such.

Should I start with the 8400GS?

- Is that 575 watts max on the 12V rail. That is the # you really want. A brand and model would help as well.

- I am not surprised that you can run COD4 somewhat decent. It's and older game and always ran decent on many graphics cards. I would suggest swapping out the 8400 GS for something a little more powerful. That is really the only good upgrade I can see on this system unless you got the motherboard specs and could get a cheap core 2 quad or something like that. For $100 you could drop in an AMD 7750 and would probably run any older game you could throw at it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

- I like the good deals on Steam. You can get a stack of $5 games that still look good and are fantastic games. Bioshock has 1 & 2 for $5 each I believe.

Hermox

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I know and yes steam is pretty nifty and so persuasive when it comes to those sales.
Can that card run Operation Flashpoint by the way?

CODEGEN 200XA 575w Brand and model

Not sure what the requirements are for that game. What year did it come out? Could you post the required and recommended specs?

Is this your PSU? http://www.pcdirectsource.com/Item.cfm?ID=2704
It is a pretty generic brand and probably not that reliable. I wouldn't put to much trust in it, but would probably be fine running a 7750. The 7750 does not require any additional power connectors from your PSU. It pulls all it's power from the PCI-E bus.

Hermox

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Yes that's my PSU.

And Thanks to you to wr, I'm not looking for high specs, just that with my current build I can't even run it well.

Borderlands I can run on everything low just fine, looking to up it a little bit.

Flashpoint:
Minimum system requirements:
• Operating system: Windows XP SP2 or later
• CPU: Dual Core CPU 2 x 2.4 GHz
• GPU: DirectX 9.0c GPU: Shader 3.0 (GeForce 7900 GT / 256 MB VRAM or higher)
• RAM: 1 GB Memory
• Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
• Hard disk: 8 GB
• DVD-ROM DVD drive
Recommended system requirements:
• Operating system: Windows XP SP2 or later
• CPU: Quad Core CPU
• GPU: Shader 3.0 (GeForce 8800 GT / 512 MB VRAM or higher), DirectX 9.0c
• RAM: 2 GB Memory
• Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
• Hard disk: 8 GB
• DVD-ROM drive

Borderlands:
Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Memory: 1 Gb
Hard Drive: 8 Gb free
Video Memory: 256 Mb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800 / ATI Radeon HD 2800
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Network: Broadband Internet Connection for Online Multiplayer
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard
Mouse
DVD Rom Drive
Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
Memory: 2 Gb
Hard Drive: 8 Gb free
Video Memory: 768 Mb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 260 / ATI Radeon HD 3600
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Network: Broadband Internet Connection for Online Multiplayer
DirectX: 9.0c
Keyboard
Mouse
DVD Rom Drive

first off that OP system is junk(normally im not this harsh). utterly useless for playing modern games. the celleron is slow even by intel dual core standards. and needs to be swaped out for a 2.4ghz quad. then theres the gfx. its still usable as 1 day it was the best gfx card in the world and cost near £250-300 new. but now its very old. it will only play dx9 games so games like bf3 are out. i recommend a minimum of a gts 450 or 6770.
or if you want medium then i recommended a gtx 560ti or 7850 and if you can push the boat out a gtx 670 or 7970 all of which would need faster ddr2 800/1066 ram and a 550w decent brand psu to run it... (the gtx660 will be releases sometime between august and october so it may be worth your while to wait for the gfx)
basically your looking at a whole new build so insted of getting a 775 core 2 quad which although is passable, it is obsolite in real terms and way over priced for what you will get. your best off jumping platform to z77, 1155 socket you could spend the same as a c2q and 4gigs of ddr2 would cost on say an i5 2400 4gigs ddr3 and get a motherboard to run it on...
all in your looking at about 500 for entry level 700 for medium and 1000+ for high end.

Hermox

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Mate, I'm not looking to run BF3, I said what type of games I want to run.
I know it's junk, said so myself but right now I'm not in the best condition money wise so going to spend like 100-160 or so since I'm going to have a lot of free time, later on I'll buy a brand spanking new one.

Others can chime in, but I think upgrading your video card to a 7750 will get you where you want to be. $100 is about all I would put into this system. Anything more will probably required a power supply upgrade and your CPU will most likely hold you back. Steam has A LOT of old titles out there from several years ago for under $5. If you never played Max Payne 1 or 2, they are worth playing. Just look around.

At some point you will obviously need to replace this system. I think I mentioned you could look at your motherboard and check what other CPU's it supports. You could possibly find a newer Core2Duo or Core2Quad to drop in, but it might be hard to find one of those on the cheap. You could take a gamble on eBay for one of those. I'm sure there are a few out there. Just to fulfill my curiosity, is this a branded PC or build by yourself or someone else? I'd be interested to see what motherboard is in there. If you don't mind cracking it open.

Cool, the CPU support list looks like you can drop in almost any LGA775 chip you want in there. You may want to keep an eye out for a cheap chip. You might find one for $50 somewhere. Just a thought to breath a little more life into things.