Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Am I ready for the future of gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
July 27, 2012 6:32:21 PM

With the following specs, will I be ready for any new releases this Winter and next year?:

MOBO: ASUS P7P55D
CPU: Intel i5 750 @ 2.67
PSU: OCZ 650 watt
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 560TI
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 (4x4GB)
Hard Drives: 2 SSDs (128GB) - 2 HDDs (500GB)
Monitor: LG M2362DP-PZ 23"

The first thing I know I need to change is my CPU fan (incase I want to OC my system, the base fan with the i5 750 is horrid for OCing).

I have the older PSU, the non modular version, which I do not like as there is a lot of unused cables.

I want to possibly upgrade to the newest GPU around, I know my card is still sufficient (as I am getting great FPS in games like BF3 with high settings playing on 1920x1200).

What do you guys think? Should I upgrade anything right away? I feel I may be good for atleast another 6 months, I assembled this system in May 2010, and have only added more RAM, new GPU and the 2 SSDs since, and the thing is still beasting it up..

More about : ready future gaming

July 27, 2012 6:42:27 PM

Quote:
BF3 multiplayer will need you to turn settings down to around medium at that resolution to maintain above 60fps.
You should be fine for anything else however, but some games will need turning down a notch or 2 :) 

Thats what Im playing BF3 MP at (high settings) and getting 50+ then, more in SP obviously. No lag either. Surprising aint it :p 
m
l
July 27, 2012 7:15:21 PM

Quote:
Not particularly, would be very surprised on a 64 man on kharg island or oman...

48-64 player on Metro :) ...Im addicted to Metro and some BFV maps lol

Anyways, do you think my system is good enough for the new Metro, Doom 4, CS:GO or any heavy GPU/CPU related games? Ive read that Skyrim was CPU intensive, and it ran pretty well on my system...
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 7:20:02 PM

The only thing I can see on your system, as you said, is OC your CPU. I build my system back in March 2009 when the i7 920 just came out and have been sitting on it ever since. I've had it OCed to 4GHz for 3 years. The only thing I can really see upgrading on mine is to an SSD and I'm not to much in a hurry for that. It's want windows 7 to support TRIM as I have Vista Ultimate. This system has see it's share of video cards. A 4870, (2) 4870's CF, 5870, 5970, GTX 580, and now a GTX680.

The GTX560Ti should last you for a while unless you get antsy for an upgrade or are one of those people, like me, who want to crank all the graphic settings. What Ti do you have? the 384 or 448 cuda core version?
m
l
July 27, 2012 7:25:04 PM

jay2tall said:
The only thing I can see on your system, as you said, is OC your CPU. I build my system back in March 2009 when the i7 920 just came out and have been sitting on it ever since. I've had it OCed to 4GHz for 3 years. The only thing I can really see upgrading on mine is to an SSD and I'm not to much in a hurry for that. It's want windows 7 to support TRIM as I have Vista Ultimate. This system has see it's share of video cards. A 4870, (2) 4870's CF, 5870, 5970, GTX 580, and now a GTX680.

The GTX560Ti should last you for a while unless you get antsy for an upgrade or are one of those people, like me, who want to crank all the graphic settings. What Ti do you have? the 384 or 448 cuda core version?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=5...
or
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...
One of em is the card IIRC (about 95% sure).

To OC, I pretty much need to change my CPU fan to something, well, GOOD (not stock). Do you think I should add/change the stock fans on the Antec Nine Hundred case (http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-gear_for_gamer...)? I can add 1 more fan I believe on the side that opens (the side that is shown in the main picture on the site has an opening), or it is just an open area for the larger CPU fans, not 100% sure. Only issue is with the extra cable space taken up, I do not know how much room I can fit for a new CPU fan.
m
l

Best solution

July 27, 2012 8:18:41 PM

The Antec 900 is a terrific case. I wouldn't see any reason for a side fan or to change the fan setup. The one true advantage of a side fan is if you have a dual video card setup, the side fan can circulate the air from the hot zone between the cards. I've seen airflow tests and the single best fan location is the rear exhaust, followed by a top blowhole fan. The front fans help slightly, more so for hard drives or long video cards.

The Ti you have is the original 384 model. Which is still fine, I was just curious.

You should be able to OC that chip to mid 3GHz without issues. Once you get to 4GHz and above you will really want a good air cooler or liquid. A modest cooler will get you a pretty decent OC. I'd look at good 120mm fan coolers. Coolermaster makes some decent ones at a good price. The higher end ones expect to pay a decent price.
July 27, 2012 8:30:33 PM

Its a great case, the damn non-used wires angers me lol.

I want a CPU fan that will allow me to OC, I used the stock one and did an OC to 3.2, and tested it, my CPU temps were >80, and I was like OH SH*T and cancelled it and changed back...I want a fan that will be a lot better than the stock, but around the same size (I see some CPU fans are LARGE compared to stock)
m
l
July 30, 2012 1:12:26 PM

Best answer selected by cappo619.
m
l
July 30, 2012 1:53:28 PM

cappo619 said:
Its a great case, the damn non-used wires angers me lol.

I want a CPU fan that will allow me to OC, I used the stock one and did an OC to 3.2, and tested it, my CPU temps were >80, and I was like OH SH*T and cancelled it and changed back...I want a fan that will be a lot better than the stock, but around the same size (I see some CPU fans are LARGE compared to stock)

Zip ties = good cable management. I have a 750W PC Power and Cooling power supply with a whole mess of cables. I zip tied them in nice bundles and tucked them under a little area in the bottom of my case. You barely see them at all.

I would suggest a 120mm fan cooler as the larger fans tend to be quieter and move more air. Below is a cooler that has had good reviews and is pretty cheap. It won't cool like the $60-$80 coolers, but is a far cry from stock. This is on the Canada Newegg site since I see your previous links are from a Canada site,I assume that is where you are.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1683...

m
l
!