Can't receive faxes in WinXP

November 8, 2004 5:39:03 PM

I am using WinFax Pro and a conexant hcf v90 56k data fax pci modem which is
on the Microsoft HCL list. I have WinFax Pro automatically start up when the
computer boots and it also is set to receive incoming faxes automatically.
The modem can send faxes fine, however it never receives incoming faxes. I
even tried the faxing service that comes with Win XP however it doesnt work
for receiving either. What do you recommend i do if i cannot receive faxes
nor do i receive any message or error from not receiving anything. Thanks in
advance.

More about : receive faxes winxp

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 9:02:30 PM

There are several problems involved here:

1. WinFax is a Symantec product and their support it has all but vanished.
2. WinFax 10.02 has never gotten along well with Windows XP.
3. WinFax doens't get along with XP Fax either.

The best suggestion I've received for using WinFax with Windows XP is to
revert to version 9.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"bvander" <bvander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using WinFax Pro and a conexant hcf v90 56k data fax pci modem which
is
> on the Microsoft HCL list. I have WinFax Pro automatically start up when
the
> computer boots and it also is set to receive incoming faxes automatically.
> The modem can send faxes fine, however it never receives incoming faxes.
> even tried the faxing service that comes with Win XP however it doesnt
work
> for receiving either. What do you recommend i do if i cannot receive
faxes
> nor do i receive any message or error from not receiving anything. Thanks
in
> advance.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:54:09 PM

So how do i troubleshoot my same problem with receiving if i want to use the
built in win xp fax software instead?

"Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS]" wrote:

> There are several problems involved here:
>
> 1. WinFax is a Symantec product and their support it has all but vanished.
> 2. WinFax 10.02 has never gotten along well with Windows XP.
> 3. WinFax doens't get along with XP Fax either.
>
> The best suggestion I've received for using WinFax with Windows XP is to
> revert to version 9.
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-DTS -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "bvander" <bvander@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am using WinFax Pro and a conexant hcf v90 56k data fax pci modem which
> is
> > on the Microsoft HCL list. I have WinFax Pro automatically start up when
> the
> > computer boots and it also is set to receive incoming faxes automatically.
> > The modem can send faxes fine, however it never receives incoming faxes.
> > even tried the faxing service that comes with Win XP however it doesnt
> work
> > for receiving either. What do you recommend i do if i cannot receive
> faxes
> > nor do i receive any message or error from not receiving anything. Thanks
> in
> > advance.

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 1:56:15 AM

The best I can suggest would be to remove WinFax Pro from your machine and
see if XP Fax still has problems. These errors have been nearly impossible
to track down. To do so requires enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax
transmissions, both of which require fairly extensive registry changes. If
you're into being a guinea pig, fellow MVP Russ Valentine can send you the
logging instructions.

Hal
--

!