Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Online Retailer 'Deactivates' Sandy Bridge CPUs

Last response: in News comments
February 1, 2011 11:56:42 PM

one of the reason why i shop newegg is because newegg cares about it's customers
Score
February 2, 2011 12:00:08 AM

I'm still moping about this, at least I didn't purchase, the one month waiting for defects time will always be observed by me
Score
Related resources
February 2, 2011 12:12:55 AM

I'm glad to be running a i5-760 build and not jump to SB-K like tons of other people.
HAHAHA..
I wonder if AMD/Bulldozer will step up beta testing and QA even more now...?
Score
February 2, 2011 12:16:44 AM

I'm moping because I bought one, haha. Replacing my mobo is gonna suck.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 12:19:56 AM

Get with the times guys, noticed this on newegg a few days ago.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 12:22:12 AM

I wish I had purchased, I was waiting for the next sale on cyberpower. SATA II. Who cares about SATA II? ASUS P8P67 has 4 SATA IIIs(plus 2 ESATA).
Score
February 2, 2011 12:29:37 AM

seriously though, just use sata 6 drives, then no issues. Now I can't buy my new cpu from newegg. Great.
Score
February 2, 2011 12:41:02 AM

maxiimGet with the times guys, noticed this on newegg a few days ago.

A few days ago? Intel only pulled its Cougar Point chipset yesterday, man ;-)
Score
February 2, 2011 12:41:52 AM

Quote:
seriously though, just use sata 6 drives, then no issues.

And just turn your head to a defective board? SATA 3Gb/s SSD's still beat the pants off any SATA 6Gb/s HDD. Just toss them in the garbage because your board can never use them because it has 4 bad ports? No thanks.

I am an intel fanboy and nothing like this will change that. First, I would never be the "first" to rush out and get the early revisions. Second, I wouldn't be buying a gimped chipset in the first place. This is not an enthusiast platform... 16 pcie lanes? Take that and shove it!
Score
February 2, 2011 12:52:01 AM

I bought the Sandy Bridge motherboard from Newegg and the board works just fine. I'll probably return it at some point. I'm not too worried about this glitch so far.
Score
February 2, 2011 12:55:51 AM

pewpew, i5-750 going strong!
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 1:00:00 AM

When you're an early adopter things like this can always crop up.
That's why I usually wait for a few months until these new platforms get throughly tested.Newegg did the right thing.
Score
February 2, 2011 1:15:30 AM

NewEgg is the first place I go, for the last few years, to get parts. Their service and prices are top of the best 99.99% of time.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 1:30:00 AM

I just hope this doesn't give some people the false impression that the CPUs themselves are defective. I've already seen quite a few very uninformed people that believed that the CPUs were defective, not the chipset.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:01:03 AM

Wow talk about overreacting I have a sandy bridge i7-2600k and no its not going to blowup or do anything that would effect me the problem is so small it would only effect 1% of the people who have it already.
Just putting using the 6gb controller prevents anything from happening and you would have to be running an enterprise data center on the 3gb controller to see anything happen.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 2:49:48 AM

I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and settled for an I7 930 1366. I am happy with it coming from an e8400.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:53:03 AM

MSI has declared to recall all its P67 and H67 board. And i think every big dealer will treat its consumer nicely. So what is the big deal? The board still functioning perfectly now, its only degraded within time, as news reported. I will get new replacement as the revision board comes out. Until then, i just need to use sata3 port. infact,, im using this new tech processor right now when the others cant even buy it? a ++,, haha.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:54:23 AM

James296one of the reason why i shop newegg is because newegg cares about it's customers

True. Newegg is playing it smart by deactivating these items because more than likely they would just be turning around processing returns of these items. Add in their return policy on CPU's and this is the smartest way to protect themselves AND the consumer. Processing returns for a mass recall would cost them tons of $$ so this way they are eliminating an excessive cost.

This is not a ploy for them to clear out old stock because anyone wanting to build a SB machine will wait a couple months and do so when this issue is resolved. With the i7 950 (and i7 920 and 930 discontinued)at a new low price I have no doubts they are still moving the original i7's out the door pretty fast.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:59:20 AM

I've been using AMD products for years and have been quite satisfied, I have never really been that interested in having the latest/greatest. I realize that this issue means the new Sandy Bridge chipset is not "perfect", but frankly I fail to see any real problem here. It looks like the whole industry is really overeacting on this one. Are those of you who have purchased these boards/cpu happy with the performance/price/features? It just seems to me it is a problem that no ordinary user would ever experience in daily use.
Score
February 2, 2011 3:22:16 AM

Only read about half the comments, they all looked pretty similar.

The local place where I get my PC stuff from in Australia has gone a different route to NewEgg.

Instead of dropping all 1155 products, CPU+Motherboards, they initially dropped the motherboards (but kept the CPU's on sale) when they heard of the issue. But now after more information and thought, they decided to add the boards back to their list. But also added huge red warnings saying the issue exists, and also suggesting alternatives to those who are tech savvy enough.

Like myself, I'm not phased by this bug, as I will only be using the Sata3 6gbps ports. So I'm glad I can still buy the remaining parts for my new SB build, which is CPU, MoBo and RAM. Case and everything else is already in transit =D

Major retailers should still provide an option for those knowledgeable enough to still get access to existing 1155 stock, I mean, they lose money otherwise...
Score
February 2, 2011 3:23:48 AM

also to add to my previous post.. you don't "lose" your sata2 SSDs, because Sata3 is backwards compatible with Sata2.. Just plug your damned SSD into the Sata3 6gbps ports.. lol
Score
February 2, 2011 4:21:08 AM

someone @ intel will get fired thats for sure.
Score
February 2, 2011 5:08:42 AM

malmentalI'm glad to be running a i5-760 build and not jump to SB-K like tons of other people. HAHAHA..

Yeah so you'll be stuck with an abandoned socket and 20% lower performance across the board (and that's before overclocking).

malmentalI wonder if AMD/Bulldozer will step up beta testing and QA even more now...?

Yeah, they won't be buggy but they'll be slow.
Score
February 2, 2011 7:09:01 AM

I don't mind the fact that Newegg dropped all of their Socket 1155 MOBOs but to drop all of the processors too irritated me at first, especially without any explanation as to why or how long. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait again now.
Score
February 2, 2011 7:39:04 AM

slothy89Like myself, I'm not phased by this bug, as I will only be using the Sata3 6gbps ports. So I'm glad I can still buy the remaining parts for my new SB build, which is CPU, MoBo and RAM. Case and everything else is already in transit =DMajor retailers should still provide an option for those knowledgeable enough to still get access to existing 1155 stock, I mean, they lose money otherwise...

My thoughts exactly! Why not provide an option to those who at least have to go ahead with their build anyway? If you're not using the 3Gb ports, and don't intend to anyway, there should be some option to complete your system. Instead of being stuck with a whole bunch of parts minus as CPU. Or motherboard.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 8:38:20 AM

The title in this article is damn misleading (and you KNOW IT) and a very good example of how to infuriate people. TH - this sort of ploy damages both your integrity the interest of your visitors.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 10:02:16 AM

"I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and settled for an I7 930 1366. I am happy with it coming from an e8400"

Yeah keep telling yourself you bought the right socket, one day you might believe it. I wont however, crap choice!
Score
February 2, 2011 10:19:32 AM

i find newegg exagerating especially since those who are on newegg generally aren't noobs..let me decide! this is not apple why are they forcing a choice on me? xbox had defects and they didnt recall, and i would have been pissed if i had to wait a month or two while others are enjoying the platform. amazon was the last place i saw still selling the mobos. i got one and ill be using the 6gb port. voila no need to panick...this all seems really overblown, i just hope intel is telling us everything!
Score
February 2, 2011 10:22:46 AM

campb292And just turn your head to a defective board? SATA 3Gb/s SSD's still beat the pants off any SATA 6Gb/s HDD.

thats because your comparing an hdd to an ssd drive...duuh
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 10:46:13 AM

Here is what Newegg is sending to the current owners of a Gigabyte UD7:

Dear John,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.

As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.

From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvY

If you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspx

If none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.

If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.

Thank you for your support!

Sincerely,

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team
Score
February 2, 2011 10:56:56 AM

I don't understand why they won't move the defective motherboards for an extremely reduced price (without warranty). That seems smarter than throwing them out.
Score
February 2, 2011 1:05:04 PM

nicknzlThe title in this article is damn misleading (and you KNOW IT) and a very good example of how to infuriate people. TH - this sort of ploy damages both your integrity the interest of your visitors.

What are you referring to?
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 1:07:47 PM

eloricHere is what Newegg is sending to the current owners of a Gigabyte UD7:D ear John,Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem.As always, Newegg remains 100% committed to our customers' total satisfaction. In keeping with our commitment to our customers, we are extending the return period for your motherboard by 90 days or until replacements become available from the manufacturer, whichever is greater. Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems.From a technical standpoint, the design issue can be bypassed fairly simply by not using the Serial ATA (SATA) ports that are affected. Your motherboard’s manual should identify your SATA ports by number, and at a minimum you should see ports 0-5 (6 ports in total) listed. Ports 0 and 1 are Sata Rev. III (6Gbps), and do not appear to be affected by this problem. Ports 2-5 are SATA Rev. II (3Gbps) and should not be used. For a thorough explanation of this hardware work-around, please refer to our video on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcE2alQPvYIf you choose to use the hardware work-around option, there is no need to contact us at this time. We have your information on record and will email you as soon as the replacements become available. If you would like to discuss this with our tech community or read up on the latest updates, please visit our EggXpert forum:http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/682006.aspxIf none of the above options are suitable to your needs and you wish to return the board at this time for a full refund, please email us at intelsandybridge@newegg.com and include your sales order number so we can help you out with your return.If you have any concerns, please contact Newegg Customer Service for further information and assistance.Thank you for your support!Sincerely,Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team

Wow, good for Newegg. Very detailed, and explains what the issue affects, and how to get around it.
Score
February 2, 2011 1:29:42 PM

looks like intel is the only one producing chipset that will work with Sandy Bridge. unlike before when Via, Amd, nVidia have chipsets that will run intel cpus. so if intel screws up, a lot of IT businesses suffer.
Score
February 2, 2011 2:27:38 PM

malmentalI'm glad to be running a i5-760 build and not jump to SB-K like tons of other people. HAHAHA..I wonder if AMD/Bulldozer will step up beta testing and QA even more now...?

For $30-$40, the problem can be completely avoided without the need to replace the board later by simply buying a PCI Express based SATAII or Raid controller. Really not a major issue for anyone with a functioning brain.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 2:30:27 PM

immoral medicseriously though, just use sata 6 drives, then no issues. Now I can't buy my new cpu from newegg. Great.

I don't know about you, but I don't care WHAT part of it works and what doesn't. I just refuse to buy a processor/chipset that I know doesn't (or isn't going to) work the way it was intended to. End of story.

My thanks go out to NewEgg, Intel, MSI, and a lot of other people for their good handling of the situation. Well done. :D 
Score
February 2, 2011 3:20:27 PM

Will gladly take "defective parts" on the cheap. Let me know :D 
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 3:28:41 PM

Yeah they are really pimping the AMD processors right now.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 4:07:36 PM

wawa sxmi find newegg exagerating especially since those who are on newegg generally aren't noobs..let me decide! this is not apple why are they forcing a choice on me? xbox had defects and they didnt recall, and i would have been pissed if i had to wait a month or two while others are enjoying the platform. amazon was the last place i saw still selling the mobos. i got one and ill be using the 6gb port. voila no need to panick...this all seems really overblown, i just hope intel is telling us everything!

1)quite a few of the shoppers on newegg aren't as saavy as you would like to believe. read some reviews and you'll see what i mean.
2)they are pulling it because it is a known defective problem. the vast majority of people wouldn't want to waste money on such a product. this saves their money and time, and your frustration.
3)are you telling me that you absolutely can not wait another few months for a working revision to be out?

eloricHere is what Newegg is sending to the current owners of a Gigabyte UD7:D ear John...etc...

this is why i buy computer hardware almost exclusively from newegg. fantastic company.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 5:40:19 PM

Newegg? A majority of my cpu purchases goes to Microcenter nowadays.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 5:54:27 PM

Seriously, whom pays for a part that has known defect to just LIVE with it ?? Most folks that spend alot of money and computers are generally not cheap pay for the parts to work as intented not partially working or non working parts when paying the "NEW" price from retail.

Sure blame intel for the QA problem missed, but now after its noted, vednors selling the busted parts after the notice goes out, just shows you whom you should or should not do business with now adays.

Buy from a company that wont sell you a known recalled part or a company that will do that to you ( and the aggrivation to the consumer down the raid for such a consequence) Businesses are taking big risks with this notice and the ones that step up and stop selling the junk and offer refunds are the only legitimate ones to do real business with. The rest dont care sell you knoow busted parts, and let you deal with warranty with MFG headache later business plans.
Score
February 2, 2011 6:34:31 PM

That is what i was thinking dump old stock
Score
February 2, 2011 6:37:25 PM

This makes me sorta happy...I was about to sell my system and buy the chipset. Something told me not too so I scrapped the deal and a day later POOF I read a chipset flaw.
Score
February 2, 2011 7:16:53 PM

Microcenter has it much cheaper than Newegg. They also have the 950 cheaper than Newegg.
Score
February 2, 2011 7:17:02 PM

Microcenter has it much cheaper than Newegg. They also have the 950 cheaper than Newegg.
Score
February 2, 2011 7:17:25 PM

Score
February 2, 2011 7:19:48 PM

Sorry for the reposts, but my browser had the hiccups.
Score
February 2, 2011 7:20:52 PM

gamerk316Wow, good for Newegg. Very detailed, and explains what the issue affects, and how to get around it.

Doesn't help if you have a raid set up on the SATA 3 ports.
Score
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2011 7:27:48 PM

I bought an i5-2500k and an MSI P67-GD65 motherboard from Newegg as a combo deal. The motherboard didn't work (would power on and could get into Marvell RAID controller BIOS, but then it would lock up and not complete POST) and MSI recommended RMA replacement. I mailed it back to Newegg Thursday and they received it yesterday, today they changed my replacement to a refund and refuse to ship me a motherboard. As a result I have no choice but to send back the CPU and buy something that costs the same $$$ but is 15% slower, uses 33% more electricity, and with a chipset that is already obsoleted by the 1155 chipset. Or else sit on $1,000 worth of computer parts until a replacement motherboard is available in April.

Newegg won't replace the board with another one that has the defect, and it doesn't look like I can get one anywhere else. If I'd known this Thursday I would have tried to RMA it through MSI. I'm bummed out today--been looking forward to building this thing since November.
Score
!