Add network printer problem

We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the forest.
There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD trusts
NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your computer
which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your
system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from an NT4
server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain. I've tried
this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and Print
Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back with 2
W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.

I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.
4 answers Last reply
More about network printer problem

    This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm that
    the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers names
    must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the
    forest.
    > There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD trusts
    > NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your
    computer
    > which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
    your
    > system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from an
    NT4
    > server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain. I've
    tried
    > this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and
    Print
    > Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back with 2
    > W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.
    >
    > I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.

    Thank you. FYI, the printer is a Lexmark Optra S 1855. I didn't look at the
    actual driver files/versions but I updated the software and the log said that
    the XP and 2000 drivers were installed. The Alternate Drivers dialog box
    lists Windows NT x86 (Intel). When I log on to the XP system with the local
    administrator account I can not connect and install drivers. The error is
    "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
    incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."
    Logging on as a member of the domain admins worked fine and printing is
    established.

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm that
    > the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers names
    > must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the
    > forest.
    > > There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD trusts
    > > NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your
    > computer
    > > which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
    > your
    > > system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from an
    > NT4
    > > server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain. I've
    > tried
    > > this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and
    > Print
    > > Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back with 2
    > > W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.
    > >
    > > I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.

    This sounds like an authentication issue. Are you prompted for credentials
    when connecting to the server or is the guest enabled on the server?

    You will get this error also if the server client licenses are maxed out but
    that is another story and I do not think the issue in this case.

    --

    > Thank you. FYI, the printer is a Lexmark Optra S 1855. I didn't look at
    the
    > actual driver files/versions but I updated the software and the log said
    that
    > the XP and 2000 drivers were installed. The Alternate Drivers dialog box
    > lists Windows NT x86 (Intel). When I log on to the XP system with the
    local
    > administrator account I can not connect and install drivers. The error is
    > "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
    > incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
    server."
    > Logging on as a member of the domain admins worked fine and printing is
    > established.
    >
    > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    >
    > > This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm
    that
    > > the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers
    names
    > > must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Morris
    > > Windows Printing Team
    > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    rights.

    > > "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the

    > > forest.
    > > > There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD
    trusts
    > > > NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your
    > > computer
    > > > which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
    > > your
    > > > system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from
    an
    > > NT4
    > > > server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain.
    I've
    > > tried
    > > > this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and
    > > Print
    > > > Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back
    with 2
    > > > W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.
    > > >
    > > > I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.

    That sounds right but there is no prompt for credentials and the Guest
    account is disabled. Also, the Licensing service is disabled. I've looked
    in the logs and see nothing to indicate a failed authentication but will
    check again. Thanks.

    "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

    > This sounds like an authentication issue. Are you prompted for credentials
    > when connecting to the server or is the guest enabled on the server?
    >
    > You will get this error also if the server client licenses are maxed out but
    > that is another story and I do not think the issue in this case.
    >
    > --
    > Alan Morris
    > Windows Printing Team

    > "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you. FYI, the printer is a Lexmark Optra S 1855. I didn't look at
    > the
    > > actual driver files/versions but I updated the software and the log said
    > that
    > > the XP and 2000 drivers were installed. The Alternate Drivers dialog box
    > > lists Windows NT x86 (Intel). When I log on to the XP system with the
    > local
    > > administrator account I can not connect and install drivers. The error is
    > > "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
    > > incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
    > server."
    > > Logging on as a member of the domain admins worked fine and printing is
    > > established.
    > >
    > > "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
    > >
    > > > This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm
    > that
    > > > the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers
    > names
    > > > must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Alan Morris
    > > > Windows Printing Team
    > > > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
    > > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    > rights.
    > > >
    > > > "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > > forest.
    > trusts
    > > > computer
    > > > your
    > an
    > > > NT4
    > I've
    > > > tried
    > > > Print
    > with 2

Windows Server 2003 Domain Network Printer Windows XP