HSF for Tualatin

G

I am putting together a MP3 machine with a 1.2Ghz Celeron. This Celeron is a FCPGA2 chip, which means that it is a little different on the top.

Can a standard socket 370 HSF work with the Tualatin or do I need something special?

Thanks!

G

That's what I read too. I know that the boxed Celeron comes with a fan but I want to run with a Orb instead, if it is compatable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, ORBS SUCK!!! Second, I have used a standard cooler on my Tully Celly, they fit fine. I used an Evercool ND-8, but you can use really anything you want. You should consider the cooling to noise ratio, as it's very poor for the ORB.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

Thanks Crashman!

What is your opinion about the GlacialTech coolers? I've heard some good things about them, so I checked their website. They even list one of their HSFs specifically as supporting the Tualatin CPUs.

Also, what would you recommend that I use for the best heat transfer between CPU and HSF?

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I hear they're OK. For me, I think I would choose something from the Volcano series. Remembering that the Tualatin produces less heat and therefore doesn't have as high a cooling requirement. Volcano 5 looks like it's more than you need. Even a Volcano II would do the job, but hey, you might as well go overkill! I wouldn't spend more than $20 on a cooler, with the Volcano II at around $8, the 5 at around $13, and the 6CU+ at around $18.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?