using home telephone for fax

October 31, 2004 10:35:11 AM

I have just set up the faxing option on my WindowsXP. The fax number is the
same as my telephone number. I have three questions:
What happens if I pick up the telephone when a fax is coming in before the
modem picks it up?
I've set up the fax so that it answers after two rings. What happens if the
modem picks up the call and it isn't a fax?
Can the modem pick up a fax when the computer is turned off or in hibernation?

More about : home telephone fax

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:12:58 PM

Answers inline:

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"Marg V" <Marg V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just set up the faxing option on my WindowsXP. The fax number is
>the
> same as my telephone number. I have three questions:
> What happens if I pick up the telephone when a fax is coming in before the
> modem picks it up?

You'll hear the fax machine/modem on the far end attempting to connect to
the fax modem in your computer. They'll probably be able to finish the
transmission if you hang up and let your modem answer.

> I've set up the fax so that it answers after two rings. What happens if
> the
> modem picks up the call and it isn't a fax?

The person on the far end will hear your modem attempting to connect to a
fax machine/ modem.

> Can the modem pick up a fax when the computer is turned off or in
> hibernation?

No.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 7:53:36 PM

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 19:12:58 -0700, "Hal Hostetler [MVP-DTS]"
<hhh@kvoa.com> wrote:

>Answers inline:
>
>Hal
>--
>Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
>Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
>http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!"
>KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4
>Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
>"Marg V" <Marg V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have just set up the faxing option on my WindowsXP. The fax number is
>>the
>> same as my telephone number. I have three questions:
>> What happens if I pick up the telephone when a fax is coming in before the
>> modem picks it up?
>
>You'll hear the fax machine/modem on the far end attempting to connect to
>the fax modem in your computer. They'll probably be able to finish the
>transmission if you hang up and let your modem answer.

Except that if you have picked up the phone before the second ring,
the modem won't answer (there isn't a second ring if you pick up on
the first!). If you are very fast and/or sitting at the computer, you
may be able to tell the modem to "Manual Answer" before the remote fax
system gives up.

Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
Peter R. Fletcher
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 7:53:37 PM

Thanks to both of you; I now have the information I need to solve the
problem. I'll just ask anyone who wants to send me a fax to call me first so
that I can turn the computer on and not answer the next phone call.

Marg

!