Need testers for printer management tool

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hello all,

I have written a set of tools that I hope will help windows system
administrators with printer management.

Specifically, it deals with managing per-machine printers. For those
that have not used per-machine printers, they're network printers that
appear no matter who is logged onto a machine. The ability to add a
printer to a computer instead of just to users' profiles has saved me a
lot of time and frustration.

The package consists of two ActiveX DLLs, a GUI tool, and a set of
scripts that manage per-machine printers. Here are some of the features:

* Add, remove, and enumerate per-machine printers on the local or a
remote computer
* Enumerate print shares on one or more print servers
* Restart the spooler service on the local or remote computer
* Enumerate and remove per-user printers for the current user (in case
you only want users to access per-machine printers)
* Set the default printer for the current user, or by adding a registry
entry, set the default printer for every user that logs onto a machine

System requirements are Windows 2000 or later; license is copyrighted
freeware. Documentation is in HTML format.

I've been using it pretty successfully for a while on my own network, so
I thought I'd make it publicly available. If you are interested in
testing this software for me in your own environment, reply in one of
these newsgroups or send me an e-mail: bill.stewart@frenchdomortuary.com
(remove "do") and I'll provide you a download location.

Regards,

Bill Stewart

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

4 groups.

There are some 1000+ ms groups.

Take your time.

"Bill Stewart" <llib.trawets@yrautromhcnerf.moc> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have written a set of tools that I hope will help windows system
> administrators with printer management.
>
> Specifically, it deals with managing per-machine printers. For those
> that have not used per-machine printers, they're network printers that
> appear no matter who is logged onto a machine. The ability to add a
> printer to a computer instead of just to users' profiles has saved me a
> lot of time and frustration.
>
> The package consists of two ActiveX DLLs, a GUI tool, and a set of
> scripts that manage per-machine printers. Here are some of the features:
>
> * Add, remove, and enumerate per-machine printers on the local or a
> remote computer
> * Enumerate print shares on one or more print servers
> * Restart the spooler service on the local or remote computer
> * Enumerate and remove per-user printers for the current user (in case
> you only want users to access per-machine printers)
> * Set the default printer for the current user, or by adding a registry
> entry, set the default printer for every user that logs onto a machine
>
> System requirements are Windows 2000 or later; license is copyrighted
> freeware. Documentation is in HTML format.
>
> I've been using it pretty successfully for a while on my own network, so
> I thought I'd make it publicly available. If you are interested in
> testing this software for me in your own environment, reply in one of
> these newsgroups or send me an e-mail: bill.stewart@frenchdomortuary.com
> (remove "do") and I'll provide you a download location.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Stewart

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi

I would love to test the tool, I have a network of 450 machines within a
school. There are probably around 50 printers. email:
sabraham@rytoncomprehensive.co.uk

Regards

Simon

Sabe wrote:

> Hi
>
> I would love to test the tool, I have a network of 450 machines within a
> school. There are probably around 50 printers. email:

As a general rule I don't install printer connections "per machine", and
have trouble imagining why anyone would want to?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

"Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Sabe wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I would love to test the tool, I have a network of 450 machines within a
> > school. There are probably around 50 printers. email:
>
> As a general rule I don't install printer connections "per machine", and
> have trouble imagining why anyone would want to?

In our environment we have a few workstations whose use is limited to one or
two individuals. The rest are typically used by up to 150 different people,
each of whom typically use the one in the office where they are assigned on
that day.

We prefer "per machine" printer mappings, as this is very intuitive for the
users: "Hmmm... I'm in this office today and there is the printer...".

Some machines are mapped to a variety of printers because these are all in
the general area, and or some provide special features (i.e. colour).

Our users rarely feel a need to print to the printer near their office
regardless of where they were logging in. In those cases where this is the
case, we typically show them how to map manually.

Given the above, what would you think the most sensible approach?

/Al

Gerry Hickman wrote:

> As a general rule I don't install printer connections "per machine",
> and have trouble imagining why anyone would want to?

Hi Gerry,

I have lots of users that move around to lots of different machines that
are geographically dispersed. It doesn't make sense for them to print on
a printer that's located 15 miles away. It's easier for me to manage the
machines' network printers centrally rather than repeatedly adding
different printers to users' profiles (and/or training them how to do
it). An additional advantage of this is that if I upgrade/replace/change
the name of a print server, everyone doesn't have to delete unusable
printers and re-add working ones.

Regards,

Bill

Al Dunbar [MS-MVP] wrote:

> We prefer "per machine" printer mappings, as this is very intuitive for the
> users: "Hmmm... I'm in this office today and there is the printer...".

I see what you mean.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Bill,

> I have lots of users that move around to lots of different machines that
> are geographically dispersed. It doesn't make sense for them to print on
> a printer that's located 15 miles away. It's easier for me to manage the
> machines' network printers centrally rather than repeatedly adding
> different printers to users' profiles (and/or training them how to do
> it).

OK.

> An additional advantage of this is that if I upgrade/replace/change
> the name of a print server, everyone doesn't have to delete unusable
> printers and re-add working ones.

But presumably you still have to update the per machine printers?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Gerry Hickman wrote:

> But presumably you still have to update the per machine printers?

Yes, but I only have to do it once.

Bill

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.printing,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax,microsoft.public.windows.server.scripting (More info?)

Bill,
Can I be one of yovr testers for these Printer managemtn tools? E-mail
is: Union70@hotmail.com

Thanks,
John

"Bill Stewart" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have written a set of tools that I hope will help windows system
> administrators with printer management.
>
> Specifically, it deals with managing per-machine printers. For those
> that have not vsed per-machine printers, they're network printers that
> appear no matter who is logged onto a machine. The ability to add a
> printer to a compvter instead of jvst to vsers' profiles has saved me a
> lot of time and frvstration.
>
> The package consists of two ActiveX DLLs, a GUI tool, and a set of
> scripts that manage per-machine printers. Here are some of the featvres:
>
> * Add, remove, and envmerate per-machine printers on the local or a
> remote compvter
> * Envmerate print shares on one or more print servers
> * Restart the spooler service on the local or remote compvter
> * Envmerate and remove per-vser printers for the cvrrent vser (in case
> yov only want vsers to access per-machine printers)
> * Set the defavlt printer for the cvrrent vser, or by adding a registry
> entry, set the defavlt printer for every vser that logs onto a machine
>
> System reqvirements are Windows 2000 or later; license is copyrighted
> freeware. Docvmentation is in HTML format.
>
> I've been vsing it pretty svccessfvlly for a while on my own network, so
> I thovght I'd make it pvblicly available. If yov are interested in
> testing this software for me in yovr own environment, reply in one of
> these newsgrovps or send me an e-mail: bill.stewart@frenchdomortvary.com
> (remove "do") and I'll provide yov a download location.
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Stewart

TRENDING THREADS