marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay...
my local store is out of stock of Volcano 7 but they do have coolermaster HSF model DP5-6131C ... worth getting (any reviews about)???
RSVP ASAP, I wanna get it today...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

svol

Champion
It is AMD approved according to their site. And it can run: Intel
P III up to 1.2 GHz and higher
Celeron up to 1.2 GHz and higher

AMD
Athlon up to 1.4 Ghz
Athlon XP 1900 and higher
Duron 1.2 GHz and higher

(Also from their website).
If you're not planning to overclock it should do.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
If im planing to over clock an AMD XP 2000+, does this mean it will be a noisey System, will i need to get something better then the Volcano 7

Once you go AMD, You never Go back!!

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If its OCing a XP2000 then U might wanna invest in a water cooler, V quiet but just pray U dont get any leaks...

For the real H.C. OCing, get liquid Nitrogen... mind UR fingers...

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I will B overclocking so I think I will get Volcano 7 or something more expensive if it gets good reviews (for now I will bolt a Delta fan to my Alpha heatsink and see if its too loud...)

svol

Champion
Maybe if you use an 80mm to 60mm fan adapter and then use a 4000rpm 80mm fan you would get a not to loud system. All high power 7000rpm fans make a heck of a noise.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
do U k now any good 80mm fans make/models I could get ??
would the airflow be as good ??

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
V7 is better than coolermaster..........i have both .......i run prime95 for 1 hour on my soltek-sl75drv2 and 1700xp+ room temp about 28c and the vcore is 1.65v (no AS applied only used the one attached on the heatsink) and all i got is 48c....but with the cooler master you can go up to 51 or 52.

but you can check my thread of the new volcano 7+, it seems it is better than volcano 7.......but since you are in a hurry then i think V7 is good at least it does not produce a lot noice but cooler master is more silent.

if you are extreme overclocker then go buy swiftech mcx462...it is the best air cooler choice for overclockers

in general and for air cooling is you get more performance with more noise

wish if there was UnDo in the life

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
if you have a lot of case fans...the volcano 7 is probably not a good idea...
even though it has variable speed control...it uses the system temps rather than the cpu temps to control its fan speed.
so you're case temps could be at 26C and have the cpu fan running at minimal speeds....even though you're cpu at 60C...
id say get the volcano 6....

<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2649487" target="_new">P4 NW + DDR</A> = <font color=blue>Not Bad</font color=blue>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can wait a while yet, I got a reprieve, read as the mobo/processor my current HSF is going will not be in stock until tuesday so I will see what is available then...

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
you might want to look at the thermalright SK-6 (thats what i have on my XP1700) or a swiftech i have read some good reviews on both of them.

ohh yea im running around 37c idle (not overclocked) and 42c under full load (i used Toast to check the load temp)

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>

"Never mistake motion for action. "
- Ernest Hemingway<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cyprus on 02/08/02 07:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
quote: <i>the volcano 7 is probably not a good idea...
even though it has variable speed control...it uses the system temps rather than the cpu temps to control its fan speed.</i>

Where did you get that? The volcano 7 has a temp sensor embedded in the heat sink itself. It doesn't read from the system board. And here's the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/v7.htm" target="_new">proof</A>

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
nope, the sensor is on the side of the fan and it does take the case temperature not the CPU. That's why I cut the sensor off.

<font color=red>Handsome A7V133 looking for long term relationship with a XP CPU. Prefer non smoker.</font color=red> ;)