Newbie O/C question

G

I have a PIII 733 + Asus CUSL2 board. Since i just bought an AMD XP 1800+, Im gonna do as much OC to this 733 as i possibly can. I did everything that ppl have told me in the past and now im at a point where i have to increase my voltage... the thing is, my bios only allows you to increase it 0.5 volts at a time, is it ok to go up this much? I heard you should only go up 0.1 at a time. And for the record, is there ANY possible way to unlock the multiplier on a p3? I don't get how they permanently lock it...

----------------
:eek: Airplane!?! Naw... Its just my computer...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The Asus CUSL2 is not quite the board for overclocking, it doesnt support finer voltage tweaking, and this is exactly the problem you are facing!

Well, Intel *programmes* the multiplier into the processor that cannot be altered. Maybe Intel knows some method to reprogram it, but its highly unlikely since there are no P3 multipler cracks available. I guess it is programmed into a sort of one time programmable ROM on the processor, that hold the other details of it and also some signals and control flags (like the FSB and multiplier and SMP protocols).

Actually, the voltage increment required is so small that AMD processors (and some good motherboards) support core voltage in increments of 250 mV (0.25 V). I dont think there is any board that will support 0.1V increments.

Anyway, your processor already runs at 133 MHz FSB, so it might be difficult to increase it much further without voltage tweaks, which unfortunately are not possible on the CUSL2!

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>