Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are gaming mouse and keyboards worth it?

Last response: in Video Games
July 24, 2012 10:40:48 PM

Well pretty straight forward are gaming mouses and keyboards worth it for serious gaming like bf3?

Is there a noticable difference if i went to a corsair keyboard and a rat 5 mouse?
July 24, 2012 10:46:37 PM

faster response times, no key ghosting, backlighting, additional function keys, higher resolution cursor tracking all theses things can make gaming more fun.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 10:56:32 PM

hairystuff said:
faster response times, no key ghosting, backlighting, additional function keys, higher resolution cursor tracking all theses things can make gaming more fun.

The difference in polling between what are common peripherals and what are "gaming" are more often than not the same these days. In fact, though it would lead to a very much more complex discussion, some pro counterstrike players for instance prefer a polling of about half what is the "gaming standard" 1k hz for reasons that has to do with how the update jogs and how 1k hz can induce very slight jitter).

Most "gaming" keyboards do not have any increased anti-ghosting properties. Any of the standard gaming tagged Logitech G series keyboards for instance have standard anti-ghosting as any other 6kro keyboard. The only one short of certain mechanical keyboards that can make the anti-ghosting claim effectively is the Sidewinder X4 from Microsoft which is ugly, but does in fact have sufficient anti-ghosting to mention it as a feature.

Backlighting I've never thought added anything to gaming since most people who are gaming on their computers are also touch typists of varying ability, but it can look cool I guess.

If by higher-resolution cursor tracking you're referring to DPI, increasing DPI above the comfort threshold of 99% of computer-users isn't a gaming secret. It's just marketing. Most people are comfortable with their mice between 1800-2300 DPI for normal use, and some FPS players like having their DPI able to go extremely low if they are swipe-players. You won't find anyone using 5600 or 6400 or any of the gimmick dpi's though. They're just too fast. The thought of forum posters on other sites to increase the DPI to the max and then turn down sensitivity in windows to get "high resolution tracking" is in fact doubly counterproductive. Increasing the DPI while reducing the sens only creates more math for the computer to do, and introduces negative acceleration (which is a product of altering windows mouse sens).

So, I wrote all of that to highlight some points. OP, the vast majority of what makes a "gaming" mouse and keyboard as such, is just marketing. In the end, get what you feel comfortable with. Mouse and Keyboard are user-interface devices, and their shape and functionality play a very important role in how well you will perform with them. Don't get wrapped up too deeply in marketing hype, because a lot of it is as relevant as the crazy borderline-lies you see surrounding monitor advertising.

P.S.- If you see a pro gamer using something boring like a Microsoft Intellimouse, it's not necessarily because it has secret good JuJu powers. Most pro gamers try to stick with peripherals that are a familiar shape as what got them to where they are in the first place. I don't have the thread anymore but there was an interesting discussion on Overclockers a long time ago where some CS Pros were posting exactly why it was they used the mice and keyboards that they do. It was simply because those were the models of mouse and KB that they had grown up playing with.
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 11:19:25 PM

I have to admit I had a HP keyboard and mouse (I think they were logitech rebranded) for over 10 years and then when I rebuilt my PC recently I had to upgrade to USB type interface from the PS/2 keyboard and mouse that I previously had, the HP keyboard and mouse were perfect for gaming and the only thing that came close to them was the logitech G510 keyboard and the mx400 mouse, I even tried a Razor Lycosa keyboard and didn't like it, it felt cheaply made like a £2 keyboard so I switched to the G510. Overall I agree with what your saying casualcolors and I know that alot of companies put out marketing speil, but I do like the durability of gaming keyboards over standard office type keyboards.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 24, 2012 11:34:15 PM

I think most durability is related to the key type. Almost all membrane-type keyboards have about the same longevity, and mechanicals have moreso due to their capacity to replace individual keys without scrapping the board. Perhaps people just take better care of their gaming keyboards because they're dropping 100 bucks on them :) 
m
l
July 25, 2012 12:31:58 AM

I would have a low as possible budget but still with all this cool beans :)  like 75 dollars for keyboard and 75 dollars for mouse but less is better :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 1:04:19 AM

Well, the only thing that I will say for BF3 (since you mentioned it specifically) is that in my opinion, a mouse with no acceleration and no prediction/angle-snapping helpful. Since the mouse will always move the same distance as per your movement distance with your hand, it helps to get you steady with your reflexes and makes twitch shots happen more and more as you practice.

This is by no means universal and some people like acceleration (where the mouse cursor covers less distance if you move your hand slowly than if you flick it fast over the same amount of space on the mousepad). But, with what I said above being the case for me at least, and for a lot of other fps players, I'll relate this below:

If you have a budget of $75.00 per component, and you were already interested in the Corsair keyboards I would recommend that you do this. The new Logitech G400 mouse (it's a revision of the old G400) has a new sensor in it with zero prediction and zero acceleration. It's very reliable and if you're a person who likes a modest ergonomic shaped mouse, it's a very good middle-of-the-road shape. The sensor is very reliable and the price on the mouse itself is relatively low, being about $39.99. From an FPS-player's perspective, its sensor to me is better than what you'll find in more expensive mice such as a RAT 7 or a new 4g Mamba for instance, since those sensors do have some acceleration and I personally cannot stand that. So, I would recommend that you go to a Best Buy and see if the G400 is comfortable, and if so buy a new revision G400 and then put the $35.00 that you saved into your keyboard fund and buy either the Corsair K60 or K90 since you were eyeballing one of those two already. Another popular mouse with very low/no acceleration is the Razer Deathadder. Same logic applies, and it's about the same price. As before, I'd recommend finding a way to put your hand on one before you buy it, so that you know for sure if it is comfortable to you or not. If you do not like ergonomic shaped mice, the only really nice ambidextrous mouse at the moment as far as no acceleration is the Zowie AM. It has a very narrow form though, and it is not comfortable to everyone.
July 25, 2012 1:56:58 AM

Could you post links? Thank you so much you got the best answer :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 2:07:44 AM
July 25, 2012 2:14:22 AM

I thonk I will do razer deathadder and k60 thanks :) 
m
l
July 25, 2012 4:20:42 PM

Is the corsair m60 one of the good ones for bf3?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 25, 2012 7:33:25 PM

M60 as in the mouse? It's pretty good. Like I said, comfort is paramount, sensor technology second, gimmicks third. That "sniper" button or whatever on the M60 is a cool idea, but honestly unless you're accustomed to playing with a feature like that, it's going to cause you more grief than it's likely worth since it works directly against all of the benefits of having consistent mouse movement for reflex purposes.

The sensor in it I believe has some slight acceleration but it's not a horrendous mouse or anything. If you've held one and you think it feels really good, that matters more than anything.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 26, 2012 12:16:44 AM

I use a Das Keyboard, and a Zowie AM.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 26, 2012 12:45:23 AM

im gonna jump in on this too
i have the qpad mk 85 and rat contagion. i prefer my keyboard over the das for 1 reason backlighting. the orange/red lighting helps me see the letters easier due to me being dyslexic.
both keyboards are about as good as it gets in there respective rolls das being a typing keyboard and the qpad is a fps gaming keyboard, and there price reflects this...

you should also check out the storm trigger is as good as mine or the das and is fully mechanical with backlighting and full nkrol.
£99.99 is typical price and better than the both the k60 and k90 in thats they only have 6krol(6 key anti ghosting)...
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:45:31 AM

That cm trigger looks good how about that and a rat series?(remember budget)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 26, 2012 3:08:44 AM

there are better mice for less money if you stick to the basic 3-5-7 the contagion and infection are better but have some issues they shouldn't for such expensive mice. build quality being the main concern. the 7 is as good as any higher end mouse for accuracy but they are known to break after a few months. ive yet to see if my contagion has the same issues. there are a lot less complaints about it thats for sure but still to many for my liking. if your buying a high end mouse yor often just buying bells and whistles and thats no different for these, sure there nice bells and whistles but there still just that all the same.

cas gave some good recommendations check em out. for all coolermaster and corsair are new to mouse / keyboard market there storm and vengeance series are pretty good. well worth a look.
the g400 has recently been re-released with an update so that is defiantly worth looking into but they dont suite every 1s grip style just remember the basics of decent dpi, high poll rate, 0 acceleration and minimal prediction. remember them and you will get a good mouse regardless of maker.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 26, 2012 11:10:21 AM

i would say for value the deathadder and storm trigger. if you can afford em.
the k60 has 0 backlighiting and only 6key antighost. the storm trigger has full nkrol(all key anti ghost) and backlighting.

the rat 7 looks pretty but 1s your hands warm up it starts slipping about under it. i had to mod mine with sticky back rubber on both the palm grip and the pinkie rest.
get the black rubberised version if you must. but really i would say there is better value mice out there.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 26, 2012 11:27:40 AM

HEXiT said:
i would say for value the deathadder and storm trigger. if you can afford em.
the k60 has 0 backlighiting and only 6key antighost. the storm trigger has full nkrol(all key anti ghost) and backlighting.

the rat 7 looks pretty but 1s your hands warm up it starts slipping about under it. i had to mod mine with sticky back rubber on both the palm grip and the pinkie rest.
get the black rubberised version if you must. but really i would say there is better value mice out there.

The K60 has 20 KRO, not 6. But it does not have a backlight, that's true.

I looked at the Qpad that you posted you own earlier. Nice looking keyboard imo.
m
l
July 26, 2012 2:23:21 PM

Okay I cant find a storm trigger anywhere can you post a link I will go with razer deathadder and the storm triggert hanks guys :) 
m
l
!