AMD Athlon 1.1 Socket

G

I have an Elite Computer Systems (ECS) K7VZA mobo and an AMD Athlon 1.1 Socket CPU
My board will only take up to 1.2 so I would like to overclock this just a little.
I have already overclocked my old CPU which was a Duron 700.
Is the Athlon done in the same way i.e the pencil trick and the same L1/2 connections etc?
Please no replys saying get a new board cos im getting one soon I just want to know if it can be done the same way as the Duron.
Thanks

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, your board should support faster than 1.2 GHz processors and even the AthlonXP ones, just get the latest BIOS update. the BIOS only has to detect the correct speed of the processor for reporting, although sometimes it cab be a real problem since the stepping codes are unknown to the BIOS.

your Athlon 1.1 GHz works with the same old pencil trick to get unlocked, do it. And it would be easier if your board supports 133 MHz FSB in steps of 1~5 MHz. Even if it does not and has a jumper to set it straight to 133, its no problem since you can lower the multiplier so that the processor does not run too fast with 133 MHz FSB (with a multiplier of 11, it would attempt to run at 1.46 GHz which is way to high even to POST!), just set the multiplier down to some value like 8.5 (which will give you 1.13 GHz to start with)

Also, get a better cooler and check what core voltages does your board support so that you can aim for higher oc.

best of luck!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

G

ECS Support have said my board revision v1.0 will only support a Duron 900 or Athlon 1.2 tops.This revision will not support Athlon XP.I have the latest BIOS.
I cant really go to 133FSB because my memory is PC100.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, it must be the VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) issue, the board doesnt support the lower voltages the XP works on, but still you can use the processor and overclock it since overclocking does need some increase in the voltage too. do have any URL to the board manual or datasheet? I might be able to tell you what can you do with it, else it might be better to sell off the combo and go for a new one.

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>