Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Printing problems to Network Share Printer after SP2 upgrade

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
October 29, 2004 3:06:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi,

I have recently installed Windows XP
SP2 on 2 of our PC's. Since doing that,
they are experiencing problems printing
to an HP Color Laserjet 4500n printer
which is shared on a PC running Windows
98 (really).

They use Excel 2003 and when they
try to send a print job to the 4500 printer,
it takes about a minute to switch printers.

They can print one job, but when trying
to send the 2nd job, Excel stops responding.

We have found out by trial and error that
if you go to Services and stop, then re-start
the Print Spooler everything works "fast"
for one print job.

I finally gave up and un-installed SP2 from
one of the PC's because she really has to be
able to print to the 4500 printer, and everything
is working great. No problems printing to 4500.

One thing, just for info, we have some HP
LJ 2200 shared printers (on Windows 98 PC's)
and these 2 updated PC's have no problems
when printing to those.

We also have some new PC's with Windows
XP Pro that came with SP1. Before updating
them to SP2 I was able to print to the 4500
with no problems.

I know that SP2 is new and that you guys
are working on the bugs, but does anyone
have any info on this problem? I have seen
posts on the web for the same issue, but no
answers.

Any help would be appreciated because
we'd really like to be able to take advantage
of the great features in SP2.

Thanks,

Sandy M
Anonymous
a b α HP
November 22, 2004 9:23:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Sandy:

We have experienced the exact same problem on our peer-to-peer networks but
with our large Minolta document center which has an on-board printer server.
Other printers which are slaved off of other machines and shared still work
but the Minolta requires opening the printer properties and printing a test
page then it will printer most of the time. Otherwise, the print jobs just go
into space. No machines other than those upgraded to XP SP2 fail. Failure
comes immediately after upgrade. Have you heard of, or found, a solution yet?

Robert

"Sandy M" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed Windows XP
> SP2 on 2 of our PC's. Since doing that,
> they are experiencing problems printing
> to an HP Color Laserjet 4500n printer
> which is shared on a PC running Windows
> 98 (really).
>
> They use Excel 2003 and when they
> try to send a print job to the 4500 printer,
> it takes about a minute to switch printers.
>
> They can print one job, but when trying
> to send the 2nd job, Excel stops responding.
>
> We have found out by trial and error that
> if you go to Services and stop, then re-start
> the Print Spooler everything works "fast"
> for one print job.
>
> I finally gave up and un-installed SP2 from
> one of the PC's because she really has to be
> able to print to the 4500 printer, and everything
> is working great. No problems printing to 4500.
>
> One thing, just for info, we have some HP
> LJ 2200 shared printers (on Windows 98 PC's)
> and these 2 updated PC's have no problems
> when printing to those.
>
> We also have some new PC's with Windows
> XP Pro that came with SP1. Before updating
> them to SP2 I was able to print to the 4500
> with no problems.
>
> I know that SP2 is new and that you guys
> are working on the bugs, but does anyone
> have any info on this problem? I have seen
> posts on the web for the same issue, but no
> answers.
>
> Any help would be appreciated because
> we'd really like to be able to take advantage
> of the great features in SP2.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sandy M
>
June 10, 2005 9:29:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Same here as well!

"irpworks" wrote:

> Sandy:
>
> We have experienced the exact same problem on our peer-to-peer networks but
> with our large Minolta document center which has an on-board printer server.
> Other printers which are slaved off of other machines and shared still work
> but the Minolta requires opening the printer properties and printing a test
> page then it will printer most of the time. Otherwise, the print jobs just go
> into space. No machines other than those upgraded to XP SP2 fail. Failure
> comes immediately after upgrade. Have you heard of, or found, a solution yet?
>
> Robert
>
> "Sandy M" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have recently installed Windows XP
> > SP2 on 2 of our PC's. Since doing that,
> > they are experiencing problems printing
> > to an HP Color Laserjet 4500n printer
> > which is shared on a PC running Windows
> > 98 (really).
> >
> > They use Excel 2003 and when they
> > try to send a print job to the 4500 printer,
> > it takes about a minute to switch printers.
> >
> > They can print one job, but when trying
> > to send the 2nd job, Excel stops responding.
> >
> > We have found out by trial and error that
> > if you go to Services and stop, then re-start
> > the Print Spooler everything works "fast"
> > for one print job.
> >
> > I finally gave up and un-installed SP2 from
> > one of the PC's because she really has to be
> > able to print to the 4500 printer, and everything
> > is working great. No problems printing to 4500.
> >
> > One thing, just for info, we have some HP
> > LJ 2200 shared printers (on Windows 98 PC's)
> > and these 2 updated PC's have no problems
> > when printing to those.
> >
> > We also have some new PC's with Windows
> > XP Pro that came with SP1. Before updating
> > them to SP2 I was able to print to the 4500
> > with no problems.
> >
> > I know that SP2 is new and that you guys
> > are working on the bugs, but does anyone
> > have any info on this problem? I have seen
> > posts on the web for the same issue, but no
> > answers.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated because
> > we'd really like to be able to take advantage
> > of the great features in SP2.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Sandy M
> >
Related resources
July 5, 2005 10:40:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I'm having the same problem, could print to a printer shared from a W98 PC
from an XP PC, after updating to SP2 I am unable to print to this printer,
this is happening in a couple of instances in my company.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 1:47:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Paul,

What we ended up doing was biting the bullet and using a Windows XP Pro
PC as the print server instead of the Win98. Works great.

Sandy

"Paul" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem, could print to a printer shared from a W98 PC
> from an XP PC, after updating to SP2 I am unable to print to this printer,
> this is happening in a couple of instances in my company.
July 7, 2005 12:47:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Thanks Sandy, I'm sure that works well, unfortunately it's not an option we
can use here, I was hoping that I could identify what was actually broken but
it seems as though everyone with the problem is forced to follow your lead.

"Sandy M" wrote:

> Paul,
>
> What we ended up doing was biting the bullet and using a Windows XP Pro
> PC as the print server instead of the Win98. Works great.
>
> Sandy
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same problem, could print to a printer shared from a W98 PC
> > from an XP PC, after updating to SP2 I am unable to print to this printer,
> > this is happening in a couple of instances in my company.
!