Sophomore jinx? A bit of rambling...

I was surprised to see the DVD edition of EQ2 for sale at Fry's for only
$19.99.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4230544?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Amazon.com and GameStop.com have it for $24.99.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-2484118-6588854
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=645832

These are the DVD edition, mind you. The cheapest I can find WoW, just for
the sake of comparison, is $44.99.

Now I'm no economist or business administration wiz (although I did stay at
a Holiday Inn a couple of times), but I can't imagine SoE chopping the
price like that if everything were all fine and dandy. You've just gotta
think that there are some tense meetings going on in the EQ2 camp.

While this latest Station Exchange abomination was the last straw for me, I
found the biggest problem with EQ2 was the overall generic, I might even
say soulless, approach to the core gameplay elements and mechanics. I felt
that in locking it down the way they did, thereby insuring their complete
control over all aspects of game balance, they effectively dilluted it and
made it much less interesting.

IMO, you can't simply make the attack/heal/buff/de-buff ratios for all
classes effectively equivalent and still maintain any sort of flavor among
the classes. Sure shaman and druids go about healing differently, but that
difference was really only interesting for a while. After that they were
just two healers and it bacame a game of four archetypes (three really,
when you consider that scouts and mages were designed to perform the same
base function) rather than 16 classes.

I also found it interesting that they decided to wait a week after their
announcement of the Station Exchange to conduct a poll to gather some
direct feedback from the customer base. I logged in a couple times within
the past week just to offer my 2c worth on the poll, but it was never
presented to me. It makes me wonder if the set it up to only be offered to
active subscribers, excluding those of us who quit out of disapproval and
thereby further padding their numbers.

All this really made me miss EQLive, so that's where I am, and I'm enjoying
myself again. Perhaps SoE should have just gone with developing a new
completely new MMORPG idea or merely bolstering one they already have (I've
got loads of sympathy for the SWG folk, for sure).

They've done the EQ franchise no justice with the sequel as far as I'm
concerned.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

    "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message

    > Now I'm no economist or business administration wiz (although I did stay
    > at
    > a Holiday Inn a couple of times), but I can't imagine SoE chopping the
    > price like that if everything were all fine and dandy. You've just gotta
    > think that there are some tense meetings going on in the EQ2 camp.

    Yeah, the latest subscriber figures for MMOGs don't show EQ2 doing well
    relative to expectations or the competition. It's a shame because despite
    the many problems the game does have, it still provides me and my wife a far
    better gaming experience than any of the other competitive products we've
    played. What it comes down to in the end, imo, is that SOE is just a bunch
    of boneheads who can't do this right. They were lucky to have Brad and
    Verant around to create their only real hit, and they've done just about
    everything imaginable to hurt the success of the games they've done since
    (this SOE Exchange thing is just mind boggling and will go down in history
    as one of their dumbest ideas to date).

    > I also found it interesting that they decided to wait a week after their
    > announcement of the Station Exchange to conduct a poll to gather some
    > direct feedback from the customer base.

    The poll was stupid and insulting. I voted NO on all three of my accounts
    but frankly wasn't surprised to see the announced results. What annoyed me
    most was the positioning of the figures. The results actually showed about
    an even distribution of players between NO, YES, and DONT CARE. This type of
    data really illutrates how easy it is to lie with statistics. From these
    results SOE claims that "most players" are either infavor of SOE Exchange or
    aren't bothered by it. I look at the same data and see that "most players"
    aren't asking for it. I have a feeling that no matter how the numbers came
    out, SOE would have taken the position that it supported their plan.
    Surprise, surprise.

    I'm still enjoying EQ2 quite a bit and have built a very fun and active
    community there with friends. This will continue for some time, but this too
    shall pass and a time will come when I'm ready to move on to the next mmog.
    Right now I've got my eye focused most sharply on Vanguard from Sigil. Both
    the credentials and the marketing muscle seem to be there, but note that we
    said the same thing about Star Wars Galaxies, and look what happened there.
    The difference this time around, I submit, is that you've got two entities
    who actually have a CLUE. Brad McQuaid and team and Microsoft. If these guys
    fail to give us something good, we should all just uninstall all our games
    from our computers and go out and buy consoles and martial arts games.

    --
    Redbeard, the Relic Keeper
    <Veritas>

    Descendant of the Elder Winterfury Thunderwolf
    <Resolution, Retired>
    Barbarian Prophet of The Tribunal
    Retired Citizen of Firiona Vie

    Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in

    > I also found it interesting that they decided to wait a week after
    > their announcement of the Station Exchange to conduct a poll to gather
    > some direct feedback from the customer base. I logged in a couple
    > times within the past week just to offer my 2c worth on the poll, but
    > it was never presented to me. It makes me wonder if the set it up to
    > only be offered to active subscribers, excluding those of us who quit
    > out of disapproval and thereby further padding their numbers.

    I got the poll, even though I did cancel my account, it has yet to expire,
    a few more days to go yet. It was on the order of a week or so ago.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
    Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired

    >> Now I'm no economist or business administration wiz (although I did
    stay
    >> at
    >> a Holiday Inn a couple of times), but I can't imagine SoE chopping
    the
    >> price like that if everything were all fine and dandy. You've just
    gotta
    >> think that there are some tense meetings going on in the EQ2 camp.

    >Yeah, the latest subscriber figures for MMOGs don't show EQ2 doing
    well
    >relative to expectations or the competition. It's a shame because
    despite
    >the many problems the game does have, it still provides me and my wife
    a far
    >better gaming experience than any of the other competitive products
    we've
    >played. What it comes down to in the end, imo, is that SOE is just a
    bunch
    >of boneheads who can't do this right. They were lucky to have Brad and

    >Verant around to create their only real hit, and they've done just
    about
    >everything imaginable to hurt the success of the games they've done
    since
    >(this SOE Exchange thing is just mind boggling and will go down in
    history
    >as one of their dumbest ideas to date).

    I think the biggest mistake SOE made was making it impossible to solo
    effectively once you hit the 20s. You can scythe through pretty much
    everything on IoR, had to be a bit more cautious in Qeynos and Antonica
    but once you hit 20 and went to Thundering Stepps, good god there was
    hardly anything you could kill. Once you found a solo mob it was
    invariable one creature surrounded by a bunch of agro heroics!

    Why SOE thought once you hit 20 you had to group (and more so needed a
    full group of the right mix) is beyond me but that decision cost them
    dear.

    SOE also got themselves a bad rep with constant and often unnecessary
    changes to EQ, over hyped and poorly implemented games (SWG) and "our
    way or the highway attitude" to customer complaints. Problem now is the
    highway is full of other MMOGs all willing to cater for the customers
    needs. Which is why WOW has done so well. Blizzard listened to that the
    market wanted and give them a mmog to fit. While NCSoft have spotted
    the potential for a simplified non fantasy mmog (COH) and serious PvP
    ones (Guild Wars & Linage)

    To give SOE credit they are starting to change EQ2 for the better to
    address all the customer complaints and wishes but its too late now.
    Most people got so pissed off they went elsewhere. Those customers have
    gone for good and they aren't coming back.

    Bob Perez wrote:
    > Right now I've got my eye focused most sharply on Vanguard from Sigil. Both
    > the credentials and the marketing muscle seem to be there, but note that we
    > said the same thing about Star Wars Galaxies, and look what happened there.
    > The difference this time around, I submit, is that you've got two entities
    > who actually have a CLUE. Brad McQuaid and team and Microsoft. If these guys
    > fail to give us something good, we should all just uninstall all our games
    > from our computers and go out and buy consoles and martial arts games.

    Amen.

    "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in

    >>> Now I'm no economist or business administration wiz (although I did
    >>> stay at a Holiday Inn a couple of times), but I can't imagine SoE
    >>> chopping the price like that if everything were all fine and dandy.
    >>> You've just gotta think that there are some tense meetings going on
    >>> in the EQ2 camp.
    >
    >>Yeah, the latest subscriber figures for MMOGs don't show EQ2 doing well
    >>relative to expectations or the competition. It's a shame because
    >>despite the many problems the game does have, it still provides me and
    >>my wife a far better gaming experience than any of the other
    >>competitive products we've played. What it comes down to in the end,
    >>imo, is that SOE is just a bunch of boneheads who can't do this right.
    >>They were lucky to have Brad and
    >
    >>Verant around to create their only real hit, and they've done just
    >>about everything imaginable to hurt the success of the games they've
    >>done since (this SOE Exchange thing is just mind boggling and will go
    >>down in history as one of their dumbest ideas to date).
    >
    > I think the biggest mistake SOE made was making it impossible to solo
    > effectively once you hit the 20s. You can scythe through pretty much
    > everything on IoR, had to be a bit more cautious in Qeynos and Antonica
    > but once you hit 20 and went to Thundering Stepps, good god there was
    > hardly anything you could kill. Once you found a solo mob it was
    > invariable one creature surrounded by a bunch of agro heroics!

    Well, given that I soloed quite effectively up to 30 with some grouping
    in there as well, I do believe you are mistaken on your assessment there.
    I spent most of my 20s in Thundering Steppes, soloing, and I started
    there prior to the changes to make soloing more viable. Since then, SoE
    added a huge number of solo mobs, and converted a lot of group mobs to
    solo.

    > Why SOE thought once you hit 20 you had to group (and more so needed a
    > full group of the right mix) is beyond me but that decision cost them
    > dear.

    They didn't think that, and you don't.

    > SOE also got themselves a bad rep with constant and often unnecessary
    > changes to EQ, over hyped and poorly implemented games (SWG) and "our
    > way or the highway attitude" to customer complaints. Problem now is the
    > highway is full of other MMOGs all willing to cater for the customers
    > needs. Which is why WOW has done so well. Blizzard listened to that the
    > market wanted and give them a mmog to fit. While NCSoft have spotted
    > the potential for a simplified non fantasy mmog (COH) and serious PvP
    > ones (Guild Wars & Linage)
    >
    > To give SOE credit they are starting to change EQ2 for the better to
    > address all the customer complaints and wishes but its too late now.
    > Most people got so pissed off they went elsewhere. Those customers have
    > gone for good and they aren't coming back.

    The one that got me was the Exchange server.

    --

    <james@doesntlikespam.org> wrote:
    > Bob Perez wrote:
    > > Right now I've got my eye focused most sharply on Vanguard from Sigil. Both
    > > the credentials and the marketing muscle seem to be there, but note that we
    > > said the same thing about Star Wars Galaxies, and look what happened there.
    > > The difference this time around, I submit, is that you've got two entities
    > > who actually have a CLUE. Brad McQuaid and team and Microsoft. If these guys
    > > fail to give us something good, we should all just uninstall all our games
    > > from our computers and go out and buy consoles and martial arts games.
    >
    > Amen.

    Oh yes, from the team that gave us staring at a spellbook for the vast
    majority of our playing time and the blockbuster hit Asheron's Call...

    In article <slrnd8h72o.h1m.faned@wyld.qx.net>, faned@wyld.qx.net says...
    > <james@doesntlikespam.org> wrote:
    > > Bob Perez wrote:
    > > > Right now I've got my eye focused most sharply on Vanguard from Sigil. Both
    > > > the credentials and the marketing muscle seem to be there, but note that we
    > > > said the same thing about Star Wars Galaxies, and look what happened there.
    > > > The difference this time around, I submit, is that you've got two entities
    > > > who actually have a CLUE. Brad McQuaid and team and Microsoft. If these guys
    > > > fail to give us something good, we should all just uninstall all our games
    > > > from our computers and go out and buy consoles and martial arts games.
    > >
    > > Amen.
    >
    > Oh yes, from the team that gave us staring at a spellbook for the vast
    > majority of our playing time and the blockbuster hit Asheron's Call...

    I liked Asheron's Call. It was actually a dynamic world. Things changed
    from month to month. Turbine was a very player friendly group. It really
    felt like they actually cared. I'd consider anything they released.

    <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    > In article <slrnd8h72o.h1m.faned@wyld.qx.net>, faned@wyld.qx.net says...
    > > <james@doesntlikespam.org> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Amen.
    > >
    > > Oh yes, from the team that gave us staring at a spellbook for the vast
    > > majority of our playing time and the blockbuster hit Asheron's Call...
    > >

    > I liked Asheron's Call. It was actually a dynamic world. Things changed
    > from month to month. Turbine was a very player friendly group. It really
    > felt like they actually cared. I'd consider anything they released.

    Yeah, except you're talking about the wrong piece of the corporations
    responsible for Asheron's Call. =P

World Of Warcraft Video Games