Online Retailer 'Deactivates' Sandy Bridge CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbalizer

Distinguished
I'm glad to be running a i5-760 build and not jump to SB-K like tons of other people.
HAHAHA..
I wonder if AMD/Bulldozer will step up beta testing and QA even more now...?

G

I wish I had purchased, I was waiting for the next sale on cyberpower. SATA II. Who cares about SATA II? ASUS P8P67 has 4 SATA IIIs(plus 2 ESATA).

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]maxiim[/nom]Get with the times guys, noticed this on newegg a few days ago.[/citation]

A few days ago? Intel only pulled its Cougar Point chipset yesterday, man ;-)

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
seriously though, just use sata 6 drives, then no issues.

And just turn your head to a defective board? SATA 3Gb/s SSD's still beat the pants off any SATA 6Gb/s HDD. Just toss them in the garbage because your board can never use them because it has 4 bad ports? No thanks.

I am an intel fanboy and nothing like this will change that. First, I would never be the "first" to rush out and get the early revisions. Second, I wouldn't be buying a gimped chipset in the first place. This is not an enthusiast platform... 16 pcie lanes? Take that and shove it!

roflmaonow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2011
I bought the Sandy Bridge motherboard from Newegg and the board works just fine. I'll probably return it at some point. I'm not too worried about this glitch so far.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
When you're an early adopter things like this can always crop up.
That's why I usually wait for a few months until these new platforms get throughly tested.Newegg did the right thing.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I just hope this doesn't give some people the false impression that the CPUs themselves are defective. I've already seen quite a few very uninformed people that believed that the CPUs were defective, not the chipset.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Wow talk about overreacting I have a sandy bridge i7-2600k and no its not going to blowup or do anything that would effect me the problem is so small it would only effect 1% of the people who have it already.
Just putting using the 6gb controller prevents anything from happening and you would have to be running an enterprise data center on the 3gb controller to see anything happen.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
MSI has declared to recall all its P67 and H67 board. And i think every big dealer will treat its consumer nicely. So what is the big deal? The board still functioning perfectly now, its only degraded within time, as news reported. I will get new replacement as the revision board comes out. Until then, i just need to use sata3 port. infact,, im using this new tech processor right now when the others cant even buy it? a ++,, haha.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]James296[/nom]one of the reason why i shop newegg is because newegg cares about it's customers[/citation]
True. Newegg is playing it smart by deactivating these items because more than likely they would just be turning around processing returns of these items. Add in their return policy on CPU's and this is the smartest way to protect themselves AND the consumer. Processing returns for a mass recall would cost them tons of $$ so this way they are eliminating an excessive cost.

This is not a ploy for them to clear out old stock because anyone wanting to build a SB machine will wait a couple months and do so when this issue is resolved. With the i7 950 (and i7 920 and 930 discontinued)at a new low price I have no doubts they are still moving the original i7's out the door pretty fast.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
I've been using AMD products for years and have been quite satisfied, I have never really been that interested in having the latest/greatest. I realize that this issue means the new Sandy Bridge chipset is not "perfect", but frankly I fail to see any real problem here. It looks like the whole industry is really overeacting on this one. Are those of you who have purchased these boards/cpu happy with the performance/price/features? It just seems to me it is a problem that no ordinary user would ever experience in daily use.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Only read about half the comments, they all looked pretty similar.

The local place where I get my PC stuff from in Australia has gone a different route to NewEgg.

Instead of dropping all 1155 products, CPU+Motherboards, they initially dropped the motherboards (but kept the CPU's on sale) when they heard of the issue. But now after more information and thought, they decided to add the boards back to their list. But also added huge red warnings saying the issue exists, and also suggesting alternatives to those who are tech savvy enough.

Like myself, I'm not phased by this bug, as I will only be using the Sata3 6gbps ports. So I'm glad I can still buy the remaining parts for my new SB build, which is CPU, MoBo and RAM. Case and everything else is already in transit =D

Major retailers should still provide an option for those knowledgeable enough to still get access to existing 1155 stock, I mean, they lose money otherwise...

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
also to add to my previous post.. you don't "lose" your sata2 SSDs, because Sata3 is backwards compatible with Sata2.. Just plug your damned SSD into the Sata3 6gbps ports.. lol

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]I'm glad to be running a i5-760 build and not jump to SB-K like tons of other people. HAHAHA..[/citation]

Yeah so you'll be stuck with an abandoned socket and 20% lower performance across the board (and that's before overclocking).

[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]I wonder if AMD/Bulldozer will step up beta testing and QA even more now...?[/citation]

Yeah, they won't be buggy but they'll be slow.

jerryrip

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I don't mind the fact that Newegg dropped all of their Socket 1155 MOBOs but to drop all of the processors too irritated me at first, especially without any explanation as to why or how long. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.