Slow Printing Not SP2 Related

I am running XP Home (with SP2). I have an HP Laserjet 6P attached to LPT1. I
print using a template that has my letterhead. The company name at top is a
combination of Imprint MT Shadow and Palace Script MT fonts. The body of the
letter is usually Times New Roman. With the company name it takes 40 seconds
to print a page. Without the company name it prints within seconds. All fonts
appear to be Truetype. Any ideas? Thanks.
George Sullivan

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

It might be that the body of the document uses built in printer fonts and
the letter head does not. Using all the same type of fonts (all built-in,
or all windows based) may speed things up. Generally, the built-in printer
fonts allow faster printing than windows based fonts.

This whole subject area gets quite involved. The "windows based" fonts I
referred to include any font type that is sent to the printer in a graphics
or vector mode. Built-in printer fonts are generally used by sending a form
of ascii characters to the printer. The amount of data sent to a printer
using built in fonts is considerably less than that sent in a graphics font.

Post Script printers in post script mode are another major variation. Even
though there are standard printer based fonts that are a part of post
script, a document may exist in a graphics format, or even a mixed mode
form.