Fan info

G

I’m looking for some information on 80mm and 92mm fans, recommendations, websites to check out. I’m looking to possibly switch out my 60mm Volcano 5 fan for a 80mm or 92mm fan. The Volcano 5 is a little to loud for me and it’s not even keeping my Athlon 1.4 that cool, it’s at 54 now.
Would it make a big difference if I replaced the standard Thermaltake thermal compound with Arctic Silver 3?

Thanks

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
you might see a drop of 3 to 4C by adding arctic silver but 54 is kinda high. as most of the other people say on this board (if your not getting lock-ups then your temps should be just fine) i have a AMD XP1700 and its running idle at 37c.. you might want to look into getting some case fans and/or a better heatsink. check out this site<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/index.html" target="_new">http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/index.html</A>

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>

"Never mistake motion for action. "
- Ernest Hemingway

flywheel

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
that's a pretty cool site! I like how they have the sound clips that you can listen to before you buy a fan.

<A HREF="http://www.stormpages.com/flywheel/mysys.html" target="_new">My Current Rig</A>

G

I thought 54 was kind of high too. I checked out Sidewinder, that’s a cool site. It looks like they have a lot of good product and good prices. I have two 80mm case fans now (one in front and one in the back) along with an Enermax EG365P-VE powersupply. Any suggestions on a new heatsink. What kind of heatsink and fan do you have, and how is the noise? I'm putting my computer on a noise diet.
Thanks

Oh and on the system lockup issue, it's funny because I don't lock up much once I’m up and running. But I can't seem to figure out why sometimes on startup the system hangs and I don't even get the POST beep and I get a blank screen on the monitor?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Fast_Is_Good on 02/08/02 09:19 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Norberto

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Another cool site is Plycon.com, they sell any kind of fan and adapters, I personaly bought a 92mm delta with an adapter to se on the Volcano 6 Heatsink. I didn't get it yet, it should get to me on monday, but I belive that it will be VERY loud, now I prefer it to be so than to have high temps. Your temps are normal for a thermaltake Volc. 5 But if you really want to lower your temps you will have to deal with loud fans, even the Sweefe 462 mounts a 80mm delta on it that makes it loud. The only solution on a silent fan is to buy a Silverado, I was going to buy one but after 5 days of reaserch I decided that it wasn't worth it. If you set it to be quiet it doesn't cool a lot and if you set it to the highest spees, 12V, it isn't as quiet as one would like. So the best solution Is to change to a high power fan. See this:
The Volcano 6Cu has a temp of 51C full load with a 32cfm fan
The Volcano 6Cu+ has a temo od 46C full load with a 38cfm fan
The heatsink is the same, the only change is the fan.
The Sweefy 462 has temps at full load of 40-41 C with a 68cfm delta fan
So
If you put a 60-100cfm fan on any heatsink it you will get the lower temps you are looking for.
That is my point of view.

G

Cool, thanks for the link to Plycon.com (that's a great site) and for all of the info. I think I see some Arctic Silver 3, a fan adapter and a new fan in my future…Now I just have to decide on size, make and model fan.
I wonder if switching heatsinks would be worth it?

Thanks

Cyprus

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
i am useing a thermalright SK-6 (it comes boxed with a delta fan, that fan is so loud i couldent handle it) I replaced the delta fan with a thermaltake 60x60x25mm, 31 CFM @ 4550 RPM, 28 dBA. my system is still kinda loud but im useto it now. (i have a total of 6 fans in my case, 2 on the PS, 2 exhaust, 1 intake, and 1 on the chip)

you might want to look at the thermalright SK-6 (i have that one) or the Alpha 8045, and the swiftech(i dont remember the model #, i could find it if you need it) i have read some good reviews on all of of them

<font color=blue><b> cyprus </b></font color=blue>

"Never mistake motion for action. "
- Ernest Hemingway