Increasing core voltage

Pizzarro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
I don't usually do electrical stuff, so I'm not sure, but...
What is the point of increasing the core voltage? I've noticed that a bunch of people run 1.85v, but my Soyo Dragon + is stocked at 1.75v. Is there an increase in speed or what?
JJ

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
when you are overclocking, you at times need to increase the core voltage of the processor. faster a processor runs, more power it consumes. at the rated voltage, the power delivered migt not be enough to run it well, the system then either becomes unstable or just doesntboot.

by increasing this core voltage, you make sure the procesor is supplied with enough power to run at faster speed. of course, a side-effect of this is that it starts giving off more heat, which has to be taken off as fast as possible. that is why overclocking also demands use of better and better heatsink/fans.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

Pizzarro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2001
Ah...
That makes sense, now. I tried to o/c my fsb (I have a Dragon+ / xp1600+ /256MB Crucial PC2100). I bumped it up to an 1800+ and Win2k crashed pretty quickly (WinAmp and IE was about all I was running), so I knocked it down to a 1700+ and Win2k crashed again, so I just dropped it back to Soyo's performance default settings. I haven't tried unlocking my XP. I might at some point, but not yet. I'm currently running a PCI video card, but I should be receiving my new Radeon 7500 this week. Then I won't have any PCI cards, so maybe bumping the fsb would give me less problems.

Does that sound reasonable? Also, I'll try bumping it with more voltage and see if that helps out any. I have a Thermalright SK-6 and my cpu is currently running at 33 degrees cel. I have it in an underground closet with no vents, 2 case fans, a 7000rpm hsf, and a big floor fan sitting on top of the case sucking/blowing upward, oh and my case sides are off.
Hehehe...
I knocked off a good 4 degrees when I put the floor fan on top and took the sides off.
JJ

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, although you dont have any PCI cards, your do have some PCI devices that are present on your motheboard! They might make FSB increasing difficult.

Even the AGP frequency (which is 66 MHz nominal) is derived from the FSB, 2/3 for 100 MHz FSB and 1/2 for 133 MHz FSB. Your Radeaon will probabely take more than 89 MHz, when you crank up the FSB to 166 MHz! That shouldnt be a problem.

What the problem is, you still have the IDE controller sitting on the PCI bus that cannot tolerate frequencies above 37~40 MHz! With a PCI divider of 4, you can have the FSB at max 160 MHz with effort, not more than that.

You have pretty good cooling given that the system is kept in a underground closet! And the temperature is also quite okay, you can run the processor at a bit higher temperature, so you have some room for the temperature to rise.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>