OC'ing from 1.0 Ghz to ??? Athlon T-bird

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Alright, so I have a good old Athlon Thunderbird 1.0 Ghz, 133Mhz FSB with DDR support. I want to overclock, but I have a small problem. I don't have a very powerful heatsink.

I am first of all thinking of using silver laquer to cross the L1 bridges instead of pencil graphite. If I overclock it, I don't want the graphite to wear out. Next, I only have a stock cooler that came boxed with the CPU. Right now, i'm running about a steady 110 degrees farenheit. I'm curoius as to how far I can overclock it without overheating it. I don't want to mess around with increasing the FSB, so i'm leaving that with a base of 133. I'm thinking that the maximum I can get without upgrading my cooler would probably be in the area of 9*133 for a Mhz of 1200. Right now, i'm at 7.5*133 for a Mhz of 1000. Any suggestions for Oc'ing?

"Heh, I laugh when I see someone buying a Celeron 1300 over an Athlon Thunderbird 1000."

uraniborg

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
You probably wont' see much of a temp increase until you pump up the Vcore. you should make sure that your motherboard can up the Vcore in small increments.

i oc'd my Tbird 1200 to 1400 just with the muliplier and only saw about 5 deg increase, but i left the Vcore alone. actuall, whenever i set the Vcore to anything except AUTO, it resets the BIOS... kinda a pain.

i'd suggest getting a better heat sink. for your case, a top of the line one probably isn't needed. I use the Thermaltake Volcano II, lapped with ASII.

<b>uraniborg
<font color=purple>"Brilliant thinkers have often met violent opposition from mediocre minds."

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if you plan on overclocking, a powerful HSF is a must, you must spend some $ to get a good one. you havent mentioned what board you have, that plays a big part in oc too.

anyway, with a good cooler, you can head for 133 MHz FSB first which will get you 1.33 GHz speed which might need a little voltage tweak. Good thing is that you might not need to mess up with the L1 bridges and void your three year warranty that came with the processor!

if you are comfortable with blowing up the warranty (which I wouldnt be until I get the thing working at fastest FSB till the only thing remains is changing the multiplier, increasing or decreasing it) then you can work the processor straight to 1000/133 without any proble, and then start experimenting with 66 MHz oc with 0.5 multiplier increments.

Actually, temperature increse is a side-effect of two things, faster running of the processor itself and increasing the voltage to enable the processor top run faster. The processor is fabricated with advanced decendent of MOS technology which consumes more power as they run faster. You increase the core voltage to supply this additional power and this in turn contributes to power consumption and thus dissipation of heat from the processor.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I don't want to mess around with increasing the FSB
Seems an odd way to overclock but anyway, I had a 1 gig going happily at 1400, it DID need better cooling though, also had to bump up the volatage, details <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">here</A>

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Ok, after hearing all of these suggestions, I think i'm gonna cross the L1 bridges to unlock the multiplier, then i'm gonna increase the multiplier to 9.5 and leave the FSB at 133. I'm hoping that I don't need a better cooler for only 1200. I guess if it's a problem, i'll upgrade it, but I don't want to spend more than $25 or so. The only question remains, whether I should use pencial graphite or silver laquer. I want this to be durable, and I would hate for the graphite to rub off when i'm using it. Any suggestions anyone?

"When there's a will, there's a way."

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I often read about graphite "wearing off", when I unlocked mine I did it with a pencil initially and once I had it working I erased the graphite and used conductive paint (the kind used to repair rear window demisters in cars).

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1200 is a piece of cake unless you have one of the earliest 200mhz Athlons. If 110 degrees (43 C) was your max and not idle you shouldn't have any problems.

If you need a good and cheap cooler take a look at <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/248.htm?463" target="_new">this one</A>. It's called Galaxy GC21, not well known but it's the same heatsink as a Thermaltake Volcano 5 (different fan). I found it could keep my Tbird 1.0 (266mhz) at 44 degrees at idle with a peak of about 52 degrees, 1.97 volts core, running Toast Burn-in and about 48 degrees running Seti@home. The GC21 is definitely good enough for a Tbird at 1200mhz and it only costs $4.50 at www.nexfan.com (a great site I might add). It's a bargain if your CPU has room for it. It has the standard width of about 62 mm but is a longish 80 mm so check your motherboard. Rememember clip to clip it's 62 mm. The other direction needs 80 mm of clearance. The GC21 doesn't need any sanding and does have a very nice 6-tab clip.

I later substituted a Delta fan which lowered temperatures by 4 degrees and I also run at lower 1.33 ghz instead of 1.5 to run cooler still. (I use SoftFSB when I need the extra speed). In this configuration temps range from 37 to 46 max.

If I had a water cooling rig donated to me I would shoot for higher speeds since this Tbird AYHJAR-Y core has POSTed at 1755 mhz but I would not spend the money for that kind cooling. (I wouldn't even spring for an expensive heatsink but that's just me).

<b>We are all beta testers!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/08/02 04:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 2 TB 1000C, 1 on my Asus A7V133 that I overclocked it to 1400MHz (by changing its multiplier only and using old HSF GlobalWin FOP-32, recently chaned to Volcano 6Cu, 4200RPM) at default voltage 1.75V. It has run great since June 2001. Another one is on Abit KG7-RAID at 1333MHz (also w/ multi. only and Volcano 5). Both of them are AXIA stepping.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.