HELP! O/C nightmare

AlexiD12

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
I have an Athlon 1.1GHz on a VIAKT133 chipset. I was trying to Overclock the chip slightly by increasing the bus speed from 100 to 112Mhz. Now the computer wont even boot to bios. I turn the PC on and the hardrive just goes nuts. The video doesn't even display.

Is the Bios toasted? How can I reset the Bios? Any help, please!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's probably OK. What motherboard are you using?

Some have a jumper to reset the CMOS. The Asus A7V has two contact points which can be closed with a screwdriver. If you can't find anything like these then disconnect the power cord and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

By the way, most KT133 boards can't go beyond 110mhz FSB. My old Abit KT7 would only go 106 mhz FSB. Also when you increase the FSB you are overclocking everything. At 112 mhz PCI would be at 37.3 mhz. AGP at 75 mhz. Not usually a problem but your memory would be at 112 mhz or at 149 mhz (if you used the HST + PCI option).

On KT133 boards it's best to overclock with just a little FSB increase and increase the multiplier (assuming your motherboard can).

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>

AlexiD12

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Yea, I whipped out the motherboard book and reset the CMOS which fixed the problem. Thanks for the info, very helpful. I also saw in the manual that I can change the multiplier in .5 increments up to 12.5, which would give me 1250MHz. I just need to get a jumper to active the switch, because right now it defaults to whatever the chip is.

Before I went to 112 on the bus, I tried 105MHz, and it did boot up, but as soon as I got to the desktop, the mouse froze and I had to reset. I think my only option is to play with the multiplier. I won't have to modify the chip like you do on XP's to change this, right?

Also, I think I might need a new heatsink/fan. My chip us running at like 112F, and sometimes as high as 130+F. This is without any overclocking.

Thanks again.

-Alex

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The bad news is that you will have to modify the chip to get it to run over spec. The good news is that it is a whole lot easier to do this with an Athlon than an XP. All you'll need is a pencil.

Remove your heatsink and connect the L1 bridges. The L1 bridges are labeled and will look like this :::: simply connect the dots to make it look like this |||| Next replace your heatsink, power up and see how far you can overclock it.

If it doesn't work the first time you may have to re-apply the pencil. The graphite has to be pretty thick. Since it's pencil, if you make a mistake simply erase and start over again.

You may have to increase your voltage to get into the higher multipliers. How to do this depends on your motherbard. Also you'll need pretty good cooling to stop the CPU from locking up/burning up.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.