Lost Printers and printer spool

Since upgrading to SP2, I've lost my printers in the "Printers and Fax"
folder. The only icon appearing in the folder is "ADD PRINTER". When I
attempt to add a printer, I get an error message: OPeration could not be
completed. Print Spooler Service in not running.
I cannot even install from a CD because the icon will not allow me to access
anything. Your help is appreaciated. Thank you.

restart the service

in a cmd window
net start spooler

or in Control Panel / Admin tools /Services
Print Spooler, rt click, start

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"dab1477" <dab1477@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since upgrading to SP2, I've lost my printers in the "Printers and Fax"
> folder. The only icon appearing in the folder is "ADD PRINTER". When I
> attempt to add a printer, I get an error message: OPeration could not be
> completed. Print Spooler Service in not running.
> I cannot even install from a CD because the icon will not allow me to
access
> anything. Your help is appreaciated. Thank you.

Thanks so much. Such a simple resolution to a mindless problem. TY

"dab1477" wrote:

> Since upgrading to SP2, I've lost my printers in the "Printers and Fax"
> folder. The only icon appearing in the folder is "ADD PRINTER". When I
> attempt to add a printer, I get an error message: OPeration could not be
> completed. Print Spooler Service in not running.
> I cannot even install from a CD because the icon will not allow me to access
> anything. Your help is appreaciated. Thank you.

i try what you wrote and its not working please help

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> restart the service
>
> in a cmd window
> net start spooler
>
> or in Control Panel / Admin tools /Services
> Print Spooler, rt click, start
>

> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team
> ;kbhowto]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

> "dab1477" <dab1477@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since upgrading to SP2, I've lost my printers in the "Printers and Fax"
> > folder. The only icon appearing in the folder is "ADD PRINTER". When I
> > attempt to add a printer, I get an error message: OPeration could not be
> > completed. Print Spooler Service in not running.
> > I cannot even install from a CD because the icon will not allow me to
> access
> > anything. Your help is appreaciated. Thank you.

any error generated when attempting to start the spooler?

Bruce has good information here. Be sure to read the Lexmark information if
you have or had one.