Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[EQ1}New Vendor/Merchant Window

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 11:21:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Does anyone actually like what they have done with today's
patch? I for one find the new system quite annoying compared
to what it was before. It reminds me of the EQ2 vendor
windows a bit from when I played in beta.

I went to check on new spells, and it shows the name of the
spell, which is nice, and the price, which I really think
isn't needed as you need the spell and price info doesn't
change that fact. What I would have found nice would have
been the spell level appearing beside the spell. Previously,
a quick right click and a glance showed the spell level, but
now that right click opens a window that persists and must
be then closed by another click. I prefer the old way and
found it much quicker.

So far, I see no advantages to the change, so wonder why it
was done.
May 12, 2005 4:53:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com>,
nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net says...
> Does anyone actually like what they have done with today's
> patch?

Yes. Immensely. I'd like them to do the bank the same way.

> I for one find the new system quite annoying compared
> to what it was before.

That's your perogative. Somebody probably still prefers the old 'hard
coded 800x600 UI too. =)

> It reminds me of the EQ2 vendor
> windows a bit from when I played in beta.
>
> I went to check on new spells, and it shows the name of the
> spell, which is nice, and the price, which I really think
> isn't needed as you need the spell and price info doesn't
> change that fact.

You do realize that vendors sell more than just spells right? And for
most of those things all you care about is that you've selected the
right item, and have enough money.

> What I would have found nice would have
> been the spell level appearing beside the spell.

And what about the 99% of items that aren't spells?

> Previously,
> a quick right click and a glance showed the spell level, but
> now that right click opens a window that persists and must
> be then closed by another click. I prefer the old way and
> found it much quicker.

Actually eq only supports a few item windows, after you've got a few up
the new one will replace an old one... so you don't have to keep closing
them except when your done shopping.

But sure I agree I'd like there to be an option to make certain item
windows autoclose.

> So far, I see no advantages to the change, so wonder why it
> was done.

Probably because you have looked at it from the very narrow perspective
of someone who apparently only buys spells, and further who does so
without foreknowledge of what it is he supposed to be buying.

If you already know what spells you need, the name & price are
sufficient, the fact that you can now sort by name further speeds it up
and allows you to shop at a glance instead of having to click on 80
boxes to see whats for sale. (Or combine scrolling and the altkey, while
dealing with popup names that are each offset from the next by an inch.)

It will also dramatically speed up purchasing various tradeskill items
(spell research pages, runes, etc etc) which all have the same icon.
(Particularly the ability to now sort them.)

The new way is much cleaner.

My *only* complaints so far is that it seems to lose your place in the
scroll window when you buy something. I'd also like to see the lines
numbered so i can see if the merchant is using all 80 slots. But those
are pretty minor. Most merchants are never full, and most don't require
me to scroll at all.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 4:53:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 wrote:
> Probably because you have looked at it from the very narrow perspective
> of someone who apparently only buys spells, and further who does so
> without foreknowledge of what it is he supposed to be buying.

That is why I found it annoying. With all the spell level
changes to under 50 spells, and no current up to date spell
lists by their new levels, you have to look at the details
of almost every spell. They also seem to have messed up the
spells on a few vendors. I have seen Druid only spells on a
Ranger spell merchant.

> If you already know what spells you need, the name & price are
> sufficient, the fact that you can now sort by name further speeds it up
> and allows you to shop at a glance instead of having to click on 80
> boxes to see whats for sale. (Or combine scrolling and the altkey, while
> dealing with popup names that are each offset from the next by an inch.)

I would have liked to see the spell level rather than the
prices. If you need a spell, you need the spell. If you
don't have enough plat on your char, you still have to visit
the bank. Showing the prices means little or nothing to me.
If I need something for tradeskilling from a merchant, I buy
it. I couldn't be bothered running around to see if another
merchant has it slightly cheaper. In most cases, weapons on
merchants are so overpriced that I skip over them anyways.
In 5 years I think I have come across about 3 "deals" on
merchant purchased weapons. The scrolling while holding the
alt key presents no difficulties to me. I've never had a
problem identifying which box the popup names apply to.

> It will also dramatically speed up purchasing various tradeskill items
> (spell research pages, runes, etc etc) which all have the same icon.
> (Particularly the ability to now sort them.)

I agree with the sorting, I do like that. But, from a narrow
point of view as you've mentioned, and with an abundance of
casters in my stable, a sort function based on spell levels
would be very nice addition indeed!

> The new way is much cleaner.

I may come to like it in time, and when the various spell
lists get sorted out, as they certainly will, but for now it
is really slowing down that part of the game for me.

> My *only* complaints so far is that it seems to lose your place in the
> scroll window when you buy something. I'd also like to see the lines
> numbered so i can see if the merchant is using all 80 slots. But those
> are pretty minor. Most merchants are never full, and most don't require
> me to scroll at all.
Related resources
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:16:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 wrote:
> In article <bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net says...
>
>>Does anyone actually like what they have done with today's
>>patch?
>
>
> Yes. Immensely. I'd like them to do the bank the same way.

What's different about the merchant window that you would like
to see the bank do?

Tracey
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:31:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

KDragon <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> wrote in
news:bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com:

> Previously, a quick right click and a glance showed the spell level,
> but now that right click opens a window that persists and must
> be then closed by another click. I prefer the old way and
> found it much quicker.
>

ESC closes the last opened window. That makes it a fairly trivial matter.

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 1:07:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

>>which I really think
>>isn't needed as you need the spell and price info doesn't
>>change that fact. What I would have found nice would have
>>been the spell level appearing beside the spell.

>So, let me get this straight... the price info isn't needed, because
>you need the spell... but somehow the level is? If you need the spell,

>then you already know the level required.... but you may not (or
>probably have no idea) how much it costs.

>The fact is, it's different, and that, for some reason, is upsetting
>you.

It does defy belief that anyone would think price is irrelevant when
buying an item.

I'm sure many a real life seller would love to get hold of
him....."Please come into my store and buy this carton of milk for 100
bucks. I'm not going to tell you how much it cost or the fact you can
buy it cheaper next door because that's irrelevant you need the milk
to will therefore pay 100 dollars for it!"
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 6:36:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

KDragon <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> wrote in
news:KcBge.33187$XX1.686458@news20.bellglobal.com:

> 42 wrote:
>> Probably because you have looked at it from the very narrow
>> perspective of someone who apparently only buys spells, and further
>> who does so without foreknowledge of what it is he supposed to be
>> buying.
>
> That is why I found it annoying. With all the spell level
> changes to under 50 spells, and no current up to date spell
> lists by their new levels, you have to look at the details
> of almost every spell. They also seem to have messed up the
> spells on a few vendors. I have seen Druid only spells on a
> Ranger spell merchant.

As I recall, there have always been some spells sold by the wrong vendors,
druid ones in particular come to mind.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:20:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:21:48 -0400 in
<bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com>, KDragon
<nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> graced the world with this thought:

>, which I really think
>isn't needed as you need the spell and price info doesn't
>change that fact. What I would have found nice would have
>been the spell level appearing beside the spell.

So, let me get this straight... the price info isn't needed, because
you need the spell... but somehow the level is? If you need the spell,
then you already know the level required.... but you may not (or
probably have no idea) how much it costs.

The fact is, it's different, and that, for some reason, is upsetting
you.
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 01:31:12 GMT in
<Xns9653D0BF0170DRumbledorhotmailcom@216.148.227.77>, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>KDragon <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> wrote in
>news:bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com:
>
>> Previously, a quick right click and a glance showed the spell level,
>> but now that right click opens a window that persists and must
>> be then closed by another click. I prefer the old way and
>> found it much quicker.
>>
>
>ESC closes the last opened window. That makes it a fairly trivial matter.

....so does moving away from the vendor...
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 7:22:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 00:46:40 -0400 in
<KcBge.33187$XX1.686458@news20.bellglobal.com>, KDragon
<nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> graced the world with this thought:

>That is why I found it annoying. With all the spell level
>changes to under 50 spells, and no current up to date spell
>lists by their new levels, you have to look at the details
>of almost every spell. They also seem to have messed up the
>spells on a few vendors. I have seen Druid only spells on a
>Ranger spell merchant.

I had no problem looking at allakhazam....
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 8:09:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:o uKge.116$DK.10
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On Wed, 11 May 2005 19:21:48 -0400 in
> <bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com>, KDragon
> <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>, which I really think
>>isn't needed as you need the spell and price info doesn't
>>change that fact. What I would have found nice would have
>>been the spell level appearing beside the spell.
>
> So, let me get this straight... the price info isn't needed, because
> you need the spell... but somehow the level is? If you need the spell,
> then you already know the level required.... but you may not (or
> probably have no idea) how much it costs.
>
> The fact is, it's different, and that, for some reason, is upsetting
> you.
>

If I understand it correctly (couldn't verify it myself, as my custom UI's
were all borked from the update) the price is shown in the item listing
without having to right-click on the item. If that's the case, then I agree
that, for spells specifically, level would be much more helpful. When I hit
a new spell level (which will evidently be most every level now), I make
sure I have plenty of plat to buy them and then sift through all the spell
vendors looking for those that are of my level. Listing the level would
make that process much simpler and less time consuming, the listing the
names certainly helps as well.

Of course practically every other item would be better served by listing
the price. I'm ok with the way it is. It *is* an improvement, and it's not
like we've lost any functionality or anything.

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:07:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:VvKge.117$DK.115
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On Thu, 12 May 2005 01:31:12 GMT in
> <Xns9653D0BF0170DRumbledorhotmailcom@216.148.227.77>, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>KDragon <nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net> wrote in
>>news:bswge.31354$XX1.599808@news20.bellglobal.com:
>>
>>> Previously, a quick right click and a glance showed the spell level,
>>> but now that right click opens a window that persists and must be
then
>>> closed by another click. I prefer the old way and found it much
>>> quicker.
>>>
>>
>>ESC closes the last opened window. That makes it a fairly trivial
matter.
>
> ...so does moving away from the vendor...
>

It does not close the item description window, which is what he was
talking about.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
May 12, 2005 9:17:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <Xns965471983BD4ERumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
>
> If I understand it correctly (couldn't verify it myself, as my custom UI's
> were all borked from the update) the price is shown in the item listing
> without having to right-click on the item. If that's the case, then I agree
> that, for spells specifically, level would be much more helpful. When I hit
> a new spell level (which will evidently be most every level now), I make
> sure I have plenty of plat to buy them and then sift through all the spell
> vendors looking for those that are of my level. Listing the level would
> make that process much simpler and less time consuming, the listing the
> names certainly helps as well.

/shrug then you'll be wanting the class listed too... every level has
spells that have to be bought from unusual multi-class vendors (in
FV/Iceclad/Shadowhaven/EchoCaverns/Katta Kastellum/HHK etc...

Everyone I know figures out what they need -first- and where they are
located and then goes and gets them. Its terribly inefficient not to
mention inadequate to wander around PoK clicking and sifting. It would
take forever, and you'd still miss some.
May 12, 2005 9:26:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <KcBge.33187$XX1.686458@news20.bellglobal.com>,
nospam.for.me.please@nospam.net says...
> 42 wrote:
> > Probably because you have looked at it from the very narrow perspective
> > of someone who apparently only buys spells, and further who does so
> > without foreknowledge of what it is he supposed to be buying.
>
> That is why I found it annoying. With all the spell level
> changes to under 50 spells, and no current up to date spell
> lists by their new levels, you have to look at the details
> of almost every spell.

The out of game lists will be updated within a week or two; that appears
to address your real complaint.

> They also seem to have messed up the
> spells on a few vendors. I have seen Druid only spells on a
> Ranger spell merchant.

That has always been like that. I think its on purpose.

> > If you already know what spells you need, the name & price are
> > sufficient, the fact that you can now sort by name further speeds it up
> > and allows you to shop at a glance instead of having to click on 80
> > boxes to see whats for sale. (Or combine scrolling and the altkey, while
> > dealing with popup names that are each offset from the next by an inch.)
>
> I would have liked to see the spell level rather than the
> prices. If you need a spell, you need the spell. If you
> don't have enough plat on your char, you still have to visit
> the bank. Showing the prices means little or nothing to me.

You really do only buy spells? :p 

> If I need something for tradeskilling from a merchant, I buy
> it. I couldn't be bothered running around to see if another
> merchant has it slightly cheaper.

/boggle. Nobody needs to know the price for -comparison shopping-
between npc merchants. They need to know the price for its own sake.

> In most cases, weapons on
> merchants are so overpriced that I skip over them anyways.
> In 5 years I think I have come across about 3 "deals" on
> merchant purchased weapons. The scrolling while holding the
> alt key presents no difficulties to me. I've never had a
> problem identifying which box the popup names apply to.

1) Why should you have to hold the alt-box at all, and put up with
difficult to read lists? Your defending a poor UI simply because it was
usable, not because it was good.

2) It works in the bazaar... and there are many people who do -browse-
there.

> > It will also dramatically speed up purchasing various tradeskill items
> > (spell research pages, runes, etc etc) which all have the same icon.
> > (Particularly the ability to now sort them.)
>
> I agree with the sorting, I do like that. But, from a narrow
> point of view as you've mentioned, and with an abundance of
> casters in my stable, a sort function based on spell levels
> would be very nice addition indeed!

Up to date spell lists is really all you need, and they'll be here
before you know it. (I hear some sites are already caught up)

> > The new way is much cleaner.
>
> I may come to like it in time, and when the various spell
> lists get sorted out, as they certainly will, but for now it
> is really slowing down that part of the game for me.

Must be nice to level so often that having to buy your spells is
noticeably slowing you down. =)

[Tip: buy 3 or 4 levels at a time :p  ]
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 9:40:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
news:MPG.1ced2f94ca74599c989b29@shawnews:

> In article <Xns965471983BD4ERumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
> Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
>>
>> If I understand it correctly (couldn't verify it myself, as my custom
>> UI's were all borked from the update) the price is shown in the item
>> listing without having to right-click on the item. If that's the
>> case, then I agree that, for spells specifically, level would be much
>> more helpful. When I hit a new spell level (which will evidently be
>> most every level now), I make sure I have plenty of plat to buy them
>> and then sift through all the spell vendors looking for those that
>> are of my level. Listing the level would make that process much
>> simpler and less time consuming, the listing the names certainly
>> helps as well.
>
> /shrug then you'll be wanting the class listed too... every level has
> spells that have to be bought from unusual multi-class vendors (in
> FV/Iceclad/Shadowhaven/EchoCaverns/Katta Kastellum/HHK etc...

Sure, now that you mention it. :) 

> Everyone I know figures out what they need -first- and where they are
> located and then goes and gets them. Its terribly inefficient not to
> mention inadequate to wander around PoK clicking and sifting. It would
> take forever, and you'd still miss some.


As do I. However, I end up having to check them off individually as I
purchase them. It would be nice to merely note that I'm needing six new
spells and see that there are six spells for my level all together,
purchasing them all at once. I could then verify them all at once as well,
ensuring that I have all I was expecting and none are missing due to list
discrepancies.

Also, I don't wander around PoK clicking and sifting. Naturally I begin
with my class spell merchants and work from there. A cleric, for example,
has a pretty good idea what other class spell merchants to check for his
lower level healing spells (why they can't all be found on cleric spell
merchants, I'll never know).

My point was that while it would be nice, it's not exactly necessary.

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 10:27:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

KDragon wrote:
> Does anyone actually like what they have done with today's patch?

I don't like it but not for the reasons you state. Dealing with the
guild bank, I was afraid that something would happen and it happened
to me today. When two people are browsing the same merchant and the
other buys the merchant out of something, *your* list is reset to
the top again. I don't like the way the list resets when you buy
something out, either. Makes vendor mining a pain in the patootie.

Tracey
May 13, 2005 2:16:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <4283A028.5070609@aol.com>, rbrancher2@aol.com says...
>
>
> KDragon wrote:
> > Does anyone actually like what they have done with today's patch?
>
> I don't like it but not for the reasons you state. Dealing with the
> guild bank, I was afraid that something would happen and it happened
> to me today. When two people are browsing the same merchant and the
> other buys the merchant out of something, *your* list is reset to
> the top again. I don't like the way the list resets when you buy
> something out, either. Makes vendor mining a pain in the patootie.

That was one of my complaints as well. The software should be able to
cope with updates without resetting position.

Feedback it. I did.
May 13, 2005 2:30:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <Xns965480DB9D3D6Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
> news:MPG.1ced2f94ca74599c989b29@shawnews:
>
> > In article <Xns965471983BD4ERumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
> > Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> >>
> >> If I understand it correctly (couldn't verify it myself, as my custom
> >> UI's were all borked from the update) the price is shown in the item
> >> listing without having to right-click on the item. If that's the
> >> case, then I agree that, for spells specifically, level would be much
> >> more helpful. When I hit a new spell level (which will evidently be
> >> most every level now), I make sure I have plenty of plat to buy them
> >> and then sift through all the spell vendors looking for those that
> >> are of my level. Listing the level would make that process much
> >> simpler and less time consuming, the listing the names certainly
> >> helps as well.
> >
> > /shrug then you'll be wanting the class listed too... every level has
> > spells that have to be bought from unusual multi-class vendors (in
> > FV/Iceclad/Shadowhaven/EchoCaverns/Katta Kastellum/HHK etc...
>
> Sure, now that you mention it. :) 

Heh. I walked into that one :)  If you liked that, see /vender below :p 
>
> > Everyone I know figures out what they need -first- and where they are
> > located and then goes and gets them. Its terribly inefficient not to
> > mention inadequate to wander around PoK clicking and sifting. It would
> > take forever, and you'd still miss some.
>
>
> As do I. However, I end up having to check them off individually as I
> purchase them. It would be nice to merely note that I'm needing six new
> spells and see that there are six spells for my level all together,
> purchasing them all at once. I could then verify them all at once as well,
> ensuring that I have all I was expecting and none are missing due to list
> discrepancies.

As long as the spells are scattered on different vendors it will never
be that easy. Personally, I think it shouldn't be that easy.


> Also, I don't wander around PoK clicking and sifting.

It is a pretty funny visual though. =)

> Naturally I begin
> with my class spell merchants and work from there. A cleric, for example,
> has a pretty good idea what other class spell merchants to check for his
> lower level healing spells (why they can't all be found on cleric spell
> merchants, I'll never know).
>
> My point was that while it would be nice, it's not exactly necessary.

Fair enough. It would also be nice for food items to list their grade
(miraculous, whistle wetter, etc and stats) or for the lists to be
filterable/searchable so that I only see 'food & drink' or 'weapons and
armour' or 'mage spell research items'... or 'cleric spells between
level 24 and 29' etc etc etc

Or perhaps we should be able to pull up /vendor in any zone, see what
all the NPCs are selling in a nice /bazaar interface window, right click
on the item, click Find Vendor and follow the glowy over to him...

Not sure that would be good for the 'game' though. But still...but it
would make shopping "easier".

I mean there's lots of things we could fine tune to make it 'perfect'
(each of us having their own list of preferences, but the OP gave it a
thumbs down primarily because it didn't list spell level... 99% of my
vendor purchases aren't for spells. Several classes in the game don't
even use spells. And last but not least the -old- system didn't
conveniently display spell levels either so its not like we lost
something.

It seems a very petty thing to trash the whole system over.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 3:38:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> That was one of my complaints as well. The software should be able to
> cope with updates without resetting position.
>
> Feedback it. I did.

Good idea, I'll feedback it also.

I also don't like being unable to tell whether a vendor is "full".
I.e., if I sell something there, will it be available to repurchase?
I sometimes sell stacks of water or bat wings and buy them back to
convert 200 cp into 2 gp, but that doesn't work if the vendor's full.
(Which, contrary to an earlier post in this thread, DOES happen a lot,
especially in high-traffic areas after the server's been up for over
a week.)

The other problem I've seen mentioned is that there's a big fat BUY
button, but no DONE button. You have to click the little X or hit
ESC to close the window. (Or move far enough away.) I saw someone
bitching that he had ended up clicking BUY when he was trying to
close the window.

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 54 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 17 on E. Marr
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 4:45:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
news:MPG.1ced78f148f3c6f1989b2d@shawnews:

> In article <Xns965480DB9D3D6Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
> Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...

< snip >

>> My point was that while it would be nice, it's not exactly necessary.
>
> Fair enough. It would also be nice for food items to list their grade
> (miraculous, whistle wetter, etc and stats) or for the lists to be
> filterable/searchable so that I only see 'food & drink' or 'weapons
> and armour' or 'mage spell research items'... or 'cleric spells
> between level 24 and 29' etc etc etc
>
> Or perhaps we should be able to pull up /vendor in any zone, see what
> all the NPCs are selling in a nice /bazaar interface window, right
> click on the item, click Find Vendor and follow the glowy over to
> him...
>
> Not sure that would be good for the 'game' though. But still...but it
> would make shopping "easier".
>
> I mean there's lots of things we could fine tune to make it 'perfect'
> (each of us having their own list of preferences, but the OP gave it a
> thumbs down primarily because it didn't list spell level... 99% of my
> vendor purchases aren't for spells. Several classes in the game don't
> even use spells. And last but not least the -old- system didn't
> conveniently display spell levels either so its not like we lost
> something.
>
> It seems a very petty thing to trash the whole system over.
>

Maybe I need to come right out and say that I like the change (at least I
think I will once my UI is updated to display merchant window contents).
Therefore you're preaching to the choir.

However, I can still see where the OP is coming from. You said yourself
that we all have our own preferences. According to his, this particular
change wasn't for the best. His mistake was simply not finding out which
way the wind blew before going off a bit about it.

To each their own. /shrug

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
May 13, 2005 8:04:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <Xns9654C8FE485FARumbledorhotmailcom@216.148.227.77>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
> news:MPG.1ced78f148f3c6f1989b2d@shawnews:
>
> > In article <Xns965480DB9D3D6Rumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>,
> > Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
>
> < snip >
>
> >> My point was that while it would be nice, it's not exactly necessary.
> >
> > Fair enough. It would also be nice for food items to list their grade
> > (miraculous, whistle wetter, etc and stats) or for the lists to be
> > filterable/searchable so that I only see 'food & drink' or 'weapons
> > and armour' or 'mage spell research items'... or 'cleric spells
> > between level 24 and 29' etc etc etc
> >
> > Or perhaps we should be able to pull up /vendor in any zone, see what
> > all the NPCs are selling in a nice /bazaar interface window, right
> > click on the item, click Find Vendor and follow the glowy over to
> > him...
> >
> > Not sure that would be good for the 'game' though. But still...but it
> > would make shopping "easier".
> >
> > I mean there's lots of things we could fine tune to make it 'perfect'
> > (each of us having their own list of preferences, but the OP gave it a
> > thumbs down primarily because it didn't list spell level... 99% of my
> > vendor purchases aren't for spells. Several classes in the game don't
> > even use spells. And last but not least the -old- system didn't
> > conveniently display spell levels either so its not like we lost
> > something.
> >
> > It seems a very petty thing to trash the whole system over.
> >
>
> Maybe I need to come right out and say that I like the change (at least I
> think I will once my UI is updated to display merchant window contents).
> Therefore you're preaching to the choir.

I realize that we were on the same side. :) 

> However, I can still see where the OP is coming from. You said yourself
> that we all have our own preferences. According to his, this particular
> change wasn't for the best. His mistake was simply not finding out which
> way the wind blew before going off a bit about it.

The new UI is better for a great number of situtions...even for buying
spells, if he happens to know what spells he needs in advance, and is
shopping by name.

> To each their own. /shrug

/agreed

But I think he was throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this one.
May 13, 2005 8:10:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <7w1x8caubo.fsf@ca.icynic.com>, don-ns@iCynic.com says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> > That was one of my complaints as well. The software should be able to
> > cope with updates without resetting position.
> >
> > Feedback it. I did.
>
> Good idea, I'll feedback it also.
>
> I also don't like being unable to tell whether a vendor is "full".
> I.e., if I sell something there, will it be available to repurchase?
> I sometimes sell stacks of water or bat wings and buy them back to
> convert 200 cp into 2 gp, but that doesn't work if the vendor's full.

Here's a tip that works even when the vendor is full... buy something on
the vendor that sell back for the same price. Gems in the 5-50pp range
are the best... buy a few gems... converts all your gold/silver/copper
instantly. Hang onto the gems until you've got a stack (buying more each
time you need to convert, and then sell the stack for a minor loss).

Sure there's no loss your way ... but I'd go nuts converting 2 thousand
silver and as much copper your way :) 

> (Which, contrary to an earlier post in this thread, DOES happen a lot,
> especially in high-traffic areas after the server's been up for over
> a week.)

Numbering the list wouldn't be a difficult thing to do. Feed back that
too :)  They could list the entries from 1-80.

> The other problem I've seen mentioned is that there's a big fat BUY
> button, but no DONE button. You have to click the little X or hit
> ESC to close the window. (Or move far enough away.) I saw someone
> bitching that he had ended up clicking BUY when he was trying to
> close the window.

A done button is a good idea too.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 11:17:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

KDragon wrote:
> Does anyone actually like what they have done with today's
> patch? I for one find the new system quite annoying compared
> to what it was before. It reminds me of the EQ2 vendor
> windows a bit from when I played in beta.
>
1. I can see when just browsing, the price is a nice thing to have. But
sometimes I know what I want and I just scroll through till I find the
icon I want. But these icons are small and my old aging eyes have a
harder time picking the right item. So for those cases, I like the
older style vendor display
2. The buy and no done - I did a buy when I meant to close. Fortunately
it was just a rusty sword. phew
3. Sorting by name is a very nice feature. Having the items scramble
after a purchase reduces the effectiveness

I think most seasoned players have an idea of what stuff costs, so i
see that adding the prices is making it easier for new players.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:32:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:09:58 GMT in
<Xns965471983BD4ERumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>If I understand it correctly (couldn't verify it myself, as my custom UI's
>were all borked from the update) the price is shown in the item listing
>without having to right-click on the item. If that's the case, then I agree
>that, for spells specifically, level would be much more helpful.

yeah, well, it's not much different than it used to be--except now you
don't have to click on the item to see the price. Ya know what would
be <really> helpful, is if the spells just mystically appeared in your
inventory and you didn't have to buy them at all, however, that ain't
gonna happen. There's probably 10,000% more items in this game than
spells, none of which require telling you what level is needed. Now,
which makes more sense, making some special listing for spells, or
simply creating no more inconvenience than players have already
experienced for six years by right clicking on the friggin' thing to
get the info?
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in
news:lU2he.58$X92.56@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On Thu, 12 May 2005 16:09:58 GMT in
> <Xns965471983BD4ERumbledorhotmailcom@63.240.76.16>, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>If I understand it correctly (couldn't verify it myself, as my custom
>>UI's were all borked from the update) the price is shown in the item
>>listing without having to right-click on the item. If that's the case,
>>then I agree that, for spells specifically, level would be much more
>>helpful.
>
> yeah, well, it's not much different than it used to be--except now you
> don't have to click on the item to see the price. Ya know what would
> be <really> helpful, is if the spells just mystically appeared in your
> inventory and you didn't have to buy them at all, however, that ain't
> gonna happen. There's probably 10,000% more items in this game than
> spells, none of which require telling you what level is needed. Now,
> which makes more sense, making some special listing for spells, or
> simply creating no more inconvenience than players have already
> experienced for six years by right clicking on the friggin' thing to
> get the info?
>

Heh, in EQ2 they mystically appear memorized in your book, not just as
you level, but as you attain the correct percentage into your level.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:56:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in news:7w1x8caubo.fsf@ca.icynic.com:

> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
>> That was one of my complaints as well. The software should be able to
>> cope with updates without resetting position.
>>
>> Feedback it. I did.
>
> Good idea, I'll feedback it also.
>
> I also don't like being unable to tell whether a vendor is "full".
> I.e., if I sell something there, will it be available to repurchase?
> I sometimes sell stacks of water or bat wings and buy them back to
> convert 200 cp into 2 gp, but that doesn't work if the vendor's full.
> (Which, contrary to an earlier post in this thread, DOES happen a lot,
> especially in high-traffic areas after the server's been up for over
> a week.)
>

I've got maybe a stupid question, but how could you tell when a vendor was
full before?

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 7:35:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns96556527B6073Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.204.17:

> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
> news:7w1x8caubo.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
>
>> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
>>> That was one of my complaints as well. The software should be able
>>> to cope with updates without resetting position.
>>>
>>> Feedback it. I did.
>>
>> Good idea, I'll feedback it also.
>>
>> I also don't like being unable to tell whether a vendor is "full".
>> I.e., if I sell something there, will it be available to repurchase?
>> I sometimes sell stacks of water or bat wings and buy them back to
>> convert 200 cp into 2 gp, but that doesn't work if the vendor's full.
>> (Which, contrary to an earlier post in this thread, DOES happen a
>> lot, especially in high-traffic areas after the server's been up for
>> over a week.)
>>
>
> I've got maybe a stupid question, but how could you tell when a vendor
> was full before?
>

Scroll to the bottom and see if all slots are full.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:35:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in
news:Xns9655618BED8A1richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4:

> Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in
> news:Xns96556527B6073Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.204.17:
>
>> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
>> news:7w1x8caubo.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
>>
>>> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
>>>> That was one of my complaints as well. The software should be able
>>>> to cope with updates without resetting position.
>>>>
>>>> Feedback it. I did.
>>>
>>> Good idea, I'll feedback it also.
>>>
>>> I also don't like being unable to tell whether a vendor is "full".
>>> I.e., if I sell something there, will it be available to repurchase?
>>> I sometimes sell stacks of water or bat wings and buy them back to
>>> convert 200 cp into 2 gp, but that doesn't work if the vendor's full.
>>> (Which, contrary to an earlier post in this thread, DOES happen a
>>> lot, especially in high-traffic areas after the server's been up for
>>> over a week.)
>>>
>>
>> I've got maybe a stupid question, but how could you tell when a vendor
>> was full before?
>>
>
> Scroll to the bottom and see if all slots are full.
>

Hmm, that makes (obvious) sense. I never did any vendor diving though, so I
never noticed that they ever actually filled them all up.

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:09:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
> > Scroll to the bottom and see if all slots are full.
>
> Hmm, that makes (obvious) sense. I never did any vendor diving though, so I
> never noticed that they ever actually filled them all up.

From articles I've seen, I gather that it USED to be the case that
if a vendor had all 80 slots filled, stuff you sold still got held
on the vendor, and if you (or someone later) bought out one of the
visible slots, then closed/reopened the vendor, something new might
appear in the last slot. It made vendor-diving a much more elaborate
procedure. But at some point in the past (before I started playing,
most likely) it was changed so now when a vendor has all 80 slots
filled, new stuff sold there goes poof.

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 54 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 17 on E. Marr
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:12:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> Here's a tip that works even when the vendor is full... buy something on
> the vendor that sell back for the same price. Gems in the 5-50pp range
> are the best... buy a few gems... converts all your gold/silver/copper
> instantly. Hang onto the gems until you've got a stack (buying more each
> time you need to convert, and then sell the stack for a minor loss).
>
> Sure there's no loss your way ... but I'd go nuts converting 2 thousand
> silver and as much copper your way :) 

True enough. I admit I used the "no loss" conversion more when I was
in my 30s. Now that I'm farming Hill Giants in Rathe, I do go to the
gem vendor in that zone and convert coins to rubies. I then either
eat the loss on selling back the rubies, or put them up in the bazaar
for just a shade less than what the NPC charged me. (Frankly, I could
probably get away with charging more than NPCs, which is really weird,
but I'll settle for not taking a loss. :-)

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 54 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 17 on E. Marr
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:44:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
news:7wmzqy3965.fsf@ca.icynic.com:

> Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
>> > Scroll to the bottom and see if all slots are full.
>>
>> Hmm, that makes (obvious) sense. I never did any vendor diving
>> though, so I never noticed that they ever actually filled them all
>> up.
>
> From articles I've seen, I gather that it USED to be the case that
> if a vendor had all 80 slots filled, stuff you sold still got held
> on the vendor, and if you (or someone later) bought out one of the
> visible slots, then closed/reopened the vendor, something new might
> appear in the last slot. It made vendor-diving a much more elaborate
> procedure. But at some point in the past (before I started playing,
> most likely) it was changed so now when a vendor has all 80 slots
> filled, new stuff sold there goes poof.
>

So am I correct in assuming that that effectively eliminated the practice
of vendor diving?


--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 9:09:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Rumbledor wrote:
> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
> news:7wmzqy3965.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
>
>
>>Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
>>
>>>>Scroll to the bottom and see if all slots are full.
>>>
>>>Hmm, that makes (obvious) sense. I never did any vendor diving
>>>though, so I never noticed that they ever actually filled them all
>>>up.
>>
>>From articles I've seen, I gather that it USED to be the case that
>>if a vendor had all 80 slots filled, stuff you sold still got held
>>on the vendor, and if you (or someone later) bought out one of the
>>visible slots, then closed/reopened the vendor, something new might
>>appear in the last slot. It made vendor-diving a much more elaborate
>>procedure. But at some point in the past (before I started playing,
>>most likely) it was changed so now when a vendor has all 80 slots
>>filled, new stuff sold there goes poof.
>>
>
>
> So am I correct in assuming that that effectively eliminated the practice
> of vendor diving?

Yeah, but it's still called vendor diving even though all you can
buy is what is shown.

Tracey
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:56:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
> > But at some point in the past (before I started playing,
> > most likely) it was changed so now when a vendor has all 80 slots
> > filled, new stuff sold there goes poof.
>
> So am I correct in assuming that that effectively eliminated the practice
> of vendor diving?

Not completely. People still "dive" for what's visible on vendors,
looking for things to use or resell. And that's called vendor diving.
(I don't know if it had a different name back when vendor diving meant
digging past the visible stuff.)

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 54 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 51 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 17 on E. Marr
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 6:11:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in
news:Xns965677615A94DRumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17:

> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
> news:7wmzqy3965.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
>
>> Rumbledor <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> writes:
>>> > Scroll to the bottom and see if all slots are full.
>>>
>>> Hmm, that makes (obvious) sense. I never did any vendor diving
>>> though, so I never noticed that they ever actually filled them all
>>> up.
>>
>> From articles I've seen, I gather that it USED to be the case that
>> if a vendor had all 80 slots filled, stuff you sold still got held
>> on the vendor, and if you (or someone later) bought out one of the
>> visible slots, then closed/reopened the vendor, something new might
>> appear in the last slot. It made vendor-diving a much more elaborate
>> procedure. But at some point in the past (before I started playing,
>> most likely) it was changed so now when a vendor has all 80 slots
>> filled, new stuff sold there goes poof.
>
> So am I correct in assuming that that effectively eliminated the
> practice of vendor diving?
>

It eliminated the old practice of buying out an item to see what was
buried, but, people still browse vendors for the odd lucky find.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 28 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Retired
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner, Retired
!