AMD 1.4..getting warm

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
As I sit here with just a browser open my case is at 37 and my CPU at 51. I have just the OEM fan on the CPU which could be replaced. First question, what would be the most practical fan to place on my CPU? There are hundreds out there and I don't have the time to reaserach it all, so I turn to you.
I also have a case fan on the front, blowing through the case. Doesn't seem to be the best case. Would it help to get out the drill? If so...where? Should I take a couple face plates off, or card plates?
As you can see, I am looking for a economical solution.

Thanks for the input!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
It would help if you could put an exhaust fan on the back just below the power supply.

<font color=red>Remember...</font color=red><font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
it looks like you need more case fans

right noe i have 2 case fans one 80 and one 92

i'm running at 45 cpu, 23 system

this is with my cpu at 1350 and 150 fsb and the heat sink taht comes with the retial processer

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
Right now I am using MBM and I have 3 temps showing. The website didn't have any info on what each temp. is. The temps are 34 (which I assume is the case), 47 and 51. Not sure what those 2 are. I assume one is the CPU. Since I posted I pulled the sides off the case. There wasn't much airflow going through it and it dropped temps a bit. Not sure if I should get a decent CPU fan or do something with the case.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you can pick up two good case fans for around 20 to 25 dollar U.S.

<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com" target="_new">http://www.sidewindercomputers.com</A>

the case temp is pretty high i think the hightest my case temp ever got was 33c. that was the middel of summer on the thrid floor of a build with no airconditoning

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
theres a lot of info that comes in the mbm help
case temp is probably as you said, one of the others will be your cpu- to see which one, run something that loads the cpu i.e. prime95 or maybe toast and watch what one starts to rise (set mbm to update every second), it wont take long :)

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
Ok,

I am guessing that 34 is the case, 47 is the CPU and 56 must be the MB. Make sense? Anyway, are these temps do-able?

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
34 c would be ambient air temp in the case
47c would be the mb
56 would be the cpu

this is most likely waht it is

here is what i have for my system

cpu right know is 49c(but my room is warm then ussaly is)

motherbaord is 27 c

ambeint temp i think is 22 stil trying to figure out the thrid sensor it doesn't seem to ever change

we need to know how hot your roomis so that we can see if those specs are okay

also what size case, howmany fan what size placement
then all the specs of your system

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
It's about 65 in here. 1 OEM CPU fan, 1 pathetic case fan and I have the sides off. I found it was a lot cooler with the sides off...can you hear me? Yes, it is a little louder now. The last temp I mentioned flucuates between 30-6o, it is now at 30 bit will go up to 60 pretty fast. I am not doing anything really when it changes.
W2K, 1.4 Athlon, 512 DDR, K7VTA3

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you should have one fan in the front and on in the back also feel the air form yo poweer supply and see it is really warm.

with good case ventalation there should be very little verince with your case open or close. if you have it setup really good you cpu is actually coller when it is cold then when it is warm

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
I bought it like this with plans of fixing it up. The power supply fan blows hot air and there is a fan on the front bottom. I am thinking about a blowhole in the top. There is a big difference if the case sides are on, that is why they are off. I would like to buy a new custom case but can't practically afford to do so. I might just get out the drill and go to town with it.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
there should be space for another fan right below the power supply

i asked if it was bloewing hoter to see if it was doing its job of sucking some of the hot air away for the chip

i towuld relally be help full to know your rum temp. that would lets us get a better idea of where you should be at

milne

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001
Room temp usually is around 65 degrees....Montana ya know!
Yes, there is room below the power supply. With the sides off, there isn't much heat to be moved now.

34, 47 and 54 are the temps now.