1.4 AMD Too Darn Hot

G

What could be wrong? I'm running an AMD 1.4Ghz AYHJA (not overclocked) in an ASUS A7A266 MB. I bought a Globalwin CAK38 HSF, because THG tests showed that it would keep the CPU around 38C/100F at full load. However, at idle, it's running around 57C/135F, and while running FlaskMPEG, it hovers around 64C/147F. True that THG was using an AMD 1.0Ghz, but should a 1.4 be that much different (especially when not being overclocked)? The ambient room temp is 23C/73F and I also applied the recommended amount of Arctic Silver II. I'm using an Enlight Mid Tower, which has the power supply fan blowing out, a front mounted fan pulling in, and I even added another 80mm fan in back to blow more out. I've made sure that the cables are arranged to allow adequate airflow.

Some things that I've noticed, but I don't know if they matter:
1) When I remove a 5 1/4 bay cover, the temp will drop from 64C/147F to about 58C/136F. So even though the case appears to have plenty of ventilation, more is better, but I should not have to run like that.
2) This case is about a year old and has a 250W power supply. Could not having a 300W+ make a difference?
3) At idle, with the CPU at 57C/135F, the Motherboard temp is 40C/104F.
4) I'm using the ASUS Probe utility for my readings, but it shows the temp to be 34C/93F at startup. I would think it should be the same as room temp at 23C/73F, so I have to question the accuracy of the motherboard heat sensor. Has anyone had a similar experience with this? At first I wondered about the utility, but when I rebooted and checked the AwardBIOS hardware monitor, it showed the same temp for CPU, MB, and Fan RPM as the utility did.
5) The ASUS utility reports the fan RPM to be between 6800 to 7000RPM (like Globalwin says it should be), but THG says it's a 6000RPM fan. Probably Toms' measurements are more accurate, but maybe this matters.

Unfortunately, I upgraded the MB, CPU, HSF, and AS2 at the same time, and sold my old hardware, so I have no idea how any of these components would perform individually. Sorry for the long post, but I'm fresh out of ideas (short of a watercooler). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a Computer Geek, Jim, not a doctor!

Boondock_Saint

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2001
It sounds as if you don't have near enough case ventilation. Your motherboard temperature @ 40oC is hotter than my 1.4GHz Athlon T-Bird is running at this moment! Your MB temp should never be more than 10oC over room temperature. Try putting in a few case fans. This would also explain why the removal of one bay cover caused such a dramatic drop in temperatures: improved air flow.

:tongue: Have you ever tried cooking an egg on your HSF? Tasty. :tongue:

TRENDING THREADS