Compaq Presario 6024US - processor upgrade question (et al)

Hello,
I have a Compaq Presario 6024US that came with an Intel Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
processor (mPGA-478, 400Mhz FSB,Willamette core).
I would like to know what my best case scenario would be for upgrading the
processor. In other words, what's the fastest P4 processor I can hope to
find to replace my 1.8Ghz unit?

Also, does anyone know if the mainboard that came with my CP 6024US is a
standard ATX form factor mainboard? I would like move my PC into a better
case than the one that it came with, but I am not sure if the 6024US
mainboard is ATX compliant.

Paul_in_NC
3 answers Last reply
More about compaq presario 6024us processor upgrade question

    Paul,

    I'm not familiar with the Presario 6024US, but I did do some service work on a
    Presario P4 system last spring. The motherboard was standard microATX, and my
    client replaced it with a generic Asus board, nVidia graphics card and larger
    wattage power supply. Seems like Compaq has finally gotten away from the
    expensive and stupid nonsense of outfitting systems with non-standard parts and
    attachments for the most part.

    As for processors, the fastest processor with 400MHz FSB is a 2.8GHz Celeron, if
    I recall well. The questions always are whether or not a motherboard BIOS will
    recognize and handle a faster processor and whether or not the board is designed
    electronically to handle potentially lower voltage CPUs. Intel has had a habit
    of lowering CPU voltages as processor speeds increase, not to be a pain in the
    ass for all of us, but to deal successfully with ever-increasing problems with
    heat. Intel (and AMD and VIA and Transmeta) also expends serious research
    dollars on the design of chips that operate reliably at lower voltages.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:47:07 GMT, "Paul_in_NC"
    <paulwilliamsREMOVETHIS@THISTOOnc.rr.com> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >I have a Compaq Presario 6024US that came with an Intel Pentium 4 1.8Ghz
    >processor (mPGA-478, 400Mhz FSB,Willamette core).
    >I would like to know what my best case scenario would be for upgrading the
    >processor. In other words, what's the fastest P4 processor I can hope to
    >find to replace my 1.8Ghz unit?
    >
    >Also, does anyone know if the mainboard that came with my CP 6024US is a
    >standard ATX form factor mainboard? I would like move my PC into a better
    >case than the one that it came with, but I am not sure if the 6024US
    >mainboard is ATX compliant.
    >
    >Thank you in advance for any assistance.
    >
    >Paul_in_NC

    I have this same machine...well most of it anyway. The original case
    was damaged and I want to put the mobo in a generic case. All I need
    now is the pinouts for the LED/switch connector. HP/Compaq told me
    that this info is not available in their database and local HP
    service centers won't give me the info. Any ideas where I can
    download this info?

    Dominic

    The easiest way to figure this out is to trace the wire leads from the connector
    to front panel. I hope you retained the original damaged case to do this.

    About a year ago, I replaced a burned out Compaq Presario P4 motherboard with an
    Asus board. In so doing, I had to do a bit of rewiring of the case, but only
    because the original Compaq front panel cable harness had a single integrated
    plastic connector with a pinout that did not exactly match the Asus board.
    Suffice it to say that the Presario P4 chassis has the same power LED, hard
    drive LED and on-off momentary switch as a generic chassis.

    It should not be to hard for you to figure this out by examination... Ben Myers

    On 11 Feb 2005 21:17:26 -0500, dominic1234@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
    (dominic1) wrote:

    >I have this same machine...well most of it anyway. The original case
    >was damaged and I want to put the mobo in a generic case. All I need
    >now is the pinouts for the LED/switch connector. HP/Compaq told me
    >that this info is not available in their database and local HP
    >service centers won't give me the info. Any ideas where I can
    >download this info?
    >
    >Dominic

Compaq Presario Processors Computers