Fax Install Fails on XP SP2

Hi there,

just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
him, some I had to skip.

Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff like:

[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
rc = 0x4b8
[11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
(fax)

If you need the complete log, pls PM me.

Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
to fax is gone again...
How do I fix that?

Regards,
Tim
28 answers Last reply
More about install fails

    Send me the entire log along with more complete steps to repro and modem
    information.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    > Send me the entire log along with more complete steps to repro and modem
    > information.

    Hi Russ,

    Just sent out the Log via PM.

    Steps to reproduce: (XP SP2, German)
    1. Open Printers and Fax panel, click install Fax.
    2. Wizard complains about missing files (default location is
    windows\servicepackfiles).
    3. I point the find file dialog to my windows cd (e:\i386)
    4. Tells me: Exisiting file is newer than CD version. I click keep
    current version
    Wizard ends.
    Repeat steps 1-4 for ~ 15 fax related dlls
    Files I couldnt locate on cd or hd, i skipped.

    5. Wizard runs to 100%, ends
    6. Printer panel shows: install local fax printer. Clicking doesnt do
    anything

    When I go over Control Panel -> Software -> Windows Components, same
    thing, Wizard runs to 100%, in the background a fax icon appears and
    disappears in the printer panel.

    Thanks for your help,
    Tim

    I'll forward the information on and post back.
    --
    > Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    >> Send me the entire log along with more complete steps to repro and modem
    >> information.
    >
    > Hi Russ,
    >
    > Just sent out the Log via PM.
    >
    > Steps to reproduce: (XP SP2, German)
    > 1. Open Printers and Fax panel, click install Fax.
    > 2. Wizard complains about missing files (default location is
    > windows\servicepackfiles).
    > 3. I point the find file dialog to my windows cd (e:\i386)
    > 4. Tells me: Exisiting file is newer than CD version. I click keep current
    > version
    > Wizard ends.
    > Repeat steps 1-4 for ~ 15 fax related dlls
    > Files I couldnt locate on cd or hd, i skipped.
    >
    > 5. Wizard runs to 100%, ends
    > 6. Printer panel shows: install local fax printer. Clicking doesnt do
    > anything
    >
    > When I go over Control Panel -> Software -> Windows Components, same
    > thing, Wizard runs to 100%, in the background a fax icon appears and
    > disappears in the printer panel.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Tim

    Wait a minute. Your installation files won't be on the CD if you've applied
    a Service Pack.
    If you have applied a service pack, these files may have been moved to a
    different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    routine to that folder.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    "Tim O'Connor" <muellkontrolle@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    >> Send me the entire log along with more complete steps to repro and modem
    >> information.
    >
    > Hi Russ,
    >
    > Just sent out the Log via PM.
    >
    > Steps to reproduce: (XP SP2, German)
    > 1. Open Printers and Fax panel, click install Fax.
    > 2. Wizard complains about missing files (default location is
    > windows\servicepackfiles).
    > 3. I point the find file dialog to my windows cd (e:\i386)
    > 4. Tells me: Exisiting file is newer than CD version. I click keep current
    > version
    > Wizard ends.
    > Repeat steps 1-4 for ~ 15 fax related dlls
    > Files I couldnt locate on cd or hd, i skipped.
    >
    > 5. Wizard runs to 100%, ends
    > 6. Printer panel shows: install local fax printer. Clicking doesnt do
    > anything
    >
    > When I go over Control Panel -> Software -> Windows Components, same
    > thing, Wizard runs to 100%, in the background a fax icon appears and
    > disappears in the printer panel.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Tim

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

    > Wait a minute. Your installation files won't be on the CD if you've applied
    > a Service Pack.
    > If you have applied a service pack, these files may have been moved to a
    > different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    > routine to that folder.

    setup tried there first (default path in find file dialog) but didnt
    accept the files in that folder.

    Anyway, how do I clean all this mess out and start over?

    Thx,
    Tim

    What was the error message?
    Have you applied more than one Service Pack?
    If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?

    --
    > Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    >
    >> Wait a minute. Your installation files won't be on the CD if you've
    >> applied a Service Pack.
    >> If you have applied a service pack, these files may have been moved to a
    >> different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the
    >> routine to that folder.
    >
    > setup tried there first (default path in find file dialog) but didnt
    > accept the files in that folder.
    >
    > Anyway, how do I clean all this mess out and start over?
    >
    > Thx,
    > Tim

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
    > What was the error message?

    No error message - the find file dialog had the path to the
    ServicePackFiles already filled in, but clicking OK didnt do anything.

    > Have you applied more than one Service Pack?

    No

    > If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?

    windows\system32\fxsapi.dll - 5.2.2600.2180 - (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\fxsapi.dll - 5.2.2600.2180 -
    (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

    fxcfgwz.dll - not found.

    Thx,
    ToC
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Tim O'Connor wrote:

    >> If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?
    >
    > fxcfgwz.dll - not found.

    PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Odd.
    I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unravel it.
    --
    > Tim O'Connor wrote:
    >
    >>> If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?
    >>
    >> fxcfgwz.dll - not found.
    >
    > PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
    > ']Odd.
    > I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unravel
    > it.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Tim O'Connor" muellkontrolle@hotmail.com wrote in message
    > Tim O'Connor wrote:
    > --
    > If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-
    >
    > fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-
    >
    > PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.-

    Hi,
    If I can add some detail.
    I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
    This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have encountered exactly the same problem two days ago and reported it to
    Microsoft Product Support Services. Awaiting reply which I will post here.

    John

    "Ron Barnett" <Ron.Barnett.1fdlgy@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > 'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
    >> ']Odd.
    >> I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unravel
    >> it.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Tim O'Connor" muellkontrolle@hotmail.com wrote in message
    >> Tim O'Connor wrote:
    >> --
    >> If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-
    >>
    >> fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-
    >>
    >> PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.-
    >
    > Hi,
    > If I can add some detail.
    > I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
    > This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I've experienced the same behaviour you all have described while i was trying
    to install/enable the fax service. I have windows xp pro with SP2
    pre-installed. Anyone got any idea what's going on?

    "John Louis" wrote:

    > I have encountered exactly the same problem two days ago and reported it to
    > Microsoft Product Support Services. Awaiting reply which I will post here.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Ron Barnett" <Ron.Barnett.1fdlgy@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:
    > >> ']Odd.
    > >> I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unravel
    > >> it.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "Tim O'Connor" muellkontrolle@hotmail.com wrote in message
    > >> Tim O'Connor wrote:
    > >> --
    > >> If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-
    > >>
    > >> fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-
    > >>
    > >> PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.-
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > > If I can add some detail.
    > > I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
    > > This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    John Louis Wrote:
    > I have encountered exactly the same problem two days ago and reported it
    > Microsoft Product Support Services. Awaiting reply which I will post
    > here.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Ron Barnett" Ron.Barnett.1fdlgy@pcbanter.net wrote in message
    >
    > 'Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook Wrote:-
    > ']Odd.
    > I've forwarded this on to the developers to see if they can unravel
    > it.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Tim O'Connor" muellkontrolle@hotmail.com wrote in message
    > Tim O'Connor wrote:
    > --
    > If you do a search for fxsapi.dll and fxcfgwz.dll, what turns up?-
    >
    > fxcfgwz.dll - not found.-
    >
    > PS: fxcfgwz.* - not found either.--
    >
    > Hi,
    > If I can add some detail.
    > I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
    > This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed-

    I have the same problem. Some friends of mine have too. Seems to be a
    general bug.

    --
    Enrico
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    "Tim O'Connor" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > him, some I had to skip.
    >
    > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff like:
    >
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > (fax)
    >
    > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    >
    > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > to fax is gone again...
    > How do I fix that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tim

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    "Tim O'Connor" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > him, some I had to skip.
    >
    > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff like:
    >
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > (fax)
    >
    > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    >
    > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > to fax is gone again...
    > How do I fix that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tim

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Same issues here and unresolved even afgter 4+ hours with hp support!! Have
    new hp Pavilion dv1040us laptop with xp home sp2 preinstalled. !!!! Help!

    "Jimmy" wrote:

    > I've experienced the same behaviour you all have described while i was trying
    > to install/enable the fax service. I have windows xp pro with SP2
    > pre-installed. Anyone got any idea what's going on?
    >
    > "John Louis" wrote:
    >
    > > I have encountered exactly the same problem two days ago and reported it to
    > > Microsoft Product Support Services. Awaiting reply which I will post here.
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > > "Ron Barnett" <Ron.Barnett.1fdlgy@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > > > Hi,
    > > > If I can add some detail.
    > > > I too have had this problem - as yet unsolved.
    > > > This is on a brand new Toshiba A60 laptop with SP2 pre installed

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Not that this will be any consolation, but I have the same problem. Have been
    corresponding with tech support for a week with no resolution.

    Has anyone tried uninstalling SP2? I know the option exists in Add/Remove
    Programs, but who knows what this might leave behind.

    "Tim O'Connor" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > him, some I had to skip.
    >
    > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff like:
    >
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > (fax)
    >
    > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    >
    > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > to fax is gone again...
    > How do I fix that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tim

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Have been battling with this problem for some time now and have also been
    corresponding with Microsoft Tech Support who does not have a ready answer.

    Yesterday I uninstalled SP2 in Safe Mode and did a REPAIR installation of
    Windows XP SP1, BUT IT DID NOT CURE THE FAX PROBLEM !!!

    Have not yet installed SP2 again.

    Will keep you posted.

    John

    "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Not that this will be any consolation, but I have the same problem. Have
    been
    > corresponding with tech support for a week with no resolution.
    >
    > Has anyone tried uninstalling SP2? I know the option exists in Add/Remove
    > Programs, but who knows what this might leave behind.
    >
    > "Tim O'Connor" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > > him, some I had to skip.
    > >
    > > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff
    like:

    > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > > rc = 0x4b8
    > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > > (fax)
    > >
    > > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    > >
    > > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > > to fax is gone again...
    > > How do I fix that?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Tim

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi,
    I installed the SP2 yesterday and Windows fax failed to work afterwards.
    Can't find Microsoft Fax Driver. I too uninstalled SP2 last night but still
    no luck. Looks like SP2 relocates the driver and the system can't find it.

    KC

    "John Louis" wrote:

    > Have been battling with this problem for some time now and have also been
    > corresponding with Microsoft Tech Support who does not have a ready answer.
    >
    > Yesterday I uninstalled SP2 in Safe Mode and did a REPAIR installation of
    > Windows XP SP1, BUT IT DID NOT CURE THE FAX PROBLEM !!!
    >
    > Have not yet installed SP2 again.
    >
    > Will keep you posted.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Not that this will be any consolation, but I have the same problem. Have
    > been
    > > corresponding with tech support for a week with no resolution.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried uninstalling SP2? I know the option exists in Add/Remove
    > > Programs, but who knows what this might leave behind.
    > >
    > > "Tim O'Connor" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > > > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > > > him, some I had to skip.
    > > >
    > > > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > > > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff
    > like:
    > > >
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > > > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > > > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > > > rc = 0x4b8
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > > > (fax)
    > > >
    > > > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    > > >
    > > > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > > > to fax is gone again...
    > > > How do I fix that?
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Tim

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have exactly the same problem with my hp dv1049cl (new) with sp2. If I try
    to install fax services from the "add windows components" applet, the fax
    icon appears during the install process, then disappears. Afterwards, the
    checkmark that I put in the install components menu to install fax services
    has been cleared, and all that seems to be left behind is the log messages
    you detailed. The "set up faxing" task in the printers and faxes window
    fails too. It asks for the dl_ files but despite the fact that I point to
    them in I386 where they do exist, the install routine can't open them. Would
    love to see a fix for this.

    "Tim O'Connor" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > him, some I had to skip.
    >
    > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff like:
    >
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > rc = 0x4b8
    > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > (fax)
    >
    > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    >
    > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > to fax is gone again...
    > How do I fix that?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tim

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi guys,

    I have the similar problem and after a few hours figuring out (No one
    on the Internet has the solution), I finally solved it. First, I
    realised that the Fax service was no longer installed but all the files
    are indeed in the windows\system32 directory. So I proceed with another
    laptop with the fax service installed and exported out the registry
    entry for the fax service. See below. Copy and paste into some text
    editor. save as *.reg and register it into your registry. Reboot and
    your fax service should be running. Next, just go into Windows
    component setup and tick the fax services. Let Windows install the
    files. Just cancel when it requests for directory of files and proceed
    with the installation without that file. Do the same for every file. Do
    it a couple of times. I did it 3 times and it aborted when some files
    are not copied. Repeat it until it says fax services completely set up.
    Reboot and fax should be running. If files missing prompt comes out
    during the load of the fax console, just copy it off and computer that
    has it. I think the servicepackfiles directory should have it too. Hope
    this helps !

    ------------------8<------------

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax]
    "Type"=dword:00000010
    "Start"=dword:00000002
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "ImagePath"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

    74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,66,\
    00,78,00,73,00,73,00,76,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,00,00
    "DisplayName"="Fax"
    "DependOnService"=hex(7):54,00,61,00,70,00,69,00,53,00,72,00,76,00,00,00,52,00,\

    70,00,63,00,53,00,73,00,00,00,50,00,6c,00,75,00,67,00,50,00,6c,00,61,00,79,\
    00,00,00,53,00,70,00,6f,00,6f,00,6c,00,65,00,72,00,00,00,00,00
    "DependOnGroup"=hex(7):00,00
    "ObjectName"="LocalSystem"
    "Description"="Enables you to send and receive faxes, utilizing fax
    resources available on this computer or on the network."

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Performance]
    "Open"="OpenFaxPerformanceData"
    "Close"="CloseFaxPerformanceData"
    "Collect"="CollectFaxPerformanceData"
    "Library"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

    74,00,25,00,5c,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,\

    00,5c,00,66,00,78,00,73,00,70,00,65,00,72,00,66,00,2e,00,64,00,6c,00,6c,00,\
    00,00
    "Last Counter"=dword:00000946
    "Last Help"=dword:00000947
    "First Counter"=dword:00000928
    "First Help"=dword:00000929
    "Object List"="2344"
    "WbemAdapFileSignature"=hex:f5,c6,b6,2d,68,fe,d6,f9,d0,6f,72,cf,53,3e,c1,3f
    "WbemAdapFileTime"=hex:c0,17,ba,05,52,f1,c3,01
    "WbemAdapFileSize"=dword:00002200
    "WbemAdapStatus"=dword:00000000

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Security]
    "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,a4,00,00,00,b0,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\

    00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\

    00,00,02,00,74,00,05,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,14,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\

    01,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,\

    00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,00,\

    00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,fd,01,\

    02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Enum]
    "0"="Root\\LEGACY_FAX\\0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

    -------------8<---------------------------
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Interesting.
    Could you tell us what problem you were having in the first place and what
    steps lead up to it?
    Not sure I'd recommend exporting registry settings from one system to
    another to the masses. I'd sure make careful registry backups first. Glad
    it worked for you.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "mercuxio" <evolution-x@earthling.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > "WbemAdapFileTime"=hex:c0,17,ba,05,52,f1,c3,01
    > "WbemAdapFileSize"=dword:00002200
    > "WbemAdapStatus"=dword:00000000
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Security]
    > "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,a4,00,00,00,b0,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\
    >
    > 00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\
    >
    > 00,00,02,00,74,00,05,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,14,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    >
    > 01,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,\
    >
    > 00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,00,\
    >
    > 00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,fd,01,\
    >
    > 02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    > 05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Enum]

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Russ,

    My description of this problem appears in a previous message (12/6/04) in
    this thread. Those registry changes mercuxio suggests do look drastic, but
    MANY people are having the same and similar problem, and no one seems to have
    a solution. It appears that the problem is due to SP2. The symptoms are
    that fax services wizard cannot successfully install fax services. (See my
    capabilities. How could Microsoft a) not know about this, and b) not rush to
    fix it?

    Keithman

> [...]

    > > "WbemAdapFileTime"=hex:c0,17,ba,05,52,f1,c3,01
    > > "WbemAdapFileSize"=dword:00002200
    > > "WbemAdapStatus"=dword:00000000
    > >
    > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Security]
    > > "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,a4,00,00,00,b0,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\
    > >
    > > 00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\
    > >
    > > 00,00,02,00,74,00,05,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,14,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    > >
    > > 01,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,\
    > >
    > > 00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,00,\
    > >
    > > 00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,fd,01,\
    > >
    > > 02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    > > 05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00
    > >
    > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Enum]

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Good questions all.
    What would be helpful to know is the precise steps that produced the problem
    in each case. Each case differs, so that is not reported consistently.
    Reports need to include:
    1. Whether these are first time installs with HCL supported modems or
    reinstalls
    2. If the latter, was fax first installed before SP2 or after.
    3. Precise steps used in the installation along with prompts, outcomes and
    error messages.

    Comments like "fax was no longer installed" are unclear and suggest there is
    a lot more to the story than has been revealed. Microsoft has not been able
    to reproduce this in house last I heard, so the more precise steps to repro
    the better the chances for a fix.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "keithman" <keithman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > "WbemAdapFileTime"=hex:c0,17,ba,05,52,f1,c3,01
    >> > "WbemAdapFileSize"=dword:00002200
    >> > "WbemAdapStatus"=dword:00000000
    >> >
    >> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Security]
    >> > "Security"=hex:01,00,14,80,a4,00,00,00,b0,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\
    >> >
    >> > 00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\
    >> >
    >> > 00,00,02,00,74,00,05,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,14,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    >> >
    >> > 01,00,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,\
    >> >
    >> > 00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,20,02,00,00,00,\
    >> >
    >> > 00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,fd,01,\
    >> >
    >> > 02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
    >> > 05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00
    >> >
    >> > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Fax\Enum]

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Hi All

    I'm having the same problem.
    Here is my report:

    1. Originally HP Pavilion zv52240us with Windows XP Home SP1 pre-installed.
    2. I installed fax services with the wizard (Add/remove windows components).
    Everything was ok. I could send and receives faxes with no problem.
    3. Windows update automatically installed SP2.
    4. Next time I used fax console it stated it couldn't find any fax printer
    and crashed.
    5. Using again the "add/remove windows components" I uncheked the fax
    services to uninstall them.
    6. Then I re-install them (wizard again). No problems, no missing files
    messages, no asking for location. Last message says it was a succesfull
    installation, but actually there's nothing installed. Fax services again are
    uncheked at the "add/remove windows components". There is not a registry key
    for the fax at the registry nor a printer fax at the printers panel.
    Start>Programs>Accesories>Communications>Fax>(Empty).

    Looking at the log file of the installation it states near the end that it
    "failed to start fax service, rc=0x426" and "Failed to install fax service.
    This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x426", after that it
    perfoms rollback and unistalls everything but I never get any error message
    during installation.

    I can send the complete log file if needed.

    I've also already tried the solution given by "mercuxio". The fax registry
    goes ok, but when I use the wizard again it goes exactly the same way and at
    the end the new fax registry is erased automatically. By the way, after
    adding the fax registry key and rebooting, the fax service is stopped. If I
    try to start it I get I message that the service started and then stopped
    again automatically.

    I've also tried uninstalling the SP2. After uninstalling it, I used the
    wizard and again got the exact same result. I updated again to SP2.

    llorchthx
    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Good questions all.
    > What would be helpful to know is the precise steps that produced the problem
    > in each case. Each case differs, so that is not reported consistently.
    > Reports need to include:
    > 1. Whether these are first time installs with HCL supported modems or
    > reinstalls
    > 2. If the latter, was fax first installed before SP2 or after.
    > 3. Precise steps used in the installation along with prompts, outcomes and
    > error messages.
    >
    > Comments like "fax was no longer installed" are unclear and suggest there is
    > a lot more to the story than has been revealed. Microsoft has not been able
    > to reproduce this in house last I heard, so the more precise steps to repro
    > the better the chances for a fix.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "keithman" <keithman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Russ,
    > >
    > > My description of this problem appears in a previous message (12/6/04) in
    > > this thread. Those registry changes mercuxio suggests do look drastic,
    > > but
    > > MANY people are having the same and similar problem, and no one seems to
    > > have
    > > a solution. It appears that the problem is due to SP2. The symptoms are
    > > that fax services wizard cannot successfully install fax services. (See my
    > > capabilities. How could Microsoft a) not know about this, and b) not rush
    > > fix it?
    > >
    > > Keithman
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Interesting.
    > >> Could you tell us what problem you were having in the first place and
    > >> what
    > >> steps lead up to it?
    > >> Not sure I'd recommend exporting registry settings from one system to
    > >> another to the masses. I'd sure make careful registry backups first.
    > >> Glad
    > >> it worked for you.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "mercuxio" <evolution-x@earthling.net> wrote in message

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Good information.
    On point 4, what steps did you use and at what point did you get the error
    message? What was the nature of the "crash" and did anything appear in Event
    Viewer?
    Send me the faxsetup.log from your subsequent steps to reinstall. I'll get
    it to the developers.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "llorchthx" <llorchthx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "keithman" <keithman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Russ,
    >> >
    >> > My description of this problem appears in a previous message (12/6/04)
    >> > in
    >> > this thread. Those registry changes mercuxio suggests do look drastic,
    >> > but
    >> > MANY people are having the same and similar problem, and no one seems
    >> > have
    >> > a solution. It appears that the problem is due to SP2. The symptoms
    >> > are
    >> > that fax services wizard cannot successfully install fax services. (See
    >> > my
    >> > fax
    >> > capabilities. How could Microsoft a) not know about this, and b) not

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Any luck? Please post solution.

    "John Louis" wrote:

    > Have been battling with this problem for some time now and have also been
    > corresponding with Microsoft Tech Support who does not have a ready answer.
    >
    > Yesterday I uninstalled SP2 in Safe Mode and did a REPAIR installation of
    > Windows XP SP1, BUT IT DID NOT CURE THE FAX PROBLEM !!!
    >
    > Have not yet installed SP2 again.
    >
    > Will keep you posted.
    >
    > John
    >

    > "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Not that this will be any consolation, but I have the same problem. Have
    > been
    > > corresponding with tech support for a week with no resolution.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried uninstalling SP2? I know the option exists in Add/Remove
    > > Programs, but who knows what this might leave behind.
    > >
    > > "Tim O'Connor" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > just tried to install fax services - Wizard complained about missing
    > > > files - I read about that here - and I managed to feed most of them to
    > > > him, some I had to skip.
    > > >
    > > > Now, the wizard runs to 100%, in the printers and fax-panel a fax
    > > > printer appears and disappears, and the fax-install-log gives me stuff
    > like:
    > > >
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install the
    > > > services section in section 'Fax.CleanInstall', rc = 0x4b8
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] } (1208)
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Failed to install fax
    > > > service. This is a fatal error, abandoning fax install...rc=0x4b8
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ERR] Complete Fax Install failed,
    > > > rc = 0x4b8
    > > > [11/02/04 15:03:54] [0x0564] [ ] fxocUtil_GetUninstallSection
    > > > (fax)
    > > >
    > > > If you need the complete log, pls PM me.
    > > >
    > > > Also tried the software panel. After running wizard, the ticked box next
    > > > to fax is gone again...
    > > > How do I fix that?
    > > >
    > > > Regards,
    > > > Tim

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Henry wrote:
    > Hi, Dick.
    >
    > Thanks for your note. With it, I have be able to install several
    > services on 2 Toshiba PS-30 and 2 Toshiba A-70, not only Fax services
    > but also Peer-to-Peer services on LAN and over the Internet.
    >
    > Besides, The MS article 884018 dated from December 23, 2004, is also
    > very helpful. It said to ask first for a free hotfix from Microsoft,
    > and it explains some security risks related to the use of the
    > esentutl tool.

    Know about it. Problem was fixed when I reinstalled XP after a hard disk
    failure. Have seen the MS article that you quoted. Used other PC's to fax
    until I rebuilt Windows. Won't ever make use of an MS service that requires
    a credit card number for a free service. This is wrong. And unnecessary.

    Dick

Fax Windows XP