Crysis 1 running slower than before!

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Hello! :) My 'gaming' laptop is an Acer 7551g laptop.
The problem is, when I first got my laptop last year, Crysis used to be able to run at 14-17 fps on max settings (everything
Very High but AA is off)
but probably a few months after, the frame rate dropped to around 10fps and sometimes even as low as 7fps which horribly slow. I've since reinstalled Windows 7, two or three times and the problem persists. (Even when I hardly had any programs.)

So what has caused this drop in FPS? Surely it can't be Windows? Can it? De-fragmenting and CCleaner don't make any difference to be honest. That kind of stuff never does. And registry 'fixers' cause more harm than good.

My laptop has the following specifications:

GPU: ATI RADEON HD 5650 (1GB dedicated and in total including shared memory 2815mb)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 Mobile Processor N830 (triple core @ 2.1ghz)
Screen Size: 17.3 inches.
MAX and preferred screen resolution: 1600x900
RAM: 4GB (DDR3)
Hard Drive storage: 500GB (says in the box but really it's more like 452GB)
Available Hard Drive space: 60GB

Any help? I have no idea what's causing this. :eek: :cry:

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Does it make a difference if I use a No CD exe fix file thing....honestly I have the game on a genuine CD but I hate using CDs especially due to the extra noise. I had problems finding a 32bit version that worked so I used a 64 bit file to start Crysis without the CD. (No virus detected.)

By the way, I also use a cooling pad now but when I got the laptop, I didn't even have one so....this is a mystery. Do you need to know my temperatures or anything?

Also, my power settings are on performance.

Any ideas? Sorry it's just Crysis is one of my favourite games and it deserves to be played on max settings. :)

MTindle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Well, I use a no CD patch for Crysis 1 (32bit exe) and it works the same as it always did. I have no idea what gave you this slowdown.

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Fair enough but if it could handle 17fps...I'd be happy to play on those settings at that frame rate. :D

Can you help me if I get the CD loaded? (And the 'no cd thing' removed?)
I really don't think it makes a difference but I'll load the CD if that would allow you to assist me further. :)

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Bump...and also now even on low I'm only getting about 20-25 fps.... That's madness as usually it gets 30-40 fps on low....something's not right. Please if someone could help, I'd really appreciate it.

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I'd hate to triple post but I need help on this one!
Anyone!? Come on this is one of my favourite games on PC!
And yes it's a genuine copy as I've said! Crysis Maximum Edition CD.
Do you need photographic evidence or something? It may sound like I'm being rude but I'm just a bit annoyed and I'm usually polite so ..yeah.
PLEASE HELP! :D At least try....

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

I did that only hours ago. Exactly the same results. Yep, I restarted my PC after uninstalling then when it booted up, I installed
it again with the CD and WITHOUT that no CD thing at all. :(
Any ideas?

Does it help if I mention I attempted to overclock my graphics card and had artifacts a year ago?
I reverted the overclock and then did a system restore and then months later reinstalled Windows 7
two or three times since and the frame rate is still disgraceful for my laptop. (Couldn't believe it would go near 10fps...)

Please tell me I didn't mess up my graphics card? It's only Crysis that has
had this drop in FPS. :heink: So I doubt that I fried my graphics card, it's been going strong for over a year. :pfff:

BTW, can we forget about the no CD thing...I'M NOT USING IT NOW! I reinstalled with the CD ONLY and no patches or anything.
Wait...should I update Crysis....SERIOUSLY doubt any changes.... :eek:

if you have the maximum edition then there is no updates as they are already applied.
setting the game to dx9 mode would help a bit.but if you had 30-40 fps b4 then its likely a heat problem. all you can do is blow out the vents with compressed air.
if your at the cave section the fps drops by about 10 fps compared to outside. normally you just turn down the shadow quality and thats enough to get you playing again with reasonable fps.
updating your drivers may help and making sure your lappy is set to max performance in the power options.
other than that you can check the temps but thats about it.

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Maximum Edition has already applied updates? Are you sure? Because V-Sync
is not listed in the graphics options menu when previously it was. (At that time, I had installed I think 3 updates -- v1.1, 1.2 and 1.2.1)
Although I'm not sure if these updates have anything to do with countering the lag but HIGHLY doubt that also since the first time I played, I didn't install any updates and it ran very well. (17 fps a max settings, no AA) That was when my laptop was new but now it's around a year old. (These things can't die like that?? It could be dust...as you said.)

Also, yeah the temperatures reach quite high when I play Crysis at those settings, the core temperature is about 70 - 80 degree Celsius ....I'm guessing that's quite hot for a laptop right? On idle it's around 50-60 something like that.

As for the location, it doesn't matter, I mean, even just normal jungle areas the FPS has fallen from previous frame rates.

Thanks for the help so far but ....I'm quite hesitant on opening my laptop fan and spraying compressed air to clear the dust. :(
I've opened a laptop before...it didn't go well. Lol. :'(

If anyone knows a fix for this problem, please tell me!

By the way, can I spray compressed air through the fan just like that? Without having to open anything on my laptop? Like spraying through the fan thing.
Is it possible anything may have come loose? Sorry, just throwing random ideas that may click something in you experts' minds. :/

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Have you checked for viruses and the like? That could ah heck your laptop, although it seems to be unlikely to have that big an effect.

Maybe your parts are starting to age from their use. How old is this laptop?

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

I hardly get viruses and I checked my computer with Malwarebytes; my computer seems to be clean. (Did a full scan.)

My laptop is about 1 year and 8 months old.

Evan Dickinson

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
The specifications are good. So your system must run Fast. If your fps is reduced then your system must be overheat. Consider Cleaning it properly. Check your fan or Thermal paste for Overheating.

haloxcrysis1

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for the reply.
I have cleaned out my laptop but the problem remains.
I really want to get those lost FPS back. :/
From 10 to 17 FPS is a bit big of a difference.
10 FPS unplayable but 17 FPS is OK.
Would be nice to fix the problem.
I don't know if it's a software or hardware problem.

Latest posts