Sudden drop in FPS on World of Warcraft as well as other issues

Keljar

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Recently, I have experienced a significant decrease in fps on World of Warcraft. I used to normally get 60+ fps. Now during raids, I drop to 1 or 2 fps. I was running on ultra graphics settings and even dropping to low graphics settings didn't help. I have also noticed that while watching movies on Netflix, the video would run slower than the sound. As far as I know, I have not changed anything on my computer in the last week and that is when I first noticed these problems. I play WoW every day so I immediately noticed a difference, but I had not done anything to cause it. I even restored my computer to a week ago when things were running fine hoping that would help and it didn't. I just bought PC Pitstop hoping that would help and after running the scan and letting it fix everything it suggested, I am still having the same problem with WoW and Netflix. I have no idea what else to try. Below is the specs for my computer. I bought this computer from Cyber Power back in February of 2011. I must admit I have had problems with is from the start and probably should have returned it, but the "at least 6 to 8 week wait" was a bit much for me at the time. But here are the specs. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't even raid like this and I raid as often as possible.

PC Pitstop Active X Build 211

Browser MSIE 7.0

System OS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

System OS Install Date Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 CST 1900

System Make Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model X58A-UD3R

Main Board Make Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Main Board Model X58A-UD3R

Main Board Version

Main Board BIOS Award Software International, Inc. Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG HPQOEM - 42302e31 20101117

Processor Description Intel #206c2

Number of Processors 12

Processor Clock Speed 3,330 MHz

Graphics Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

Video Memory Not Scanned

Memory Installed 12,288 MB

Memory Slots 6 slots

2048+2048+2048+2048+2048+2048;DIMM

Drive Name (C)

Drive Size (C) 476,837 MB

Drive Format (C) NTFS

Drive Name (E)

Drive Size (E) 953,866 MB

Drive Format (E) NTFS

Drive Name (F) System Reserved

Drive Size (F) 99 MB

Drive Format (F) NTFS

Drive Name (G)

Drive Size (G) 28,523 MB

Drive Format (G) NTFS

Drive Name (H) Expansion Drive

Drive Size (H) 476,937 MB

Drive Format (H) NTFS

DVD-RAM Model TSSTcorp DVDWBD SH-B123L

DVD-RAM Read Speed 8,467 KB/sec (48X)

DVD-RAM Write Speed 8,467 KB/sec (48X)

Monitor Model HP S2331 Series Wide LCD Monitor

Monitor Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels

Monitor Screen Size 19.9 x 11.3 inches
22.9 inches (diagonal)

Monitor Manufacture Date Friday, April 09, 2010

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
That is a monster of a computer! :eek: (It's very powerful.)
Ok, I don't play Wow but I'll try my best to help you anyway.

Check your power settings. (Put on high performance so your computer uses all of the processing power available.)
Do you have a good cooling system? (I read your specs but sorry I'm not an expert on cooling systems...I have a laptop lol)

Ok maybe we should consider finding out if it's a software or hardware issue.
Have any of your Wow friends experienced the same problem? It could be caused by an update or something. (Unlikely as this is Blizzard we're talking about. I think they're pretty reliable but I'm not 100%)

Since a system restore didn't change anything, we can only assume it's a hardware
problem perhaps. (Worst case scanario so we'll leave it out.)

I can only now suggest checking your GPU control panel settings.
If you know anything about GPU performance (e.g. checking GPU-Z stats etc. that stuff that I don't understand...) then check if there are any fluctuations in clock speed, memory performance (or leaks) and generally checking via task manager checking your processor and
ram usage.

One more thing, maybe updating your graphics card could help.
Sorry, best I got. :/
If all else fails, Google it. Or wait for someone more helpful to reply. Lol. Sorry.

Keljar

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Ok. I uninstalled the graphics driver and deleted them from my system, shut down the computer, then restarted it. The computer searched for and installed my graphics drivers and everything seemed ok for a couple of days. Then the problem returned where I'd be playing WoW and my fps would drop to 1 or 2 fps during battles and out of battles it was only 13 or 16. Now I have a new problem. My computer is just shutting off randomly. This started yesterday. When I got it to come back on, I looked up some info online and it seems overheating was the main cause of random shut offs of computer. I downloaded CPUID and it showed that my cpu and all 6 cores were over 100C. My cores stayed around 100C, but my cpu got up to 118C before it shut off again. Since then, I have had random shutdowns constantly. I have removed the side panel of my computer and placed two small fans there blowing into it and that doesn't help. I don't know if this overheating problem is related to my fps problem, but I really have no idea what to do. I'm going to start another thread about the overheating problem... as soon as find the right section to put it in. And hopefully my computer doesn't shut off while I'm in the middle of typing it.

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Those temperatures could definitely cause problems. Even 90 degrees is dangerous.

Reapplying the thermal paste is pretty easy. There are plenty of tutorials.

The overheating is likely causing all your problems. Your rig should be able to maintain 60FPS at all times. My system is really similar and I never drop below 60 in WoW. My GPU is the AMD equivalent of yours, and your CPU is a little better.