Installation HP PSC 2410 failed on WXP SP2

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi,

When I try to install the HP PSC 2410 the Wizzard always ends up with
error message :

"There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400
(USBHUB).An error occurred during the installation of this device. The
required section was not found in the INF."

First, I uninstalled HP OfficeJet (witch had installed HP PSC 2410 driver,
so I installed the last OfficeJet (and driver)-> Nothing better

I unplugged all my USB devices, uninstalled all usb device drivers.
After a reboot in "safe mode", I deleted USB entries in device manager and
in
registry.After a second reboot, Windows XP SP2 has detected correctly USB
ports.I try again to install PSC 2410 driver-> without success, the same
error occurs
again and again

On Windows XP SP1, HP PSC 2410 works fine...
What's wrong with Windows XP SP2

my system : Abit KG7 (southbridge VIA VT82C686B, USB port 1.1) with lastest
released BIOS
WXP SP2
VIA Hyperion 4.53
VIA USB Filter 1.10 (with or without it, HP PSC 2410 does NOT work on WXP
SP2)

Thank you for any help
-----
Philippe

---
More about installation 2410 failed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Now did you follow the instructions to the letter?

    I don't believe you installed this in the correct sequence nor did you
    follow all the documentation.

    You need to conatct HP and ask them to assist you over the phone.

    What needs to be done is a thorough clean up of all the possible information
    installed. This may be as simple as using System restore to reset your
    configuration to prior to this failed effort.

    When installing HP PSC's I have found that the following actions assist in a
    successful installation.

    1. Read the instructions thouroughly BEFORE even attampting to install.
    Read, learn, then start again.
    2. Disable any Anti Virus and Spyware applications that may be running.
    3. Disable System Restore.

    NB When I had all the HP 'start' applications running: I could not
    successflly install Norton System Works: so it's worth remembering that when
    installing other applications, one should use Task manager and STOp any
    HPnnn.EXE tasks.

    "Philippe" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I try to install the HP PSC 2410 the Wizzard always ends up with
    > error message :
    >
    > "There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400
    > (USBHUB).An error occurred during the installation of this device. The
    > required section was not found in the INF."
    >
    > First, I uninstalled HP OfficeJet (witch had installed HP PSC 2410 driver,
    > so I installed the last OfficeJet (and driver)-> Nothing better
    >
    > I unplugged all my USB devices, uninstalled all usb device drivers.
    > After a reboot in "safe mode", I deleted USB entries in device manager and
    > in
    > registry.After a second reboot, Windows XP SP2 has detected correctly USB
    > ports.I try again to install PSC 2410 driver-> without success, the same
    > error occurs
    > again and again
    >
    > On Windows XP SP1, HP PSC 2410 works fine...
    > What's wrong with Windows XP SP2
    >
    > my system : Abit KG7 (southbridge VIA VT82C686B, USB port 1.1) with lastest
    > released BIOS
    > WXP SP2
    > VIA Hyperion 4.53
    > VIA USB Filter 1.10 (with or without it, HP PSC 2410 does NOT work on WXP
    > SP2)
    >
    > Thank you for any help
    > -----
    > Philippe
    >

    > ---

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi,

    Thank you for your anwer

    Of course, I follow HP instructions to the letter

    I follow too your instructions : I turn off my Antivirus, System Restore and
    HP Director (HPnnnn.exe) and even Windows Firewall
    So I try again an installation with the web release driver OfficeJet 4.2.
    => No improvement

    When the HP installation wizard ask me to plug HP PSC 2410 to USB connector,
    the message appears again :

    "There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400 (USBHUB).
    An error occurred during the installation of this device.
    The required section was not found in the INF."

    I open an incident to the HP Support but I wait for an answer (for a long
    time, I think)...

    Thank you for any help
    ------
    Philippe

    | Now did you follow the instructions to the letter?
    |
    | I don't believe you installed this in the correct sequence nor did you
    | follow all the documentation.
    |
    | You need to conatct HP and ask them to assist you over the phone.
    |
    | What needs to be done is a thorough clean up of all the possible
    information
    | installed. This may be as simple as using System restore to reset your
    | configuration to prior to this failed effort.
    |
    | When installing HP PSC's I have found that the following actions assist in
    | successful installation.
    |
    | 1. Read the instructions thouroughly BEFORE even attampting to install.
    | Read, learn, then start again.
    | 2. Disable any Anti Virus and Spyware applications that may be running.
    | 3. Disable System Restore.
    |
    | NB When I had all the HP 'start' applications running: I could not
    | successflly install Norton System Works: so it's worth remembering that
    when
    | installing other applications, one should use Task manager and STOp any
    | HPnnn.EXE tasks.
    |
    | "Philippe" wrote:
    |
    | > Hi,
    | >
    | > When I try to install the HP PSC 2410 the Wizzard always ends up with
    | > error message :
    | >
    | > "There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400
    | > (USBHUB).An error occurred during the installation of this device. The
    | > required section was not found in the INF."
    | >
    | > First, I uninstalled HP OfficeJet (witch had installed HP PSC 2410
    driver,
    | > so I installed the last OfficeJet (and driver)-> Nothing better
    | >
    | > I unplugged all my USB devices, uninstalled all usb device drivers.
    | > After a reboot in "safe mode", I deleted USB entries in device manager
    and
    | > in
    | > registry.After a second reboot, Windows XP SP2 has detected correctly
    USB
    | > ports.I try again to install PSC 2410 driver-> without success, the same
    | > error occurs
    | > again and again
    | >
    | > On Windows XP SP1, HP PSC 2410 works fine...
    | > What's wrong with Windows XP SP2
    | >
    | > my system : Abit KG7 (southbridge VIA VT82C686B, USB port 1.1) with
    lastest
    | > released BIOS
    | > WXP SP2
    | > VIA Hyperion 4.53
    | > VIA USB Filter 1.10 (with or without it, HP PSC 2410 does NOT work on
    WXP
    | > SP2)
    | >
    | > Thank you for any help
    | > -----
    | > Philippe
    | >

    | > ---

    ---
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem with HP
    drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there is a
    problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&os=228

    "Philippe" <pbonal@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
> [...]
    || >
    || > I unplugged all my USB devices, uninstalled all usb device drivers.
    || > After a reboot in "safe mode", I deleted USB entries in device manager
    | and
    || > in
    || > registry.After a second reboot, Windows XP SP2 has detected correctly
    | USB
    || > ports.I try again to install PSC 2410 driver-> without success, the
    same
    || > error occurs
    || > again and again
    || >
    || > On Windows XP SP1, HP PSC 2410 works fine...
    || > What's wrong with Windows XP SP2
    || >
    || > my system : Abit KG7 (southbridge VIA VT82C686B, USB port 1.1) with
    | lastest
    || > released BIOS
    || > WXP SP2
    || > VIA Hyperion 4.53
    || > VIA USB Filter 1.10 (with or without it, HP PSC 2410 does NOT work on

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Dear All,

    I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing the same problem
    "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the internet but have
    not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat and reinstall the
    OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody have a more elegant
    solution?

    "Frank" wrote:

    > Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem with HP
    > drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there is a
    > problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&os=228
    >
    > "Philippe" <pbonal@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Thank you for your anwer
    > |
    > | Of course, I follow HP instructions to the letter
    > |
    > | I follow too your instructions : I turn off my Antivirus, System Restore
    > and
    > | HP Director (HPnnnn.exe) and even Windows Firewall
    > | So I try again an installation with the web release driver OfficeJet 4.2.
    > | => No improvement
    > |
    > | When the HP installation wizard ask me to plug HP PSC 2410 to USB
    > connector,
    > | the message appears again :
    > |
    > | "There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400 (USBHUB).
    > | An error occurred during the installation of this device.
    > | The required section was not found in the INF."
    > |
    > | I open an incident to the HP Support but I wait for an answer (for a long
    > | time, I think)...
    > |
    > | Thank you for any help
    > | ------
    > | Philippe
    > |

    > | "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > || Now did you follow the instructions to the letter?
    > || I don't believe you installed this in the correct sequence nor did you
    > || follow all the documentation.
    > || You need to conatct HP and ask them to assist you over the phone.
    > || What needs to be done is a thorough clean up of all the possible
    > | information
    > || installed. This may be as simple as using System restore to reset your
    > || configuration to prior to this failed effort.
    > || When installing HP PSC's I have found that the following actions assist
    > in
    > || successful installation.
    > || 1. Read the instructions thouroughly BEFORE even attampting to install.
    > || Read, learn, then start again.
    > || 2. Disable any Anti Virus and Spyware applications that may be running.
    > || 3. Disable System Restore.
    > || NB When I had all the HP 'start' applications running: I could not
    > || successflly install Norton System Works: so it's worth remembering that
    > | when
    > || installing other applications, one should use Task manager and STOp any
    > || HPnnn.EXE tasks.

    > The

    > | driver,

    > | and
    > | USB
    > same

    > | lastest
    > | WXP

    > | ---

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Use Device manager to remove ALL USB ports and hubs. Remove
    any partial installation of the scanner/printer.
    With the device not connected, reboot. The USB will be
    re-detected and installed clean. Then install the HP
    software for the scanner/printer. Do not connect the device
    with the USB cable until instructed by the software
    installation.

    "Olaf.Braxhoofden"
    <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | Dear All,
    |
    | I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing
    the same problem
    | "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the
    internet but have
    | not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat
    and reinstall the
    | OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody
    have a more elegant
    | solution?
    |
    | "Frank" wrote:
    |
    | > Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem
    with HP
    | > drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there
    is a
    | > problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&os=228

    | > "Philippe" <pbonal@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | Thank you for your anwer
    | > |
    | > | Of course, I follow HP instructions to the letter
    | > |
    | > | I follow too your instructions : I turn off my
    Antivirus, System Restore
    | > and
    | > | HP Director (HPnnnn.exe) and even Windows Firewall
    | > | So I try again an installation with the web release
    driver OfficeJet 4.2.
    | > | => No improvement
    | > |
    | > | When the HP installation wizard ask me to plug HP PSC
    2410 to USB
    | > connector,
    | > | the message appears again :
    | > |
    | > | "There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400
    (USBHUB).
    | > | An error occurred during the installation of this
    device.
    | > | The required section was not found in the INF."
    | > |
    | > | I open an incident to the HP Support but I wait for an
    answer (for a long
    | > | time, I think)...
    | > |
    | > | Thank you for any help
    | > | ------
    | > | Philippe
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > ||
    | > ||
    over the phone.
    | > ||
    | > | information
    restore to reset your
    | > ||
    following actions assist
    | > in
    | > ||
    attampting to install.
    | > ||
    running: I could not
    worth remembering that
    | > | when
    | > ||
    | > ||

    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Date: 29/10/2004

    | > |
    | > |
    | > | ---
    | > | Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    (http://www.grisoft.com).
    01/11/2004
    | > |
    | > |

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Jim,

    Thanks for the quick revert. I am a bit unsure on how to remove all USB
    ports and HUBs. Could you please elaborate a little bit more for me.

    Thanks,
    Olaf

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > "Olaf.Braxhoofden"
    > <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | Dear All,
    > |
    > | I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing
    > the same problem
    > | "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the
    > internet but have
    > | not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat
    > and reinstall the
    > | OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody
    > have a more elegant
    > | solution?
    > |
    > | "Frank" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem
    > with HP
    > | > drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there
    > is a
    > | > problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Jim,

    I am a bit unsure on how to delete USB ports and hubs. Could you please

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > "Olaf.Braxhoofden"
    > <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | Dear All,
    > |
    > | I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing
    > the same problem
    > | "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the
    > internet but have
    > | not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat
    > and reinstall the
    > | OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody
    > have a more elegant
    > | solution?
    > |
    > | "Frank" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem
    > with HP
    > | > drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there
    > is a
    > | > problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Jim,

    Please also note that Phillipe had already tried this solution to no avail.
    I will still try however but do you have any other suggestions?

    Rgds, Olaf

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

> [...]
    >

    > "Olaf.Braxhoofden"
    > <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message
    > | Dear All,
    > |
    > | I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing
    > the same problem
    > | "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the
    > internet but have
    > | not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat
    > and reinstall the
    > | OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody
    > have a more elegant
    > | solution?
    > |
    > | "Frank" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem
    > with HP
    > | > drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there
    > is a
    > | > problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    The Device Manager is an application which allows you to
    see, update and remove/install hardware/software devices.
    Several ways to open it, easiest perhaps is to right click
    My Computer and select Manage, you'll see Device Manager
    listed.
    You will see a list of devices, select USB and expand the
    list by clicking the + sign. You can right click each
    device and select actions.

    | Jim,
    |
    | Thanks for the quick revert. I am a bit unsure on how to
    remove all USB
    | ports and HUBs. Could you please elaborate a little bit
    more for me.

    | Thanks,
    | Olaf
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Use Device manager to remove ALL USB ports and hubs.
    Remove
    | > any partial installation of the scanner/printer.
    | > With the device not connected, reboot. The USB will be
    | > re-detected and installed clean. Then install the HP
    | > software for the scanner/printer. Do not connect the
    device
    | > with the USB cable until instructed by the software
    | > installation.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Olaf.Braxhoofden"
    | > <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    | > message

    | > | Dear All,
    | > |
    | > | I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am
    experiencing
    | > the same problem
    | > | "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched
    the
    | > internet but have
    | > | not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to
    reformat
    | > and reinstall the
    | > | OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody
    | > have a more elegant
    | > | solution?
    | > |
    | > | "Frank" wrote:
    | > |
    problem
    | > with HP
    | > is a
    present.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&os=228

    message
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > Antivirus, System Restore
    release
    | > driver OfficeJet 4.2.
    | > | > |
    PSC
    | > 2410 to USB
    | > | > |
    | > (USBHUB).
    | > device.
    | > answer (for a long
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    message
    | > | > |

    letter?
    | > | > ||
    | > sequence nor did you
    | > | > ||
    | > over the phone.
    | > | > ||
    | > the possible
    | > restore to reset your
    | > | > ||
    | > following actions assist
    | > | > ||
    | > attampting to install.
    applications
    | > that may be running.
    | > | > ||
    | > running: I could not
    | > worth remembering that
    Task
    | > manager and STOp any
    | > | > ||
    | > | > ||

    Wizzard
    | > always ends up with

    PSC
    | > 2400
    installation
    | > of this device.

    | > installed HP PSC 2410
    driver)->
    | > Nothing better

    | > device drivers.
    | > entries in device manager
    | > detected correctly
    | > without success, the

    VT82C686B,
    | > USB port 1.1) with
    PSC
    | > 2410 does NOT work on

    | > (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Release
    | > Date: 29/10/2004

    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    Date:
    | > 01/11/2004
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    HP has the solution on their web site. See this.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=vn&dlc=en&docname=c00035977

    Good luck.

    "Olaf.Braxhoofden" <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:913FF78B-88DF-47EA-B013-E815893BCADA@microsoft.com...
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing the same problem
    > "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the internet but
    > have
    > not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat and reinstall
    > the
    > OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody have a more elegant
    > solution?
    >
    > "Frank" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem with HP
    >> drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there is a
    >> problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&os=228
    >>
    >> "Philippe" <pbonal@club-internet.fr> wrote in message
    >> | Hi,
    >> |
    >> | Thank you for your anwer
    >> |
    >> | Of course, I follow HP instructions to the letter
    >> |
    >> | I follow too your instructions : I turn off my Antivirus, System
    >> Restore
    >> and
    >> | HP Director (HPnnnn.exe) and even Windows Firewall
    >> | So I try again an installation with the web release driver OfficeJet
    >> 4.2.
    >> | => No improvement
    >> |
    >> | When the HP installation wizard ask me to plug HP PSC 2410 to USB
    >> connector,
    >> | the message appears again :
    >> |
    >> | "There was a problem installing this hardware PSC 2400 (USBHUB).
    >> | An error occurred during the installation of this device.
    >> | The required section was not found in the INF."
    >> |
    >> | I open an incident to the HP Support but I wait for an answer (for a
    >> long
    >> | time, I think)...
    >> |
    >> | Thank you for any help
    >> | ------
    >> | Philippe
    >> |

    >> | "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> | information
    >> your
    >> assist
    >> in
    >> install.
    >> running.
    >> that
    >> | when
    >> any

    >> with

    >> The

    >> | driver,

    >> manager
    >> | and
    >> correctly
    >> | USB
    >> same

    >> | lastest
    >> on
    >> | WXP

    >> | ---

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Dear Abhilash,

    I had already tried the suggested solution. USB.INF exists and is > 0 thus I
    have tried solution 4 (level 3 uninstall etc). Unfortunately this has not
    helped.

    Regards,
    Olaf

    "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" wrote:

    > HP has the solution on their web site. See this.
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=vn&dlc=en&docname=c00035977
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > "Olaf.Braxhoofden" <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:913FF78B-88DF-47EA-B013-E815893BCADA@microsoft.com...
    > > Dear All,
    > >
    > > I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing the same problem
    > > "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the internet but
    > > have
    > > not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat and reinstall
    > > the
    > > OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody have a more elegant
    > > solution?
    > >
    > > "Frank" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you using the latest drivers? There was a problem with HP
    > >> drivers and Java that sound like your error. Also there is a
    > >> problem if any traces of the old drivers are present.
    > >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=303753&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&os=228
    > >>
    > >> "Philippe" <pbonal@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

    > >> Restore
    > >> and
    > >> 4.2.

    > >> connector,

    > >> long

    > >> your
    > >> assist
    > >> in
    > >> install.
    > >> running.
    > >> that
    > >> any

    > >> with

    > >> The

    > >> manager
    > >> correctly
    > >> same

    > >> on

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Dear Olaf,

    Let us take one more attempt before going for the inevitable.

    1. Download the latest drivers from HP (never use the CD). Download "HP
    Basic Feature software/driver".

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?dlc=en&lc=en&product=311255&lang=en&cc=us&os=228

    2. Disconnect the printer & remove all traces of it from XP - files, device
    entries & registry settings. You can do this using the "All-in-One Software
    Removal Utility " from the above webpage. Perform Level 2 cleaning only.

    3. Reboot.

    4. Reinstall the drivers using the downloaded software.

    If this does not resolve the error, I am afraid you need to reinstall the
    OS. But there must be a simpler solution :(

    Regards,

    Abhilash

    "Olaf.Braxhoofden" <OlafBraxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:021E7BC5-9F9E-49F2-B18D-74AFC0BC28B0@microsoft.com...
    > Dear Abhilash,
    >
    > I had already tried the suggested solution. USB.INF exists and is > 0 thus
    > have tried solution 4 (level 3 uninstall etc). Unfortunately this has not
    > helped.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Olaf
    >

    > "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" wrote:
    >

    >> HP has the solution on their web site. See this.
    >>
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=vn&dlc=en&docname=c00035977
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>
    >> "Olaf.Braxhoofden" <Olaf.Braxhoofden@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message news:913FF78B-88DF-47EA-B013-E815893BCADA@microsoft.com...
    >> > Dear All,
    >> >
    >> > I tried installing my Officejet 5510 and am experiencing the same
    >> > problem
    >> > "required section not found in usb.inf". Have searched the internet but
    >> > have
    >> > not been able to find a solution. HJP advises to reformat and reinstall
    >> > the
    >> > OS which is not really a solution for me. Does anybody have a more
    >> > elegant
    >> > solution?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    What a coincidence.

    About three or four weeks ago my HP scanner went on the blink. Worked
    like a champ until then, no glitches worth mentioning. I suddenly
    started getting "Undefined program error 2117" or something like that.
    So I tried reinstalling the software several times, without any luck.
    I finally came to the conclusion that I might be dealing with some
    malware. I installed a copy of PC-cillin, which did detect a trojan
    of some sort that had piggy-backed on Internet Exploder. After
    cleaning that up, I tried to reinstall again, with no better luck.

    I made sure the scanner still works. I've been debating installing
    Linux on the old PC, but luckily hadn't done anything like that so
    far. Cabling up the scanner was the work of moments. The old machine
    booted without trouble and allowed me to make scans. So the scanner
    hardware is working fine, as is the cabling.

    A visit to HP.com later I had instructions for completely cleaning
    out the HP drivers and software, which I followed carefully. (Does
    anyone ever follow them carelessly? ^_^) I also downloaded HP's
    latest driver installation program for the scanner.

    A cleanup later I reinstalled, and found that now the software
    won't install at all. After running the installation program I
    restart the computer, connect the scanner, and then I get that
    "Required section not found" error message. Arrgh! I just got off
    the phone with HP's rep, who says that something has gotten
    corrupted in the USB drivers, and I have to try to extract the correct
    files from the disk to fix them.

    I've already tried the obvious, which is to disconnect all USB
    equipment, uninstall all USB drivers, and then reconnect the USB
    stuff one at a time to get the drivers reloaded. Apparently there's
    stuff that the uninstall doesn't remove, and the reinstall doesn't
    replace. (HP's rep warned me of that.) Now it gets complicated,
    since my system is a homebrew, and I don't know how to find which
    files Windows installed when it initially set up the USB drivers.
    Is there an installation log file I could look in?

    I only wish the INF error message were more helpful. Which required
    section is missing? It doesn't say. (That's why the HP rep suspects
    a corrupted file.)

    For what it's worth, I've run the Norton WinDoctor, which found and
    removed a large number of bad keys from the registry. Shouldn't
    there be a way to find missing driver linkages, or corrupt INF or
    PNF files?

    Is OS reinstallation really the only option?
    --
    Helge Moulding
    mailto:hmoulding@gmail.com Just another guy

    USB Scanner Initialization and Related Communication Error Messages
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00040499&product=303753&dlc=en&lang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Helge" wrote:

    | What a coincidence.
    |
    | About three or four weeks ago my HP scanner went on the blink. Worked
    | like a champ until then, no glitches worth mentioning. I suddenly
    | started getting "Undefined program error 2117" or something like that.
    | So I tried reinstalling the software several times, without any luck.
    | I finally came to the conclusion that I might be dealing with some
    | malware. I installed a copy of PC-cillin, which did detect a trojan
    | of some sort that had piggy-backed on Internet Exploder. After
    | cleaning that up, I tried to reinstall again, with no better luck.
    |
    | I made sure the scanner still works. I've been debating installing
    | Linux on the old PC, but luckily hadn't done anything like that so
    | far. Cabling up the scanner was the work of moments. The old machine
    | booted without trouble and allowed me to make scans. So the scanner
    | hardware is working fine, as is the cabling.
    |
    | A visit to HP.com later I had instructions for completely cleaning
    | out the HP drivers and software, which I followed carefully. (Does
    | anyone ever follow them carelessly? ^_^) I also downloaded HP's
    | latest driver installation program for the scanner.
    |
    | A cleanup later I reinstalled, and found that now the software
    | won't install at all. After running the installation program I
    | restart the computer, connect the scanner, and then I get that
    | "Required section not found" error message. Arrgh! I just got off
    | the phone with HP's rep, who says that something has gotten
    | corrupted in the USB drivers, and I have to try to extract the correct
    | files from the disk to fix them.
    |
    | I've already tried the obvious, which is to disconnect all USB
    | equipment, uninstall all USB drivers, and then reconnect the USB
    | stuff one at a time to get the drivers reloaded. Apparently there's
    | stuff that the uninstall doesn't remove, and the reinstall doesn't
    | replace. (HP's rep warned me of that.) Now it gets complicated,
    | since my system is a homebrew, and I don't know how to find which
    | files Windows installed when it initially set up the USB drivers.
    | Is there an installation log file I could look in?
    |
    | I only wish the INF error message were more helpful. Which required
    | section is missing? It doesn't say. (That's why the HP rep suspects
    | a corrupted file.)
    |
    | For what it's worth, I've run the Norton WinDoctor, which found and
    | removed a large number of bad keys from the registry. Shouldn't
    | there be a way to find missing driver linkages, or corrupt INF or
    | PNF files?
    |
    | Is OS reinstallation really the only option?
    | --
    | Helge Moulding
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
    > USB Scanner Initialization and Related Communication Error Messages

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00040499&product=303753&dlc=en&lang=en

    I've found pages like this already. It boils down to this: I can
    uninstall everything just fine, from the software to the files,
    to cleaning up the registry entries, to renaming the TWAIN folders.

    When I reinstall the HP software, everything works swimmingly until
    it comes time to hook up the scanner. That's when I invariably get
    the "required section not found" error message, and the scanner
    never finishes installing. I suspect that the reason why the error
    message isn't more helpful is because the real problem is
    something else, entirely. It wouldn't be a first.

    Meanwhile, without the scanner in the loop, my USB connected
    printer still works, as does my USB jumpdrive. The scanner works
    fine on the old computer.

    The HP rep thought it was a USB issue. I hope to find some way of
    building a list of files that need to be deleted, as well as
    obtaining instructions for cleaning out the registry, so that I
    can have the PnP subsystem rebuild all that from the start.
    --
    Helge Moulding
    mailto:hmoulding@gmail.com Just another guy
    http://hmoulding.cjb.net/ with a weird name

Hewlett Packard Microsoft USB Windows XP