Building a New PC need a few Pointer's

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Hello All, welcomed to be aboard this excellent site.
I am Building an AMD Anthlon XP PC.
Anthlon XP 2000+ CPU
Soyo Dragon + MOBO
Sunon Case Fan
Fortron 350 Watt Power Supply
1 GB Crucial DDR PC2100 MB
TDK VeloCD Cd Burner
Maxtor 80 GB 7200 Hard Drive
Waiting for Geforce 4 Video Card to come out.

I need help on picking out a Good CPU fan for a Anthlon XP 2000+ CPU...

If there are any other parts that you would change to help make my system better Give me your response Thank You.

AMD USER!!!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Use the Alpha PAL 8045 with the Delta fan.

See <A HREF="http://www.micforg.co.jp/c_pal8045e.html" target="_new">here</A>.

<b>"I'll have a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich." - Fletch</b> :lol:

svol

Champion
And I use the PAL6035 with Delta HP 7000 rpm fan, but that fan makes a lot of noise. Swiftech also makes very good heatsinks.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The Volcano 7+ is alot quieter than any delta fan.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
cakII38..All copper.Not solderd.The best Heat sink fan i have ever tried.The noise is not as bad as as people say a delta fan is.Ive always used GlobalWin,And wont turn back!!!!!

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
you might want to add a few case fans.

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>

"Never mistake motion for action. "
- Ernest Hemingway

G

Definatly! Intake fans and exhaust fans are always good. If your case doesnt have a spot for an exhaust fan, PC Power and Cooling makes a fan that attatches to the back of you powersuply to pull more air through the power supply.
http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Case cooling is a factor..But if you dont have them placed right,you get dead spots...Side coolers are crap.They dont complete the circuit...Bottom front in , out the back top,or the opposit.If you dont have a high end Powersupply,out the top...Go with a full tower its what i have ..most high end users have them.The sky is the limit for cooling...Unless you want to add water in your systom and get a leak...well you know what would happen....

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Side coolers are not crap if you use them in conjuction with the total
system flow and can adjust all fans for proper air movement.

º :smile: º <font color=blue>You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Not....Up and out in a straight line is the best..or the oppsosit..Say you have 2 fans in a box..1 in 1 out..Put a fan,or2 in the middle..say 1 in 1 out.Whats it going to do? screw it up...Turbulence...Its like a aircraft in a jet wash. I know a few people who have used side fans.They did not work.Alls you need is a good cpu fan,and good straight in and out and your fine...the best way to go...Now beat me up!!!!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I am not going to beat you up. In "my" case Lian Li PC-68. I have 2 adjustable 80mm lower front intakes,
1 adjustable side 120mm , 2-80mm adjustable exhaust and a dual-fan Enermax 550w. I installed 5 temp probes
and worked for several weeks to get the air flow best with little dead spots. In "my" case, the side
fan lowered temps about 2ºc overall. The 2 hard drives sit just behind the two front intakes, which keeps
them at 25ºc and the side fan helped to bring the system temps down to compensate for the added heat of the
two 7200rpm drives. I promise every case will be different.

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for.... All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

G

are you using the 3 80mm fans that come with the case still or did u replace them? and for your extra exhaust fan that you have, where did u decide to place it and what fans did u go with?..thanx. im tryin to get an idea of what kind of setup i wanna go with =)

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well that is true..From puting my own Pcs togehter,Ive learnd that a full tower is the best way to go.Ive found that 2 120mm fans like i said,Keep my temps at around 34c.The highest ive been at was 50c.Which is pretty good for a Thunderbird 1.2 @ 1.4 with a cakII38...Im gone:)

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
The 2-front 80mm (Adda) are stock with 3-postion switch.
I removed the stock 80mm back fan, then cut a round hole to help air flow
and cut another hole directly beneath it. I then added 2-80mm adjustable
Enermax fans.
On the side, I added a 120mm adjustable Enermax directly over the AGP
slot.
I have an Enermax EG651P-VE PSU with a standard 92mm intake and 80mm exhaust.
The system temps run on the average of 5ºc above ambient.
The CPU temp runs on the average 10ºc above system temp, idle or load.
ASUS A7V266-E, XP1800+ unlocked at 12.5x135, Swiftech MCX-462 with rheostat
controlled Delta. Nvidia Gforce 3ti 500.

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for.... All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:

G

Air Inflow through filtered fans into the case should be more than outflow (exhaust) fan rates.Thats so excess inflow air blows out through case seams and spaces between drives.If exhaust outflow fan rates exceed airflow rates of fans blowing into the case, they will suck (so to speak) dusty unfiltered air in through non- filtered cracks in the case. That dust will buildup all inside the case messing up internal cooling. Also, it would be better to have fans in front of hard drives drawing the warm drive air out the front of the case, instead of blowing the warm air into the case. Adventurous case modifiers can construct an air plenum ( tube ) that leads from the side or back of the case to the back of the hard drive so that the drive has cooler outside air drawn over it on its way out the front of the case, for those of you who would say that the drives would otherwise have warm internal case air blowing over them. A same kind of air plenum or channel using pvc can lead outside filtered air to the area over the cpu fan so that cooler external air can be used to dissipate heat from the cpu heatsink.