Sign in with
Your question

Need Some Advice On Hardware

Last response: in Video Games
July 24, 2012 6:29:35 PM

Hello everyone, so I have some really quick questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer on here. I'm getting a new laptop and still currently debating which hardware to get.

1) I'm hoping to play games for at least 4 years on this machine. HERE'S THE THING THOUGH: I am more than happy to play on lower settings to get better frames, so I'll play on the lowest setting possible in those end years if I still get decent frames. I know this requires some speculation but does this sound possible? (Read below for my information)

2) My GPU will be the NVIDIA 650M with 2GB VRAM, and my RAM will be 6GB if that matters. The processor will be 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz), which is the new Ivy Bridge. The laptop is the HP dv6t-7000.

What I'm really unsure of, is what processor to get. I was told by many that the i5 Ivy Bridge will suffice for my needs above. The other options were an i7 and i7 quad core. I would MUCH RATHER take the i5 if people don't believe many games will utilize an i5 or i7 with more cores and still hold its worth in 4 years; it will save me both money and create a little bit less heat, I would just like to know if the above sounds feasible with the i5 processor I mentioned.

Thanks for the replies!

More about : advice hardware

July 24, 2012 6:43:34 PM

I can't see there being a huge difference between the i5 and i7 when it comes to gaming, even in future games. Of course, nobody knows for certain, but there really shouldn't be much of a difference.

Save yourself the money and get the i5.
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:00:10 PM

It depends. On a desktop an i5 is a quad core non-hyperthreaded and an i7 is quad core hyperthreaded. So the difference isn't that huge since they are both quad core. In a laptop an i5 is dual core with hyperthreading while some i7's are just higher clocked i5s and others are actual quad cores. If it's a true mobile quad core i7, it would be worth it for a gaming laptop.

I do have a comment if you don't mind some suggestive advice. I like the HP Dv6t, it's a nice laptop, however, it's not a gaming laptop. I've found non-gaming laptops can get pretty toasty when gaming and just sometimes don't cut it. Have you considered an actual gaming laptop? ASUS makes a nice gaming laptop at the entry level price of gaming laptops. You will pay a little more for this, but it's worth it for the better cooling, GTX 660M, and 1920x1080 screen. This also has a quad core HT i7 and 7200RPM hard drive. It's just all around better suited for games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Plus, it's build for battle. haha, to coin their add.
http://rog.asus.com/notebook/15-inch/g55vw/

m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 7:11:54 PM

I appreciate the suggestion but I'm getting a ~30% discount with my purchase which gives me the best bang for my buck. I'd rather not delve into the realm of laptops made specifically for gaming as I still have to worry about carrying it around on campus.

The i7 quad is a i7-3610QM, but I'm worried about spending money unnecessarily for a component I won't really need since if anything the GPU will bottleneck first. One of my desktops is running a Pentium 4 but can still play Diablo 3 okay on low setings just because the GPU is decent. So we're talking about a 10-year old processor; I realize this is for desktops but I was just hoping the same can apply to laptops so I can be at ease by getting the i5-3210M and hoping it lasts for 4 years.

Again, my main point is I'm not interested in graphical quality; even medium settings is a lot for me. I would MUCH RATHER play on decent frames than higher graphics.
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:21:33 PM

30% is a nice savings. Just select what is necessary and stay in your budget. I was only making a suggestions. That ASUS is a 15" so it wouldn't be bad carrying. An i5 should be just find if you are looking to save some cash. The 650M should do you just find for moderate gaming. Just throwing in some suggestions from past experiences. The Dv6 is one of my favorite consumer model laptops. My sister just bought one and it feels nice for a $600 laptop.
m
l
July 24, 2012 7:27:46 PM

It's okay, I apologize if I sounded like I was bantering you as that was not my intention; I really do appreciate the time you took to reply to me and give me some information.

I'm glad you've had a positive experience with the dv6 because I plan on using it for the rest of my college career. Moderate gaming is definitely the high point of what I'm trying to hit. I don't care too much for AA or maximum settings, I just want it to play.

m
l
July 24, 2012 7:55:27 PM

My parents have an older Dv6 from 3 years ago and I purposely upgraded the video on it when they bought it to an ATI4650 as I spend alot of time over there and used it for casual gaming. I ended up having to prop up the back on coasters to get better airflow. That was playing Bad Company 2. It has had some issues since then, but the newer models may not have those issues. (mouse button coming loose and screen turning pink. I think due to how the hinge is setup and cable feed through it) My sisters is only a few months old and is pretty nice. Sitting it next to other models of the same price it just feels more solid. All laptops these days are full of cheap plastic regardless, you just have to find the better of the bunch. :D 
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:04:07 AM

That's so good to hear and gives me a lot of relief. I'm actually buying a notebook cooler before I even receive the laptop and will use it at all times except when I take it to class or the library. I hear some gripes about HP quality but my dv5 still works fine; I tend to be careful with my tech as if it was still the first day.

I like the look of it too; even though I wasn't targeting aesthetics in my search, it's still a nice addition especially one that looks appropriate for the general environment of my major.
m
l
July 27, 2012 1:10:25 AM

I think you should stick with the computer you have it would last you for at least 3 years on medium-high graphics
m
l
!