  • Domain
  • Network Printer
  • Windows XP
November 9, 2004 12:19:08 PM

We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the forest.
There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD trusts
NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your computer
which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact your
system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from an NT4
server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain. I've tried
this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and Print
Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back with 2
W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.

I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.

More about : add network printer problem

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:59:40 PM

This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm that
the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers names
must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the
forest.
> There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD trusts
> NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your
computer
> which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
your
> system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from an
NT4
> server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain. I've
tried
> this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and
Print
> Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back with 2
> W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.
>
> I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:39:04 PM

Thank you. FYI, the printer is a Lexmark Optra S 1855. I didn't look at the
actual driver files/versions but I updated the software and the log said that
the XP and 2000 drivers were installed. The Alternate Drivers dialog box
lists Windows NT x86 (Intel). When I log on to the XP system with the local
administrator account I can not connect and install drivers. The error is
"Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server."
Logging on as a member of the domain admins worked fine and printing is
established.

"Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:

> This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm that
> the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers names
> must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.
>
> --
> Alan Morris
> Windows Printing Team

> "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the
> forest.
> > There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD trusts
> > NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your
> computer
> > which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
> your
> > system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from an
> NT4
> > server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain. I've
> tried
> > this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and
> Print
> > Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back with 2
> > W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.
> >
> > I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.

November 9, 2004 6:11:57 PM

This sounds like an authentication issue. Are you prompted for credentials
when connecting to the server or is the guest enabled on the server?

You will get this error also if the server client licenses are maxed out but
that is another story and I do not think the issue in this case.

--

> Thank you. FYI, the printer is a Lexmark Optra S 1855. I didn't look at
the
> actual driver files/versions but I updated the software and the log said
that
> the XP and 2000 drivers were installed. The Alternate Drivers dialog box
> lists Windows NT x86 (Intel). When I log on to the XP system with the
local
> administrator account I can not connect and install drivers. The error is
> "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed
> incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the
server."
> Logging on as a member of the domain admins worked fine and printing is
> established.
>
> "Alan Morris(MSFT)" wrote:
>
> > This issue should have been addressed with SP2. Can you please confirm
that
> > the XP drivers are in fact installed on the NT4 server. The drivers
names
> > must be the same between the NT4 version and the XP version.
> >
> > --
> > Alan Morris
> > Windows Printing Team
> > Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

rights.

> > "kcnpeppa" <kcnpeppa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We have a Windows 2003 AD domain and an NT4 domain that is not in the

> > forest.
> > > There is a one-way trust between the AD domain and NT4 domain (AD
trusts
> > > NT). I'm getting the error message "A policy is in effect on your
> > computer
> > > which prevents you from connecting to this print queue. Please contact
> > your
> > > system administrator." when I try to add a network printer shared from
an
> > NT4
> > > server to an XP Pro SP2 client that is a member of the AD domain.
I've
> > tried
> > > this logged in as an administrator of both domains. Also, Point and
> > Print
> > > Restrictions are not enabled. I had a similar problem a while back
with 2
> > > W2K Pro machines acting as server and client.
> > >
> > > I'd really like some help with this. It is driving me nuts.

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 1:45:03 PM

That sounds right but there is no prompt for credentials and the Guest
account is disabled. Also, the Licensing service is disabled. I've looked
in the logs and see nothing to indicate a failed authentication but will
check again. Thanks.