desktop faxing / voicemail

got a standalone pc at home with dsl. what is a good product that would
be able to replace my fax machine and answering machine? i'd prefer to
do it all through the computer and eliminate the second line.

thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about desktop faxing voicemail

    Sending a fax when you have DSL requires one of two methods:

    1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the line
    through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does your
    local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:

    http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

    "In Disguise" <in@disguise.com> wrote in message
    > got a standalone pc at home with dsl. what is a good product that would
    > be able to replace my fax machine and answering machine? i'd prefer to do
    > it all through the computer and eliminate the second line.
    >
    > thanks!

    Hal,

    Let's get past the presumption that I'm totally stupid for a moment. I
    don't want internet faxing - I want to fax to and from my PC as I
    stated. When you say "DSL line filter, do I assume that you mean the
    micro-filters that come with my DSL modem/router? If so, I have plenty
    of those.

    Winfax Pro can fax, but not sure if it can handle the answering machine
    piece. I tried calling in several times, but got an Indian Call Center
    that didn't understand what an answering machine is! (So frustrated!!!)

    I never asked how I could fax from the internet, so I'm not sure where
    you got that. Here's what I asked:

    "got a standalone pc at home with dsl. what is a good product that
    would be able to replace my fax machine and answering machine? i'd
    prefer to do it all through the computer and eliminate the second line."

    Where does the word "internet" come from? How did you extrapolate
    "faxing from the internet" from this? I ask because if I made it
    unclear, I'd like to know how I can make it more clear.

    Hal Hostetler [MVP-DTS] wrote:
    > Sending a fax when you have DSL requires one of two methods:
    >
    > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the line
    > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does your
    > local Radio Shack store:
    >
    > http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)
    >
    > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    >
    > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    >
    > Hal

    To my knowledge, there is no such product. If you intend to use the DSL
    line, ANY and ALL third party software will need to use a suitable analog
    Fax/Data/Voice modem connected through a line filter like the one I linked
    from Radio Shack. Without these filters, analog telephone equipment will
    not work with a DSL enabled phone line and you will have to retain your
    second line. You will require third party software because, as you know,
    Windows XP Fax offers no answering machine functionality at all.

    Internet Fax entered the picture because it's the only other Fax methodology
    available for use with a DSL or Cable line. MANY people get the impression
    that, because the connection devices for these lines are called "modems",
    they can be used to send Faxes and can replace or eliminate the need for a
    Fax modem combined with a normal telephone line. As such, a VERY COMMON
    question is "How do I send Faxes with my DSL or Cable Modem?"; one CANNOT
    send a Fax with either of these "modems", so I routinely add information
    about Internet Faxing whenever I see "DSL" or "Cable modem" and "Fax" in the
    same post. If you look through this newsgroup a bit, you'll be amazed how
    often this question is asked. Forgive me, I meant no insult to your
    intelligence.

    Hal
    --

    > Hal,
    >
    > Let's get past the presumption that I'm totally stupid for a moment. I
    > don't want internet faxing - I want to fax to and from my PC as I
    > stated. When you say "DSL line filter, do I assume that you mean the
    > micro-filters that come with my DSL modem/router? If so, I have plenty
    > of those.
    >
    > Winfax Pro can fax, but not sure if it can handle the answering machine
    > piece. I tried calling in several times, but got an Indian Call Center
    > that didn't understand what an answering machine is! (So frustrated!!!)
    >
    > I never asked how I could fax from the internet, so I'm not sure where
    > you got that. Here's what I asked:
    >
    > "got a standalone pc at home with dsl. what is a good product that
    > would be able to replace my fax machine and answering machine? i'd
    > prefer to do it all through the computer and eliminate the second line."
    >
    > Where does the word "internet" come from? How did you extrapolate
    > "faxing from the internet" from this? I ask because if I made it
    > unclear, I'd like to know how I can make it more clear.
    >

    > Hal Hostetler [MVP-DTS] wrote:
    > > Sending a fax when you have DSL requires one of two methods:
    > >
    > > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > > telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the
    line
    > > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does
    your
    > > local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    > > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    > >
    > > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    > >
    > > Hal

    In line...

    > Hal,
    >
    > Let's get past the presumption that I'm totally stupid for a moment. I
    > don't want internet faxing - I want to fax to and from my PC as I
    > stated. When you say "DSL line filter, do I assume that you mean the
    > micro-filters that come with my DSL modem/router? If so, I have plenty
    > of those.

    Hal provided a link to *exactly* what he was referring to. If you're not
    totally stupid you must be partially stupid and too lazy to follow the link.

    > Winfax Pro can fax, but not sure if it can handle the answering machine
    > piece. I tried calling in several times, but got an Indian Call Center
    > that didn't understand what an answering machine is! (So frustrated!!!)

    You tried "calling in" *where* several times??? If you have WinFax, then
    you should also have its documentation, or at least its help files, so how
    is it, if you're not totally stupid, that you don't know what it can and
    can't do?

    > I never asked how I could fax from the internet, so I'm not sure where
    > you got that. Here's what I asked:

    I think Hal was aware of what you had asked, as I know for certain that Hal
    isn't "totally stupid." So shoot the guy for trying to be helpful and
    anticipate a frequently-asked question, a fact you would have ascertained if
    you had searched the group before asking your question.

    > "got a standalone pc at home with dsl. what is a good product that
    > would be able to replace my fax machine and answering machine? i'd
    > prefer to do it all through the computer and eliminate the second line."

    There are so-called "voice and fax" modems that will do what you want,
    assuming you have the proper filter in place. In fact, it's possible that
    *your* modem is one of these. If you are clueless as to the capabilities of
    Winfax there's no reason to assume you know anything about your modem. Use
    Google.

    > Where does the word "internet" come from? How did you extrapolate
    > "faxing from the internet" from this? I ask because if I made it
    > unclear, I'd like to know how I can make it more clear.

    > Hal Hostetler [MVP-DTS] wrote:
    > > Sending a fax when you have DSL requires one of two methods:
    > >
    > > 1. You obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard voice
    > > telephone to the DSL line, then connect your analog fax modem to the
    line
    > > through the line filter. Your DSL provider has these filters, as does
    your
    > > local Radio Shack store:

    http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=C
    TLG%5F004%5F004%5F002%5F000&Page=1&find=dsl%20filter(keyword)

    > > 2. You hire an Internet E-faxing service:
    > >
    > > http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/fax.htm#internetfax
    > > Personal Fax Services - Internet Fax
    > > http://www.savetz.com/fax/
    > > FAQ: How can I send a fax from the Internet?
    > >
    > > Hal

Fax Desktops Microsoft Windows XP