PC goes to sleep mode before/immediately after gaming.

Kommandant45

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but recently I've been noticing a problem with my PC, or perhaps its some kind of feature. First, some background detail

HP Dv6z Windows 7
AMD Quad-Core A8-3550MX 2.7/2.0 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7690M Graphics. 1Gb dedicated RAM to the graphics
640Gb SATA Hard drive 5400rpm
6gb DDR3 RAM
1366x768 resolution

I just got this PC about a month ago, but I've been experiencing some problems recently. Most times when I start a game, whether it is Skyrim or Battlefield 3 (which my computer can play well with decent frame rates), my computer goes to sleep mode. Also when I am exiting these games the computer goes into sleep mode. This does not always happen though and it never goes to sleep mode during gameplay. That only happened once when I was playing Counter Strike Source. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the OS or whatever it may be or if it is some HP feature that forces the computer to sleep when it gets hot or anticipates it getting hot with a large app.

Also it is interesting to note that when I have the computer elevated in a makeshift cooling platform, the problem for the most part disappears.

I'm curious to know what is causing this. Thanks.

Edit: I also got this error message after the computer came back from sleep mode while attempting to start BF3 http://i.imgur.com/JEysa.png?1