Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Software

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 20, 2010 8:47:19 PM

Hello,

I'm currently running Windows Xp sp3 on a Western Digital ide hard drive. If
I upgrade to Windows 7 will it have the drivers for a SATA hard drive if I decide to
replace the ide drive with a SATA drive?

More about : software

a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2010 8:56:50 PM

SATA drives or IDE drives don't need drivers unless that the OS will be XP SP2 or older.
m
0
l
October 20, 2010 10:13:28 PM

saint19 said:
SATA drives or IDE drives don't need drivers unless that the OS will be XP SP2 or older.


Hi,
Thanks for answering my question. So if I clone the ide hard drive with XP sp3 to the new SATA drive using Acronis 11, I shouldn't need any additional drivers for the SATA drive? My mobo is set up for both ide and SATA drives.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 21, 2010 5:05:32 AM

Grizly87 said:
Hi,
Thanks for answering my question. So if I clone the ide hard drive with XP sp3 to the new SATA drive using Acronis 11, I shouldn't need any additional drivers for the SATA drive? My mobo is set up for both ide and SATA drives.


U can clone it without problems since u don't change the mobo.
Share
October 21, 2010 10:13:31 PM

Best answer selected by Grizly87.
m
0
l
October 21, 2010 10:14:49 PM

welshmousepk said:
correct.


Terrific! I guess I will be replacing the Ide with the SATA. You saved me
a lot of time!

Griz
m
0
l
October 21, 2010 10:18:27 PM

saint19 said:
U can clone it without problems since u don't change the mobo.


Thats great! I've been putting off upgrading to the Sata drive because I've been reading that you need to make a image of the OS and then slipstream the sata drivers into it for the Sata drive to work. This will definitely save me a lot of time!

Thanks again!

Griz
m
0
l
!