Games crash when overclocked

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
When my friend playing GTA IV and Battlefield 3, it was never crashed even overclocked at 3.6 GHz, but when he overclock his Pentium E5500 to 3.8 GHz, GTA IV and Battlefield 3 crashed. So what he can doing?

Here's his PC specification:
- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5500
- 4GB DDR2 800 MHz
- Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti (that's my video card :D)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500 GB
- Hitachi Deskstar 250 GB
- Standard 380W Power Supply (not so good)

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
It could and probably is at least on of these four things.

First, his power supply. Since I'm assuming it's not an Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, or other well known builder, he probably isn't get enough juice to keep that thing stable under full load.

It also could be a cooling issue. Is he using the stock cooler?If so, might I humbly suggest looking into a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO? This will help keeps temps far more manageable and lead to increased stability.

Lastly, his CPU might just not be stable at 3.8GHz. That's a major overclock, far above it's stock speed of 2.8GHz. A 1GHz overclock is difficult. Did he change his V-core voltage? If so, to what?

His FSB might also be too high, and if he didn't turn down his RAM, PCI-E, or Northbridge multiplier, he could have overclocked his RAM or other components far beyond stability.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
He's not set the vcore because he fearing about his computer will be damaged after setting vcore (actually he set auto).

He don't have money to buy the good power supply especially in in my city rarely sold better power supply and aftermarket coolers, computer store in my city only sell computer peripherals that sell quickly. In my city, computer enthusiast are rarely seen because they only playing online gams especially Point Blank and Lost Saga.

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
If you live in the states, you can order good, cheap enthusiast parts @ newegg.com

Here's a much better PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

And is the best damn aircooler for the money - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

Seriously though, if he can't upgrade the stock cooler, or the PSU, he really shouldn't be trying to overclock his system as the likely result will be damaged components. And those are lot more expensive to replace then just getting a few upgrades.

He certainly will never hit 3.8 without better cooling, better power, and adjusting the V-Core.

Leaving the V core on auto is the most dangerous way to overclock as it will normally feed it more voltage that it needs. I think the most likely reason it is not stable at that clock is either the CPU or RAM has become unstable at that speed, was any stability testing done at these settings and what settings are being used? Also you may get better expert advise on this in the overclocking part of the forum.

frenzyvanrafi

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I live in Indonesia, maybe it was possible but not newegg, I can see the online store for my country but he don't go to online because he worry. I also bought Logitech Gaming Mouse G300 on this online store.

However, cooling was not possible because CM 212 EVO was not sale on this online store and this cooler was not fit on his case (even my case too) because this case are too small to installing this cooler (120mm fan not possible, 80mm only).

BTW, I own good power supply (but not so good).