Does This Motherboard...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
this motherboard is not exactly for overclocking..
there is an overclockers bios that you can flash in, which allows SOME overclocking, but not much.
and it does have the heatsink mounting holes, for the type that uses bolts instead of a clip that attaches to lugs on the clip.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmm..not sure, but i have had good experience with msi stuff, and they have the overclocking utilities, and live bios update...and so forth..
as for how much, not sure exactly for a good mobo from them.
you might also look into the iwill xp-333...just because it supports ddr333, and would give you some headroom...
but i dont know much about that board...sorry.
i would say you would be looking at like 150 or so (US) for the msi....DONT HOLD ME TO THAT>>>!!!!!!>>>>!!!!<<<<!!!>>>

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
umm, i think that the msi uses the kt266a, and the xp-333 uses the ali magik something...
cant remember exactly what chipset is on there. but i am pretty sure that it is ali magik....
the ECS k7s5a uses one chip, which isnt really a chipset....the sis 735.
there is a new ecs board, which is supposed to have a few more overclocking options, and is pretty cheap...but misses the onboard lan.
it is the ECS k7S6A
note the 6 instead of 5...it is a step up...and uses the sis 745 chip...which is sorta like the 735, as it is one chip.
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1414&DEPA=1" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=22&manufactory=1414&DEPA=1</A>
check it out...the bottom one is the k7s6a...the top one is the k7s5a...
70 for the 6a, and 56 for the 5a.
not too bad if you consider that the board works pretty good.

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
which is supposed to be stable, fast, and reliable!...
i am thinking about this for a next upgrade, but maybe i will wait until the next gen of boards come out...and wait until ddr prices come down...
plus, by the time i save up enough dough for an upgrade of that scale, new stuff will be out..
but i have heard good things about the iwill xp-333

-DAvid

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I've read it on a forum somewhere else (I think it may be amdmb.com) that the Iwill xp333 is only stable if you use just one stick of memory. When you put in the second (or more) it tends to crash. Iwill has an updated Bios for this, but the Bios update slows everything down.

Are there any reviews of the k7s6a out yet?

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I've read it on a forum somewhere else (I think it may be amdmb.com) that the Iwill xp333 is only stable if you use just one stick of memory. When you put in the second (or more) it tends to crash. Iwill has an updated Bios for this, but the Bios update slows everything down.
I've read that too but they were using a prerelease of the XP333. This is definitely not an issue with retail XP333s.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor