Best cooler for Athlon 1400?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I would go with anything that has a copper base with a lot of fins. I haven't seen bad cooling out of any of those as long as you have a good fan with good CFM. I run a Globalwin heatsink w/ a Delta fan and it does alright. It's not even a copper base. My friend has a OCZ Goliath with a copper base a YSTech fan and it does better then the review shows with it slightly OC'ed. (Better meaning it runs at 30C at a room temp of 21.1C)

I have seen a lot of good reviews that have the copper coolers.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

uraniborg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
Hey,

From reading many reviews of heat sinks, it seems the best for overclocking are the following:

Swiftech MCX462
Alpha 8045T
Thermalright SK6

these are pretty expensive... the SK6 is the cheapest. you might be able to use a cheaper model of the Swiftech, like the MCXC370 (copper base) or MCX370 (aluminum base).

oh ya, and they usually upgrade the fan to a high cfm delta

good luck.

<b>uraniborg
<font color=purple>"Brilliant thinkers have often met violent opposition from mediocre minds."

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I use the Swiftech MCX-462 with a Delta that has a rheostat control so I can
turn the fan speed down (read noise). I have an unlocked XP 1800+ with a
12.5 x 135 fsb stable at 1680 MHz. mb temp=24ºc cpu=37ºc idle. Cpu load=40ºc.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink: